User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
My New BMW C600

I don't have it home, it needs to be delivered. The dealer is 250 miles away. It's a silly story but, yesterday we had a family function about half way to the dealer so I just decided to drive the rest of the way and drop off the paperwork and check out the bike; and meet the dealer in person.

Hopefully, Thanksgiving weather will be nice enough for a few rides. I am a teacher and have the week off.

I'll get some more pics as I ride and update with my thoughts.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Very nice, all the best.
So I'll have to ask. Why not ride it home?

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
quasigentrified
Ape Trumpet

Oddometer: 862
looks classy! when do you take delivery?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
Very nice, all the best.
So I'll have to ask. Why not ride it home?

Be Big,
AMAC
Good question.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Delivery date TBD.

As for riding it home, a couple of reasons (though I considered it).

Mostly a safety/comfort level of my part. I don't have a lot of interstate seat time and traveling SoCal's maze of highways at 70+ mph for the first 120 miles did not really appeal to me. Even after leaving Southern Cal, it would have been a straight high speed ride for the next 120 miles home. The other thing I thought about was being a brand new bike, I was worried about droning on at high speeds for 250 miles. Plus, I'd prefer to learn the new bike on familiar roads. Like I said, I considered it, but I'm glad I didn't. I am looking forward to some distance rides though.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
Delivery date TBD.

Mostly a safety/comfort level of my part. I don't have a lot of interstate seat time and traveling SoCal's maze of highways at 70+ mph for the first 120 miles did not really appeal to me. Even after leaving Southern Cal, it would have been a straight high speed ride for the next 120 miles home. The other thing I thought about was being a brand new bike, I was worried about droning on at high speeds for 250 miles. Plus, I'd prefer to learn the new bike on familiar roads. Like I said, I considered it, but I'm glad I didn't. I am looking forward to some distance rides though.
Congratulations on the new bike! I can understand why you'd want some freeway seat time before tackling that mess around LA, or the monotonous grind north of the Grapevine.

Some clues in your post indicate you may live somewhere in the vicinity of Fresno in which case I'm a little curious as to why you didn't buy from a dealer closer to home. I know there's a BMW dealer in Fresno that just a few months ago dropped Kymco, don't know if they stock BMW scooters. I went there to check out Kymcos a year ago when they still listed themselves as a Kymco dealer on their website but I didn't get a good vibe-"no scoots in inventory but we'll order one, no we don't plan on restocking, etc.". Sure enough they quit selling Kymco a couple of months later. If I'd have bought from them I'd now have to travel 200 moles for wty service.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, Fresno. I went the BMW Fresno when I first became interested in riding. Same thing with Kymco. They had the Super 8 but I wanted the People 300. Last summer I checked out the c600 and really liked it. It sold and haven't been there since. I got a good vibe from them though.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
brian72
URBEX

Oddometer: 315
Wow. Enjoy that scooter. Very nice.
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Delivery date TBD.

Good idea. I had my new Royal Enfield delivered 120 miles to my house. They require a long and careful break in. It took me over a week to get that 120 miles on there, riding everyday. I wouldn't even take a new Japanese bike and just hop on the freeway with it, and ride a few hundred miles. Best of luck with it and enjoy it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Riding Buddy?

Thanks for the compliments.

I reconnected with a longtime friend this past summer at a funeral. We got to talking and he used to ride; Ninja 1000, sold it some time ago. He sent me a message last night saying he just picked up a 1989 Honda Pacific Coast. Hopefully our ideas of riding mesh; I usually ride alone which is fine for short trips but would like a travel partner for the long rides. But I'm also pretty mellow and don't go for speed. Hopefully I can get some seat time in this winter, and he can on his bike. Maybe this spring or summer I'll be able to take a trip somewhere out of town. Without getting to far ahead of myself, California Hwy 49 is on my list. Taking it North out of Oakhurst and just riding.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
StingerCo
Mid life crisis #2

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments.

I reconnected with a longtime friend this past summer at a funeral. We got to talking and he used to ride; Ninja 1000, sold it some time ago. He sent me a message last night saying he just picked up a 1989 Honda Pacific Coast. Hopefully our ideas of riding mesh; I usually ride alone which is fine for short trips but would like a travel partner for the long rides. But I'm also pretty mellow and don't go for speed. Hopefully I can get some seat time in this winter, and he can on his bike. Maybe this spring or summer I'll be able to take a trip somewhere out of town. Without getting to far ahead of myself, California Hwy 49 is on my list. Taking it North out of Oakhurst and just riding.
Congrats. on your beautiful bike! I totally understand your decision to have it delivered. I'm in the same boat as you.....just got back to two wheels after being away for almost 30 years. I'm here in the Bay Area of California. Not sure that I can keep up with you guys with my Helix 250 but if you are looking to travel north on Hiway 49 it would be fun to meet up with you next spring/summer and tag along!
StingerCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingerCo View Post
Congrats. on your beautiful bike! I totally understand your decision to have it delivered. I'm in the same boat as you.....just got back to two wheels after being away for almost 30 years. I'm here in the Bay Area of California. Not sure that I can keep up with you guys with my Helix 250 but if you are looking to travel north on Hiway 49 it would be fun to meet up with you next spring/summer and tag along!
Great! I'll keep you posted. Like I said, it's in the "wouldn't it be great?!" stage.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,752
Quote:
I don't have it home, it needs to be delivered. The dealer is 250 miles away. It's a silly story but, yesterday we had a family function about half way to the dealer so I just decided to drive the rest of the way and drop off the paperwork and check out the bike; and meet the dealer in person.

Hopefully, Thanksgiving weather will be nice enough for a few rides. I am a teacher and have the week off.

I'll get some more pics as I ride and update with my thoughts.
Congrats on the purchase and on being a fellow teacher.

Is that a leftover? I thought BMW wasn't bringing in the Sport version anymore.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah its a 2013 and they are not bringing it anymore; just the GT. Rumors of a 400cc scoot though.

You're a teacher too? Great! In my 16th year now.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 3,297
I didn't know that they dropped the Sport Version.