User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
XPatriot OP
Charges have been dropped

Oddometer: 1,076
No reverse...problem?

I'll continue my annoying asking of questions...sorry.

I'm hoping to put a sidecar on my 1150GS. A pretty weighty bike, and the hack will be in the 200lb+ range.

Of those of you driving sidecar rigs w/o reverse, how much of a concern/hinderence, problem is this. I'm sure you make parking, egress decisions and try to to nose into a downward faceing parking spot etc., but does it factor into you ability to use the rig in any way?

I'm not too big into trail riding where I could really see it biting you hard, more of a street, around town, commute, road touring situation.

Thanks all!

There comes a time when the jewels cease to sparkle, the gold loses it's luster, and the throne room becomes a prison. And all that is left is a father's love for his child.
XPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
The reason for the hack is so you can carry a pusher. The other advantage is that you shouldn't have to pick the pig up as often.
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
SandHog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
My Ural has reverse of course, but I would still have a hack if it didn't. Iv'e pushed it around in the yard and it isn't that heavy for a normal guy to push out of a parking spot. Easier than my '48 Pan Dresser....

'07 Ypan патруль/Gear-up
'88 BMW R100 GS Bumble Bee
SandHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
re- what?

If you're healthy enough to throw a kitchen chair at the cat, don't worry about it.
Sometimes when I push out, I just keep it in gear and push the clutch in as I'm pushing it backwards. Good reminder to keep the airpressure up.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHog
Easier than my '48 Pan Dresser....

One time, I had to have my whole family help me get my FL shovel up into the back of an F150 when she spat out a head gasket on the Cross Bronx.

As I already told X in a PM, with an outfit it's much easier to push the thing around cuz you don't have to balance it
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
The Ragman
Uralist & Bulleteer

Oddometer: 30
About the only times I use the reverse on the rig, on tarmac, is to see the faces of all the people watching.. I regularly cannot be bothered to use the reverse, and either push/pull the rig with me standing, or use a foot to push it back when riding.

When off road, however, the reverse is very useful - I would be at a disadvantage off road, without it.
Ethel, WA
The Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
Sidecardoug
Pleasantly pleasing

Oddometer: 1,795
If you don't have reverse, you only park your rig downhill once. Then you learn.

The only time I miss having reverse is trail riding and then you just don't go down a steep hill when you can't see that there's room to turn around.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Not having a reverse is why I park my rig nose-in in my shed, while I back-in my solo. Using the slight downward slope with a cross slope (facing out) to the left, I simply backout the outfit by pulling on the luggage-rack on outfit & pilliongrab on tug till the slope takes over.

Then I back it 90 to the left where it sits sideon to the doorway. If I position it well, I don't even have to set the handbrake while I'm closing the shed door.

-- When parallel-parking in town I use the snappy steering (compared to a car) to steer it in, while its short length means another bike could just as well share the carsize marked space where its still possible to leave . . . without any backing-up!

-- Take advantage of sloping terrain where you find it when parking, and keep an eye open for vacant back-to-back spaces in parking lots so as to run forward into the other side.

Outfit heaven!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,575
A bloke I used to know in the Sydney Sidecar Owner's Club (g'day Snow, if you're still around) told a story about riding down a single width lane and encountering a car coming the other way. Bit of a Mexican standoff until he alighted from his chariot, approached the driver and asked, if, since he didn't have a reverse gear where they going to push him back up the hill?

You get to learn a bit about topography and planning. Or the stupid bastard gets to push the big bastard until you can ride away.
It's all fun (in hindsight)

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPatriot
I'll continue my annoying asking of questions...sorry.

I'm hoping to put a sidecar on my 1150GS. A pretty weighty bike, and the hack will be in the 200lb+ range.

Of those of you driving sidecar rigs w/o reverse, how much of a concern/hinderence, problem is this. I'm sure you make parking, egress decisions and try to to nose into a downward faceing parking spot etc., but does it factor into you ability to use the rig in any way?

I'm not too big into trail riding where I could really see it biting you hard, more of a street, around town, commute, road touring situation.

Thanks all!
A good friend of mine bought the Hannigan test mule 1150GS/sidecar rig for his first bike. He has not had any problems & he is not a big guy.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
XPatriot OP

Hmmm, just measured my garage and it's only 78 inches wide. I don't think I can fit the 3ft wide GS and 42 inch wide hack through it (with the space for the arms holding the rig to the bike.

I'll have to save my pennies for a Ural.

There comes a time when the jewels cease to sparkle, the gold loses it's luster, and the throne room becomes a prison. And all that is left is a father's love for his child.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,352
Keep in mind that the width of the GS includes the cylinder heads, which is not where the hack attaches.

I can measure my outfit for you. You'd be surprised the parking spaces in the city I fit into.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
XPatriot OP

That would be great, thanks.