Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Suzuki 1400 Intruder--Comfortable for Long Legs?

Any of you guys who are long of leg own or ride one of these bad boys?

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a bike strictly for cruising down the highway--cruising being the operable word--and I really like the looks of this thing but I've never even sat on one so I don't know if it would fit me.
I really don't consider myself a "cruiser guy" but this bike looks like it might be comfortable for freeway flying.

As always, comments or information appreciated.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
MacMcMacmac
Idiots Avant!

Oddometer: 193
I've been mulling this over myself. Cheap as chips compared to a lot of other cruisers. They have some pretty nice colour schemes available.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,568
I rode my friend's 1400 a few months ago. It's doable, just wouldn't want to all day.

Wealth of info on them here,
http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/index.cfm?page=home

been a member there since Jan of '04. Have owned two of the 1500 LC Intruders, and a C90T for a little while as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,977
Rode the piss out of an early one, the seat was brutal on the 93 and older plus it was a four speed, but I rode that thing all over the place. I did put wider bars on it. I keep an eye on Craig's, I'd like to have the later one with the five speed. Sweet engine with hydraulic lifters, would pull the front wheel going into second.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 21,197
I had a leftover 87' that I bought "new" in '89. It was a four speed and wasn't all that happy on the highway. Great torque and very tractable power. I did have trouble with the pilot jet getting plugged constantly. Seems there was an issue with tank sealants Suzuki was using. I had plenty of leg room, though my inseam is 32". Fun bike for goofing off around town and an occasional weekend ride.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #6
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
I rode my friend's 1400 a few months ago. It's doable, just wouldn't want to all day.

Wealth of info on them here,
http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/index.cfm?page=home

been a member there since Jan of '04. Have owned two of the 1500 LC Intruders, and a C90T for a little while as well.
Thanks for the link 2tall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Rode the piss out of an early one, the seat was brutal on the 93 and older plus it was a four speed, but I rode that thing all over the place. I did put wider bars on it. I keep an eye on Craig's, I'd like to have the later one with the five speed. Sweet engine with hydraulic lifters, would pull the front wheel going into second.
"....would pull the front wheel going into second." Nice!
Sounds like this bike would be about as maintenance free as my Buell.
What was brutal about the seat, Larryboy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin View Post
I had a leftover 87' that I bought "new" in '89. It was a four speed and wasn't all that happy on the highway. Great torque and very tractable power. I did have trouble with the pilot jet getting plugged constantly. Seems there was an issue with tank sealants Suzuki was using. I had plenty of leg room, though my inseam is 32". Fun bike for goofing off around town and an occasional weekend ride.
Sounds like it would work for what I want but with a 38" inseam, I'm wondering if my knees would be into the bars.
What seemed unhappy about it on the highway?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 AM   #7
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMcMacmac View Post
I've been mulling this over myself. Cheap as chips compared to a lot of other cruisers. They have some pretty nice colour schemes available.
Yeah, they do seem like a bargain for sure.
I like their color schemes as well--especially the burgundy.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post

"....would pull the front wheel going into second." Nice!
Sounds like this bike would be about as maintenance free as my Buell.
What was brutal about the seat, Larryboy?

I'm a long legged 36" inseam, the bike fit me like a standard.

It basically didn't have a seat, so thin that it was like sitting on bricks. They were trying to keep the seat height down, but you had to be young and into pain to sit on that thing all day...luckily I was back then.

The 94(or was it 95?) and up got thick cushy seats and a five speed trans, wiki says 97 for a five speed in the USA, I'm pretty sure it was 94 or 95 as I remember mine being the last of the four speeds. It really doesn't matter as the engine liked to rev and before I started tweeking things it was in the high 50 mpg range and at today's used prices a custom seat is no big deal in the budget. The only funky thing about the bike is the 15" rear tire, I always thought a 17 or 18" hoop laced to the stock hub would be pretty cool.

My old 93:

Old 03-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Notice how the seat looks puffy on this later one:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4938163697.html
Old 03-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 212
A few yrs ago when I decided to get back to riding after a 15yr hiatus, I bought a NOS '08 S83 as my "re-entry" bike. Always loved the Intruder styling. And the mid-controls fit my 30" inseam much better than most of the current folded taco forward foot pegs. Not sure how that would work for the long legged, but the ergos worked well enough for me I probably could've toured on it.

I did replace the stock handlebar with a flatter superbike bar, as I prefer a bit of forward lean, even on a cruiser. I would imagine taller riders might also want to consider bar swap.

All in all, a great cruiser from the golden age of Japanese home-grown design (not HD-clone) cruisers. In the end though, the mechanical speedo, carbs, wire wheels and tube tires are just too ancient for me to want to hang on to it.

Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
GDI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I had a '97(?) for a couple of years. It was the 5 speed model. Though, there's not much advantage over the 4 speed from what I understand. Suzuki just stuck another gear between 3 and 4 and called it a 5 speed. . . . It was designed in the 80's--it's not geared for today's interstate speed limits.

I have 35" inseam, and fabricated my own forwards for it. I also added a set of 10" mini-apes. It was the most comfortable cruiser I've had, and fit like a glove. I had several 300 mile days on it. I also thought it handled quite well.

That said, I was *really* glad to get rid of it. It is a bitch to work on. The carbs are separated by the rear jug. One is behind it the other on top the engine. Suzuki used a sheathed cable to synchronize the carbs. Put that together with the way the carbs are shoe-horned into the frame, and it is just impossible to work on. I did have the carbs off at one time for a re-jet as PO had installed loud pipes. I found what was left of the front air-filter (two air-boxes, too) inside the carb. I got everything cleaned up and working good and managed to get it all back together and even synchronized the carbs--also managed to strip out the really cheap synch cables in the process.

Then I was riding with a friend in the middle of nowhere and nearly ran out of gas because the tank on the Intruder is simply not adequate to feed that thirsty beast--120 miles and you better see the gas station because you're going to be pushing soon! Anyway ended up filling up at a "gas station" that was a single pump in a "town" that isn't on any map. The next day the bike is starting to die when coming up to stop signs. I figure bad gas, but was never able to get it running correctly again as just did not have enough enthusiasm to get back into it after having been in there once!

The Intruder would pull hard from a stop, but really didn't have any top end. Mine could have been jetted wrong. I'm no motorhead, and never have had the opportunity to run one that hadn't been molested, but mine would just run out of breath at 93mph. It really wouldn't go any faster. I sold it and replaced with an 1100 Shadow. I've got the Shadow doing over 100mph indicated and running real well, though it took a while to get it there. No, I don't race cruisers, but I mention it more as a way of comparing one bike and its issues against another. I will say that I enjoyed the bike, the comfort, the way it went down the road, it's power characteristics, etc. more than the Shadow. OTOH, the Shadow has a decent (not great) size tank, and runs good with anvil-like reliability. Yeah, I'm gonna sell it too, but clearly for a different reason!

Even w/o the carbs, synchronizing, top-end speed issues, the size of the gas tank is an issue for anyone that actually intends to ride it anywhere. Filling up all the time is a major PIA.

Also, Intruder is known for clutch problems. They have weak springs or springs that get weak. They're known to fail around 15k miles. There is a fix in the aftermarket. There was a guy on Intruder Alert who sold springs to everyone there, and they work!

They are a good bike for short distances and showing off, I guess. . . . Still want one?

GDI
GDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post

Also, Intruder is known for clutch problems. They have weak springs or springs that get weak. They're known to fail around 15k miles. There is a fix in the aftermarket. There was a guy on Intruder Alert who sold springs to everyone there, and they work!

GDI
Not exactly true, it has a back torque limiting clutch which has to be ridden differently. After hauling ass down the highway at 75 mph it's best to roll off, brake down to 35 mph or so before downshifting. The clutch wear is from slipping it on aggressive downshifts, fun, but bad for clutch life.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #13
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great info guys, keep it coming.

Larryboy and Volfy--beautiful bikes! Man, I'm just enamored with this freakin' bike. I love the way it looks.

GDI--You haven't talked me out of it yet.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 21,197
It didn't feel happy because huge V-twins hate having their neck wringed out to keep up!

It really wasn't geared for highway, at least comfortably. It did it, didn't seem to hurt anything, it just felt "wrong".

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #15
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin View Post
It didn't feel happy because huge V-twins hate having their neck wringed out to keep up!

It really wasn't geared for highway, at least comfortably. It did it, didn't seem to hurt anything, it just felt "wrong".
Without a tach I never gave it a second thought, twist and go 75mph all day long.