Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 AM   #61
Tarmo
Teiki Tiisi

Oddometer: 78
Entrance to Hitler bunker in Wolfsschanze. During 4 years in WWII he spent there about 800 days. Ceiling is about 8 meters of concrete. Wow!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #62
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Holy mackeral... designing bunkers for nukes even before there were nukes!
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #63
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,218
North of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Abandonded tank and reminder of the nasty civil war between the Marxist Derg, who overthrew Halie Selassie in 1974,
and the Ethiopian People's Revolution Front who finally overthrew the Derg in 1990 after that 17 year civil war in Ethiopia.

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #64
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmo
Entrance to Hitler bunker in Wolfsschanze. During 4 years in WWII he spent there about 800 days. Ceiling is about 8 meters of concrete. Wow!

whoa!

any more pics?

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 AM   #65
peter13
FJ cruiser

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider
North of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Is that one of them there new hover tanks....
Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 AM   #66
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Ft. Jefferson, Dry Tortugas NP. Largest masonry structure in the Western Hemisphere. No bike pics, as it's 68 miles west of Key West in the Gulf of Mexico, so only boats and floatplanes can get there. Became obsolete before it was even finished. I have a bunch of pictures, but here's one for now of the main entrance over the moat.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #67
SR-Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Fort Verle near "Kaiserjägerweg" Trentino

Monte Grappa, Italy, Venetien

1989 Spain
1992 Ungary
1993 France
1994 Canada/USA
1995 Alaska
1997 USA
1998 France, Ireland, the Alps
1999 France
2000 New York
2001 Sweden
2002 getting father
2003 Sweden
2004 Netherlands
2005 France/Austria
2006 Danmark/Austria
2007 France/Austria
2008 France/Sweden
2009 France (again and again)/Switzerland....and more to come i hope
SR-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #68
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Cool lets see more

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRip
Ft. Jefferson, Dry Tortugas NP. Largest masonry structure in the Western Hemisphere. No bike pics, as it's 68 miles west of Key West in the Gulf of Mexico, so only boats and floatplanes can get there. Became obsolete before it was even finished. I have a bunch of pictures, but here's one for now of the main entrance over the moat.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #69
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter13
Is that one of them there new hover tanks....
yeah kinda like the Harrier of overland ops... ;-)

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #70
Rasbutan
Unnormal

Oddometer: 2,722
Living in SE WI blows. No bases, and no dirt roads.

Keep this thread up!!!!!!!!
Rasbutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #71
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
More Fort Jefferson

Here's from the other side of the entrance on the moat wall. (Not sure why there's a moat when it's already surrounded by the ocean...preservation, probably). Those birds are called "Magnificent Frigatebirds" for anyone who is into birds. They were just sitting there stationary on the breeze the whole time we were there.

It is in various states of disrepair. Since naming it as a National Park fairly recently, they've been working to fix it, somewhat.

Getting materials out here was such a PITA. It is called the "Dry" Tortugas because there is no fresh water on any of these very small islands. The white on these walls is salt. They used saltwater to mix the mortar because it would be too costly to barge in fresh water to do so.

My avatar picture is me standing in one of the windows on one of the corners on the 2nd floor. This is the view.

Here is from my friend's perspective from the seawall.

This was the interior of the fort, from the top of the wall. That large structure is the ammo storage building thing (I forgot the term he used). As you can see, there were a lot of guns, as they had them lined up in most of those openings on multiple levels.

The lighthouse and one of the leftover guns on top of the wall. I don't recall the stats on the gun, but for perspective, I am 5'9" tall.

Here's a view looking the opposite direction as before. This is south, toward Cuba. Those boats in the foreground landed the day before this was taken, from Cuba. They have old barely-running Chevy V8's in them, you can see light through both sides of both of them in places. They carried something like 18 people on them.

The rule is, if Cubans are intercepted at sea, they get boarded, taken into custody, and their craft is sunk. They get taken care of, but sent back to Cuba. If they make it to US soil, they get immunity, are taken to Key West to be processed and released. Key west is closer to Cuba. Key West has a Coast Guard base and a Navy base on the island. The Dry Tortugas has 3 Park Rangers. They come here. (The park rangers are very heavily armed).

There are a bunch more pictures in my photobucket here. I'll re-arrange them when I get our SmugMug put together.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #72
molten
Decrepit Geezer

Oddometer: 1,060
Very Cool!
'11 Yamaha YZF450
molten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #73
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 218
Normandy

A picture of the Longues-sur-Mer gun emplacements on the Normandy coastline. This is an area I like to keep coming back to as there's so much to see and we never seem to have enough time to fit all the points of interest in.
Attached Images

Davy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #74
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 218
Command/range bunker.
Attached Images

Davy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #75
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Dr Mudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRip
Here's from the other side of the entrance on the moat wall. (Not sure why there's a moat when it's already surrounded by the ocean...preservation, probably). Those birds are called "Magnificent Frigatebirds" for anyone who is into birds. They were just sitting there stationary on the breeze the whole time we were there.

It is in various states of disrepair. Since naming it as a National Park fairly recently, they've been working to fix it, somewhat.

Getting materials out here was such a PITA. It is called the "Dry" Tortugas because there is no fresh water on any of these very small islands. The white on these walls is salt. They used saltwater to mix the mortar because it would be too costly to barge in fresh water to do so.

My avatar picture is me standing in one of the windows on one of the corners on the 2nd floor. This is the view.

Here is from my friend's perspective from the seawall.

This was the interior of the fort, from the top of the wall. That large structure is the ammo storage building thing (I forgot the term he used). As you can see, there were a lot of guns, as they had them lined up in most of those openings on multiple levels.

The lighthouse and one of the leftover guns on top of the wall. I don't recall the stats on the gun, but for perspective, I am 5'9" tall.

Here's a view looking the opposite direction as before. This is south, toward Cuba. Those boats in the foreground landed the day before this was taken, from Cuba. They have old barely-running Chevy V8's in them, you can see light through both sides of both of them in places. They carried something like 18 people on them.

The rule is, if Cubans are intercepted at sea, they get boarded, taken into custody, and their craft is sunk. They get taken care of, but sent back to Cuba. If they make it to US soil, they get immunity, are taken to Key West to be processed and released. Key west is closer to Cuba. Key West has a Coast Guard base and a Navy base on the island. The Dry Tortugas has 3 Park Rangers. They come here. (The park rangers are very heavily armed).

There are a bunch more pictures in my photobucket here. I'll re-arrange them when I get our SmugMug put together.
I did see it mentioned but this is where Dr Mudd was imprisoned. For those not into history, he was the Dr who trreated Booth after he shot Lincoln.
He was eventually pardoned after helping save lives of the other prisoners at the fort from some dreaded tropical disease.
eh
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote