User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
kcsv650s OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hybrid Hack

My SV streetfighter is my only form of transportation. I need a hack that I can transport my dog and stuff with when necessary. I have decided to build my own hack. I do have an electric scooter sitting around that runs fine. It is one of the big street legal versions. I am thinking about buying a smaller bike 250ish and putting a hack on it using the scooter drivetrain as the hack wheel to provide extra power when on the highway, for passing etc.. I would just buy a bigger bike to hack but am always broke due to paying off my student loans. Has anybody built a hybrid hack before, or am I nuts
kcsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
VERY interesting idea.

First, you'll need to decide if the elecrtic system gets charged by the bike engine, or at home. Then you'll need some sort of speed sensing/control for the electric part to keep it matched to the bike. This is gonna take a lot of experimentation, and that gets big-budget really quick.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
kcsv650s OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Well I have all the problems worked out except the speed control. I was thinking about trying to use the controller from the scoot and an aux throttle. The electric motor has the potential to run much faster than the hack will ever go. Under load is a different story its top speed is about forty. However as an auxillary power source I was going to try and run the electric motor as kind of a cvt because it will slip. This is where I am so far.
kcsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
If the hack wheel is the same diameter as the tug rear then a simple circuit to match rotation speed during straight ahead driving, with proportional rotation speed varied to match left-to-right handlebar position could be the answer.

While, if the hack wheel is a different rolling circumferance than the tug rear, the difference of required wheel r.pm. must be allowed for in straight ahead driving.

Sensing wheel r.p.m. is part of AntiBrakeSkid technology!

These things are already managed in devices such as multirotor R.C. Helicopters where the 'pilot' is just left with broad movement decisions.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,992
What does the electric scoot do to freewheel? Or does it freewheel?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote