ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #46
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by betasigscoot
New to Battle Creek. Any fun short rides within 60mi? Seems like everything's paved...
I've done some road riding north of you in the Gun Lake/Yankee Springs area and there are gravel roads all over the place. Also west and north of Kazoo there is some gravel to explore. I've always done either road riding or hard core offroading, so the unpaved back roads thing is new to me. That's the main reason I bought a DR650. I guess I have alot of exploring to do practically in my own back yard. I'm not a GPSer type so this could get interesting. I should at least get a compass.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #47
betasigscoot
Palaverer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat
I've done some road riding north of you in the Gun Lake/Yankee Springs area and there are gravel roads all over the place. Also west and north of Kazoo there is some gravel to explore. I've always done either road riding or hard core offroading, so the unpaved back roads thing is new to me. That's the main reason I bought a DR650. I guess I have alot of exploring to do practically in my own back yard. I'm not a GPSer type so this could get interesting. I should at least get a compass.
Hi
Thanks for the tip. Gravel & dirt roads were easy to come by in IA. I might go exploring in that area later this week, wife permitting

I think I'll bring the compass. It's more reliable...north stays north, and it doesn't need batteries.
betasigscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #48
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
Quote:
Wow, you dug deep into the archives to find this thread! Its rare to see any post from W. Mich.
hmmmphfff tip of lake michigan photo tag.

still down here in niles....

just got back from gingerman on the 650r.

kurt
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #49
TheGreatKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer
hmmmphfff tip of lake michigan photo tag.

still down here in niles....

just got back from gingerman on the 650r.

kurt

Kurt, want to get together with us for riding before it gets too cold?
TheGreatKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #50
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Sorry I didn't mean to exclude you S-racer. I've noticed you've posted on here a few times. Few thousand.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #51
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
I'm in Mason but ride everywhere(Attica ,IN last wknd). I have a cottage in Lake Co. and so ADV ride in Newaygo, Lake , Wexford and Manistee Cos pretty often. Not much in Ingham co. Usually ride in Livingston, JXN, Eaton and Calhoun on the dirt roads. Bike is a DRZ400.

SeriousRacer....Too bad we missed you at Attica for the Mission Impossible Ride. It was a blast.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #52
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatKahn
Kurt, want to get together with us for riding before it gets too cold?
when where?

what you wanna ride?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #53
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr
I'm in Mason but ride everywhere(Attica ,IN last wknd). I have a cottage in Lake Co. and so ADV ride in Newaygo, Lake , Wexford and Manistee Cos pretty often. Not much in Ingham co. Usually ride in Livingston, JXN, Eaton and Calhoun on the dirt roads. Bike is a DRZ400.

SeriousRacer....Too bad we missed you at Attica for the Mission Impossible Ride. It was a blast.
Yah.. have your own business you set your own hours.. it don't work that way!! i was lied to!!!!!!

i did have someone to cover the shop but.. i decided i needed to stay ...

my bad , glad you had fun.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #54
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

well?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:25 AM   #55
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Well Great Khan....We are waiting.You started the thread back up. You have a ride in mind? I will be up in Lake Co. October 13-17th riding the DRZ on forest and co. roads. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #56
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Well Great Khan....We are waiting.You started the thread back up. You have a ride in mind? I will be up in Lake Co. October 13-17th riding the DRZ on forest and co. roads. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome.
Thanks, but I'm leaving for Texas on the thirteenth but I'll take a rain check. I see from your bio Mr. Bul that we have a few things in common. Maybe next year I can bring the DR up north and you can show me some of your favorite back roads. The weather for this next week looks good. I'm going to either take the DR or the road pig and do a overnighter somewhere north of GR in the next few days. So much time...so little money.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #57
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Quote:
i leve for the NC/TN on the on the 14th.
hurt my foot over the weekend.

thi weekend?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #58
TheGreatKahn
Adventurer

Hey Guys, sorry for the delay in Posting. I was in St. Louis, MO visiting my brother, seeing my new nephew and riding some old triumphs with my brother and even our dad this time. I am would be Up for riding this weekend if you guys want to get to together? I could ride Friday (no class) or any day this weekend. I had been thinking of hopping on the lake express and riding up the Wisconsin Coast to Sturgeon Bay where is a friend is currently living/working. But, I'm really having trouble setting up a solid route for me and the DR. Having not done a real solo ride like that yet, I would be happy to meet up with you guys just about any where and do some riding! I wish I had something in mind, but am newer to DS riding in general. So if someone throws out a suggestion I am in. In the meantime I'll continue to hover over a few maps trying to put together a route that would be worth your guy's time.

I'll be riding my 94 DR650
Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #59
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Whats a round trip cost this time of the year on the Express? I think its still pretty pricey. I wonder if the Badger out of Ludington would cost less? Manitowoc is closer to Sturgeon Bay also. I think you need tie downs for either one.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #60
TheGreatKahn
Adventurer

Quote:
Whats a round trip cost this time of the year on the Express? I think its still pretty pricey. I wonder if the Badger out of Ludington would cost less? Manitowoc is closer to Sturgeon Bay also. I think you need tie downs for either one.

I have the tie downs and got offered two one way tickets (that can be converted to a round trip) by my dad's secretary. They expire OCT 31, and she had no plan on using them. The Badger is the Same price. I would totally rather take the Badger and avoid Milwaukee.