ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #1621
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Yummy.
I lust for a souped up Sportster, maybe the newish 1200R would suit me. With hydraulic lifters and a belt drive it should be maintenence free yes? Yes?
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #1622
GatSS
Canadian eh

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I lust for a souped up Sportster, maybe the newish 1200R would suit me. With hydraulic lifters and a belt drive it should be maintenence free yes? Yes?
Me too! I would like to get another one day and do it cafe style. I rebuilt mine a few years ago using the NRHS 1250 kit. I fiddled with it a lot but it was fairly maintenance free, oil changes and tires (mmm clean belt drive).
2009 CRF50
GatSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #1623
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Is that the original tire Jeff? With only 2300 miles? How long have you had that bike? Its good for a couple thousand more if you stay away from sand.
I have had it since April 2010, but this bike has some drama surrounding it. It really didn't get ridden until Kawasaki fixed it in April 2011.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #1624
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSS View Post
Me too! I would like to get another one day and do it cafe style. I rebuilt mine a few years ago using the NRHS 1250 kit. I fiddled with it a lot but it was fairly maintenance free, oil changes and tires (mmm clean belt drive).
This for SURE! We will see how this CB project goes, but I could certainly see fixing up a Sportie all cafe style as my road ride. Again, so many bikes, so little money
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #1625
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
. Again, so many bikes, so little money

Buy low, sell high

Of course that may involve a little investment and a lot of elbow grease investment.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #1626
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Just curious if there was still interest of people going up north to Big Bay this late Sept/early October.. just trying to figure out how to utilized my 3 weeks of vacation time I have left to use this year.
Still in my books. We had Than, 1traak, 04, Ted and I tentatively signed up for the excursion. Everybody still in???

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #1627
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

[QUOTE=Thanantos;16451345]I have had it since April 2010, but this bike has some drama surrounding it. It really didn't get ridden until Kawasaki fixed it in April 201QUOTE]......................One year? Thats bullshit! What sort of issues? I'll lend you a low mile trailwing. Where are you going, if I may be so rude to ask?........
Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #1628
BrittC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Hey folks,

August 15 through 20th I'll have my recently acquired Caponord up at our family cottage near Traverse City / Kingsley for a week. I've always had streetbikes so I'm just getting my feet wet (er... dirty) this year. I'm doing my research to try and map out some seasonal roads up there but I wonder if anyone who knows the area would be up for meeting one of those days and showing me some of the good riding up there.

I saw the recent Sleeping Bear thread and am looking forward to some of the roads mentioned there, but surely there are other areas I should be looking at.
BrittC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #1629
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittC View Post
Hey folks,

August 15 through 20th I'll have my recently acquired Caponord up at our family cottage near Traverse City / Kingsley for a week. I've always had streetbikes so I'm just getting my feet wet (er... dirty) this year. I'm doing my research to try and map out some seasonal roads up there but I wonder if anyone who knows the area would be up for meeting one of those days and showing me some of the good riding up there.

I saw the recent Sleeping Bear thread and am looking forward to some of the roads mentioned there, but surely there are other areas I should be looking at.
Congrats on the Capo. I sold mine a couple of years ago. Fun bike. It's a lot of bike to learn dirt riding but it is a capable bike with the right tires. If you can find a volunteer to steer you away from any deep sand until you get some dirt experience, thinks will go better for you. I would suggest dropping the tire pressures to the low 20's while you are off pavement and don't forget to stand up on the pegs if (when) it gets squirrely. Learning to balance speed an power in sand is an acquired technique. Going too slow is actually much more difficult but going too fast is bad too. Good luck and enjoy. You do have the fairing guards, right?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #1630
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
Still in my books. We had Than, 1traak, 04, Ted and I tentatively signed up for the excursion. Everybody still in???
I'm still in.

2013 V-Strom
Old 07-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #1631
Thanantos
Ride hard.

[QUOTE=exoff-roadgoat;16452308]
Quote:
I have had it since April 2010, but this bike has some drama surrounding it. It really didn't get ridden until Kawasaki fixed it in April 201QUOTE]......................One year? Thats bullshit! What sort of issues? I'll lend you a low mile trailwing. Where are you going, if I may be so rude to ask?........
Headed up to Brimley with DeutschMark to a buddy's cabin for a few days.
Then we'll strike out for 2 days of riding/camping on our own.

2013 V-Strom
Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #1632
BrittC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrnt View Post
Congrats on the Capo. I sold mine a couple of years ago. Fun bike. It's a lot of bike to learn dirt riding but it is a capable bike with the right tires. If you can find a volunteer to steer you away from any deep sand until you get some dirt experience, thinks will go better for you. I would suggest dropping the tire pressures to the low 20's while you are off pavement and don't forget to stand up on the pegs if (when) it gets squirrely. Learning to balance speed an power in sand is an acquired technique. Going too slow is actually much more difficult but going too fast is bad too. Good luck and enjoy. You do have the fairing guards, right?
I'm looking to stick to seasonal roads that are not technical so I don't have a lot of worries. For anything more than that I'll get the KLR up there. Our cottage is on one and I've navigated that on a VFR and Blackbird without much trouble.

Now for fairing guards....... I really need a set but they're not available from Aprilia at the moment (and from what dealers are telling me, there likely won't be more). Hepco Becker still makes them and I'll probably order a set when funds allow...
BrittC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #1633
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
I'm looking to stick to seasonal roads that are not technical so I don't have a lot of worries. For anything more than that I'll get the KLR up there. Our cottage is on one and I've navigated that on a VFR and Blackbird without much trouble.

Now for fairing guards....... I really need a set but they're not available from Aprilia at the moment (and from what dealers are telling me, there likely won't be more). Hepco Becker still makes them and I'll probably order a set when funds allow...
Keep an eye on ebay. I got mine there and the OEM ones are really heavy duty. Don't ask me how I know........
Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #1634
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Hey folks,

Post this again or PM me when your going to go, I would be happy to tag along if I'm in that neck of the woods........
Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #1635
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrnt View Post
Keep an eye on ebay. I got mine there and the OEM ones are really heavy duty. Don't ask me how I know........
What? How do you know?

Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote