Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #106
jojo_tkc
*Doesn't Play*

Oddometer: 44

This thread is f'n epic, awesome pics so far folks, keep 'em coming.
jojo_tkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #107
motojedi
asphalt adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Ft. Laramie

Me (left) and my friend Archie on our way out to the BMWMOA Rally in Spokane in '04.

Captain's quarters
Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #108
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Now THIS is a topic I can get into!

Missile Silos in CO and WY:

Atlas D near Carpenter, WY:

The Atlas D sites had 3 large above ground launchers with the missile stored horizontally and raised to launch.

Atlas E silo near Greeley, CO:

Close-up of the sign pictured above:

The Atlas E was in a semi-underground silo (sometimes called a "coffin silo" and was deployed in a single-missile configuration. Like the Atlas D it was stored horizontally and raised up to the vertical position for firing.

Titan I silos East of Denver:

Another one:

The Titan 1 was a huge site with 3 launchers and a large crew. The missiles were controlled in flight by radio. These two small hatches cover the antenna silos that controlled the missiles:

These calibration targets were used to calibrate the radios that controlled the missile:

These are the actual silo covers for the 3 missiles.

This is either an access portal or a vent of some kind

Will post more later...
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:44 AM   #109
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Not my pics but here is a link to a WWII battery installed to protect Wellington against a possible invasion by Japanese forces. Never fired in anger, only a few test shots. Ultimately the guns were cut up for scrap and sold to Japan (!)
I have been to the site on open days, amazing how a governement CAN get things can get done when there is a pressing need.

http://www.whfrs.org.nz/index.html
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #110
malpasman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Found this thing at a former Royal Air Force airport in Weeze, western germany. Huge!

Hi Arktus

The missile looks like a Bristol Bloodhound SAM, built by the Bristol Aeroplane Co & Ferranti, in the UK.

It came into service in the late 50's - early 60's and was sold to various countries, withdrawn from service in the 90's.

Mk 1

Length 7.7 m
Launch Weight 2,000 kg
Range 30 Km
Propulsion 2 x Thor Ram Jet Engines
4 x Gosling Solid Fuel Rockets

Mk 2

Length 8.45 m
Launch Weight 2,270 kg
Range 85 km
Propulsion 2 x Thor Ram Jet engines [Uprated]
4 x Gosling Solid Fuel Rockets [Uprated]
Top Speed Mach 2.7

Mk 2 Acceleration

Just Cleared Launcher 400 mph
25 feet from Launcher 720 mph
3 to 4 seconds after launch
4 boosters fall away 1,800 mph [Mach 2.5]

Ride safe MM
malpasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #111
Damir
AKA Pudla

Oddometer: 379
Mareth Line, Tunisia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mareth_Line

Tunisia ride report

Ukraine, Russia and Romania

Croatian Backroads
Damir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #112
puncar thogoole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Small gun!, Cartagena, Spain.
15" Vickers guns (made in Barrow in Furness, UK) apparently they could fire a near 1 ton projectile 20 miles
!
Attached Images

puncar thogoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #113
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
That is incredible... is it WWI vintage? Some of our guys were testing at the Yuma Proving Grounds earlier this year and apparently one of Bull's Superguns is sitting out there.
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #114
puncar thogoole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
That is incredible... is it WWI vintage? Some of our guys were testing at the Yuma Proving Grounds earlier this year and apparently one of Bull's Superguns is sitting out there.
This is what I've read about them -

http://www.mazarron.com/Leisure/Artillery/

http://www.discoveringcartagena.com/guns.htm

"they fired a projectile weighing nearly 900Kg to a maximum range of 35Km. The warhead was charged with 18Kg of TNT"
puncar thogoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #115
dr_claw
n00b

Oddometer: 6
My wife in Quebec City this past fall. There are about a dozen cannons around that side of the harbor.

Cheers!
Attached Images

dr_claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #116
Timo Explorer
Trail Wizard

Oddometer: 256
Canadain Air Force Museum Ride

Greetings all,

we had our first DBRiders dayride of the year May 23. in attendance were myself, Dangerous, Bjorn, Mike and Mel and of course international adventurer, Senor' Feliz (AKA Skippy).
we met in Manchester at 9am and from there rode to the Bowmanvile area to view Camp 30. http://www.ontarioheritageconnection.org/live/main.php?page=news.200903_d.html
this is (as far as we know) the only surviving POW camp in N.America for Germans from WWII. post war it was used as a private school and had additional buildings added. as a POW camp, it had a large rec centre and swimming pool. krauts do enjoy their leisure time. okay, in between shifts digging the tunnel to get out. prisoners were shipped by train to this remote area (at the time). as a coincedence, it was located only 30 minutes from Camp X. Camp X was the topsecret spy training school.
from there we had a loverly ride east to Canadian Forces Base Trenton and a stop at the Air force museum. http://www.airforcemuseum.ca/
we were given some excellent info from a former RCAF pilot named Nev. he served in Germany during the cold war driving CF-104 Starfighters. after Canada's departure from Germany he moved onto the instructor role and managed to accumulate 3000 hours on Tudor trainers in that role. this museum houses the only complete Handley Page Halifax, NA337, left in existence. http://www.airforcemuseum.ca/reconstructing337.htm
this plane has an amazing history and is worth reading about.
Mel and Mike of M&M departed ways at this point and headed back west. our ride continued to Picton. there we found the partly abandoned WWII airbase known as Number 31 Bombing and Gunnery school (later renamed CFB Picton). it was built as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. http://www.ontarioabandonedplaces.com/cfbpicton/picton.asp.
most of the hangers, barracks and admin buildings are still standng but are in poor condition. the runway is still active and used for glider training.
the ride ended with us seeing Bjorn ride west into the sunset as Timo, Steven and myself pointed our loyal steeds north back to my house. arrived home around 7:30pm. total ride was just over 500km. fun!!

The following were all taken at the former CFB Picton.

"You can't stay young, but you can stay immature." -- Red Green
"Never leave spontaneity to chance." -- Neil Peart
Timo Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #117
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
bumpity bumpity BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #118
jigdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktus
Found this thing at a former Royal Air Force airport in Weeze, western germany. Huge!

Is that an sa2/3?
jigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #119
Boonie Buster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Sorry if I don't follow rules, but I just don't sometimes, so you can delete this if you must...

I LOVE WWII and anything to do with it. So I gotta share some of my pics.

I didn't RIDE here but i did take the next best thing...

My VW *runs and hides*

This is FT. Stevens in Astoria Or.. We went here over the 4th of July weekend this year. WWI and WWII installment stuff here.

My GF the typical Seattlite!

Veldan the Texan TourGuide showing us his 6" gun

Over looking the Columbia River...

Bunker behind the main fort,

View from the bunker.

Two things to notice about this flag...

Ft. Columbia across the columbia river in washington. Only two of these guns exist in the world and the other one was behind me, they were shipped over from europe after the war...
Boonie Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #120
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Cool post. Have a VW m'self, so I'm sympathetic. Not that I ever drive it.

48 stars, neato--I stopped there.

Here's from this morning, some of the description is snipped from another inmate's post on the South Jersey Tag-O-Rama:

This site was home to the Boeing Michigan Aeronautical Research Center facility where a fire burned within a missle silo that contaminated soil that now lives in Utah. The Air Force stopped using it in 1972.

Off Rt 539, near the Unit Training Equipment Site where I drew M48s, M60s and M1s for almost 20 years. I didn't even know this was across the street from our motor pool until after I was out of the tank battalion.

This is on the east side of the site:

From the contruction entrance: 1.8 miles north on the gravel road then 90 degree left for .2 and then 90 right turn for .2

Good luck, I'm open for hints: 784-6003 (Area Code 609)--call me if you're out looking and stuck or gonna head out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXS
That was a very cool place indeed:

The BOMARC missile was huge: each one stood 45 feet tall & weighed 16,000 pounds. It still holds the record for the longest range of any surface-to-air missile ever developed: 440 miles. It also had a maximum speed of nearly Mach 4.

The McGuire BOMARC site measures approximately 2,500' long by 1,800' wide. It was built with a total of 56 individual BOMARC A missile launch buildings, and an additional 28 individual BOMARC B missile launch buildings. The McGuire BOMARC site was activated in 1959, and was manned by the 46th Air Defense Missile Squadron. It was initially armed with the first-generation IM-99A missile, and was later upgraded with the second-generation IM-99B missile.

The McGuire BOMARC site is infamous as the site of a radioactive material spill.
The incident happened on July 7, 1960, according to the book “U.S. Nuclear Weapons: A Secret History”, by Chuck Hansen. A nuclear-armed BOMARC missile in ready storage condition (permitting launch in two minutes) was destroyed by explosion & fire after a high pressure helium tank exploded & ruptured the missile's fuel tanks.
The warhead was also destroyed by the fire although the high explosive did not detonate. Plutonium fragments from the warhead were spread over an area surrounding the launcher. The firefighting efforts around the missile building resulted in contamination being washed into the soil & a nearby stream. All identifiable fragments of the warhead were recovered, but the surrounding soil in the site has remained in a low level radioactive state for over 40 years.

MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote