Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #91
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666
So, where do I get replacement needle? Stock is the only option we have?

If I go to high elevation (WMRS) should I go back to 3 clip position? I run 4th at sea level.
the easiest thing would be to lower the clip and turn in the fuel/air just a bit. if you are going to be at high elevations for a long period you may consider dropping back to the smaller idle jet (assuming you installed the larger 47.5).

most likely though, if you are just going to be up and down, i wouldnt worry about it too much. this carb is VERY good at taking elevation changes without any or much adjustment.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #92
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4
most likely though, if you are just going to be up and down, i wouldnt worry about it too much. this carb is VERY good at taking elevation changes without any or much adjustment.

laramie
Last time I went to Bishop for WMRS(6K at camp site and many rides go up to 10+k) my bike had a lot less power and bad gas mileage. I didn't want to bother with it and used 87 and it actually helped.
I'll be there only for 3 days, but now i can rejet it easily since I took my carb out few times and have loaded screw installed.

So, the only source for spare needles is from the dealer? There are no "performance" needles like JD for BST?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #93
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

im sure if you did some hunting you could find other needle for the bike but i personally have not heard of anyone using one. i know there are several bikes that run this carb, so im sure there are others available.

when you hit 10+ in elevation it reasonable to think that you will loose some power. adapting for it though isnt that tough. you can easily access the needle, the main jet (remove the cap on the bottom of the carb), and the fuel screw. thats all you really need and all of it can be done in under 10 mins. i would go (depending on mods) to the 3rd clip, low 150's MJ, and turn in the air screw just a touch (maybe not at all if you change the others) but you wont know till you try.

good luck,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #94
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,168
needles

I cannot recommend one, but here is Factory Pro's LC4 kit:
http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodkt07.html

And here is a chart some mofo put together (ferget who):
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #95
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,907
Keep it simple.
It's not going to make much difference what you do, just live with a good average. Fuel injected bikes suffer just as much and they auto compensate.
The factory in Mattighofen is 40 miles from the Alps and they tested the bikes from sea level to Alpen high every day, why do you think the BST is on the bike?
They could have put on any carb. The BST compensates the best of any, BMW used diaphragm carbs on the Airheads for exactly the same reason.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:46 AM   #96
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,907
Slide needle hole worn oblong.

Guys, tore my carb apart to rebuild it for third time at 35K miles, frikkin jet needle almost sawed in half cause the hole in the slide is so worn and it must have rattled causing the wear, the rest of the slide is fine, anyone know a cheap fix to make the hole round again?

Guess I have to replace it otherwise.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #97
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,079
I live right at 5,000' and have rode my 640 from Baja to passes in CO without re-jetting.

I recently pulled the cover off the side of the air box and raised the needle one clip and it gave me a noticeable boost in power, but we were in some water last weekend and it felt like it was sucking some at times so I will have to either buy the modded cover or do something myself.

The BST is not perfect, but it will work without being jetted perfect. YRMV
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #98
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Guys, tore my carb apart to rebuild it for third time at 35K miles, frikkin jet needle almost sawed in half cause the hole in the slide is so worn and it must have rattled causing the wear, the rest of the slide is fine, anyone know a cheap fix to make the hole round again?

Guess I have to replace it otherwise.
b
that sucks man, the new slide is not cheap.

since your other one is ruined though, you might as well play with it and see what you can do. you may try some JB weld and use a little dab to fill the hole, let it harden, then re-drill the hole. the trick is gonna be getting it centered. if your off it will bind in the needle jet and may cause some sticking and other issues. other than that i cant think of much. sorry.

you may also think about pulling your carb a little more often. its not hard (as you have figured out) and allows you to keep an eye on issues like that. i used to pull mine every time i did an oil change.

good luck,

laramie

Old 06-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #99
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666
So, the only source for spare needles is from the dealer? There are no "performance" needles like JD for BST?
DJ do a needle/jet kit for the DR650.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #100
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Symbiosis - working together for mutual benefit.

Just to be sure those working with their BST-40 on an LC4 have all the important information, I'd like to remind everyone of Creeper's excelent LC4 setup thread available here.

It touches on many of the same topics as here but expands the conversation to include more detail on the whole intake/carburetion/exhaust system and fine tuning. You'll find an approach to setting the pilot circuit that you won't see anywhere else and it works better that the normal way.

Now go out and get an adjustable air screw and quit burning your fingers.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #101
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
b, check the slide guide, too. My BST-equipped Triumph wore the slide guide, allowing the whole slide and hence jet needle to float fore/aft, sawing the new needle jet oval in short order.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #102
drdave_2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I put some solder in the hole then re drilled it to the correct size. But would be better to replace with new parts. And this is why it is hard to tune properly.

drdave_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #103
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
DJ do a needle/jet kit for the DR650.
id be hesitant toward doing this. the dr650 and the Lc4 are 2 completely diff monsters. i would be surprised if it truly was better than the stock. i personally think that most issues that are had with this carb can be solved with adjusting fuel/air, proper idle jet, correct clip position, and a good Main. i dont know that anyone can really be able to tell the diff between diff needles considering how forgiving this carb is to begin with. just just my opinion though and if anyone has any info to the contrary, please speak up....

laramie

Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #104
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdave_2006
I put some solder in the hole then re drilled it to the correct size. But would be better to replace with new parts. And this is why it is hard to tune properly.

we have a diff slide (assuming that is what you are showing) and solder would not work, it would just melt it....

laramie

Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #105
BLINKER 152
mudlover

Oddometer: 224
jet needle 6G5

speaking of needles... just took my mikuni off the ktm 640 e to find my needle is shot probly from the vibration wear thing. well they are currently on backorder from ktm... of course i am scheduled to leave on TAT in 2 weeks. money saved, time off work , kid at the grandparents,ect. i need a needle for my mikuni bad, very bad asap. my mental sanity may depend on it . any body out there got one settin round the toolbox. i will pay you . any body know where else i should look to get one asap. any body smarter than me know about if i can use one from a dr650 ? would the needle be the same in their mikuni if i cant locate ktm part.? whos got an extra needle for my katoom????? any one? send me a pm please. ktm part #584.31.034.6G5
BLINKER 152 is offline   Reply With Quote