User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #136
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Very informative

This thread is very informative even if it does have a little fire in it once in a while. Bottom line is that we like T Max and it has been to long not available to us. Granted it like all things has downside as well as upside. but in my case I just see it as un upgrade on the Majesty I have here already. Less storage and slightly less MPG but not enough to make a big difference. I will do more touring on it as the handling is much better than the Majesty's (Which is rather good in itself) Anyway keep the good information coming I sure appreciate it.....
Scooterboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #137
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterboy58
Very interesting I have been doing a lot of research and the numbers I have come up with on the Tmax HP is 44 and not 38.
The new TMax has just been released in Japan and Yamaha quotes the power figures as 38hp/4.5kg-m torque. If there's a difference with the one you saw, it's probably due to the muffler being more restrictive, something easily corrected.

Specs here:
http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/mc/lineup...pec/index.html

Here's the special TMax site Yamaha Japan has, with movie, pics, differences between '07 and '08:
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #138
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
I don't want to rain on your parade, if it yanks your crank great... I'm just saying that I had Vales1's cool looking Repsol Silverwing pumping out 50hp, I wouldn't trade it for a Tmax putting out 38. I would for one with 75 though!
But how much heavier is the Silverwing or the GP800 than the T-Max?
DOUBLE-O G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #139
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
The new TMax has just been released in Japan and Yamaha quotes the power figures as 38hp/4.5kg-m torque. If there's a difference with the one you saw, it's probably due to the muffler being more restrictive, something easily corrected.

Specs here:

Here's the special TMax site Yamaha Japan has, with movie, pics, differences between '07 and '08:
I can't read Japanese I have found 43.7 HP and 44 HP listed all over the place at 38 HP it is not much better than the Majesty. And if that is the case I can't see it being worth 2k more for only 3 HP. But what do I know? now if you go the torque route it has 9 more than the Majesty and that's a big jump....
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #140
vales1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
According to the yamaha-motor website, wet weight is 489 lbs - considerably lighter than the Silverwing's wet weight of 540 lbs.

A few of the things i like with the TMax are the front / rear 15 in. tires (14 / 13 on the S'wing ) and the Front / Rear 267mm disc with a 4 piston mono-block caliper on both!

Man, i just wish one of the motor mags here review this superscoot already
vales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #141
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by vales1
According to the yamaha-motor website, wet weight is 489 lbs - considerably lighter than the Silverwing's wet weight of 540 lbs.

A few of the things i like with the TMax are the front / rear 15 in. tires (14 / 13 on the S'wing ) and the Front / Rear 267mm disc with a 4 piston mono-block caliper on both!

Man, i just wish one of the motor mags here review this superscoot already
A 51 pound difference, then you add the difference in the wheel size and probably also the diameter of the front forks and I think it becomes clear the T-Max doesn't play in the same league as the Silverwing (no offense to Silverwing owners here).
There are lots of reviews of the new T-Max online but it helps if you can read French or Italian.
Look at the frame too:

DOUBLE-O G screwed with this post 10-30-2009 at 08:53 AM
DOUBLE-O G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #142
vales1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx
A 51 pound difference, then you add the difference in the wheel size and probably also the diameter of the front forks and I think it becomes clear the T-Max doesn't play in the same league as the Silverwing (no offense to Silverwing owners here).
There are lots of reviews of the new T-Max online but it helps if you can read French or Italian.
None taken here!! As far as reviews are concerned it would help if you google "08 Tmax" you'll find plenty of glowing reviews from the UK and AU

here's one I found from Toronto http://www.wheels.ca/article/300287

vales1 screwed with this post 08-07-2008 at 02:32 PM
Old 08-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #143
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx
Look at the frame too:

With the difference in weight and tire size the T Max will ride a bit differently than the Silverwing or a Burgman. The Majesty that I have rides very well but from the Australian and English reviews that I have read there is no comparison between them and a Tmax the front forks on the T max are 43 mm up from 41 on the older model. The 08 Silverwing has a 41 mm front fork. a lot of the weight increase is in that 582 CC engine vice the 499 of the T max.....
Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #144
vales1
Adventurer

Anybody here getting their TMax soon?

Being the informed shopper that I am, (or cheapskate ) My buddy at the dealership told me that at this time, the only way I could get a TMax at 5% above dealer cost is when they have one that sits in the showroom for more than a day. Fair enough I thought, gotta let em make money first. But DANG! He showed me the waiting list of people who had put money down and there were about 20 of them That's ok though, I think the bike IS worth it, I just don't think it's worth the extra grand their paying

I hope Hayhole comes back and gives us an update, then again if I had one I wouldn't be sitting around the computer

vales1 screwed with this post 08-08-2008 at 12:14 PM
Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #145
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vales1
Anybody here getting their TMax soon?

Being the informed shopper that I am, (or cheapskate ) My buddy at the dealership told me that at this time, the only way I could get a TMax at 5% above dealer cost is when they have one that sits in the showroom for more than a day. Fair enough I thought, gotta let em make money first. But DANG! He showed me the waiting list of people who had put money down and there were about 20 of them That's ok though, I think the bike IS worth it, I just don't think it's worth the extra grand their paying

I hope Hayhole comes back and gives us an update, then again if I had one I wouldn't be sitting around the computer
I have 2 dealerships that are going to call when the Tmax gets in. In Florida in the summer the amount of riders goes down. Now if it is October or November then the rider numbers go way up and my wait increases. No wait list that they told me about here yet....
Old 08-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #146
HayHole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Update

Just fueled up for the second time and computed the mpg at 49.4. At that rate
I can get almost 200 miles per tank. I can live with that! I now have 360 miles on it and it seems to be loosening up and becoming even more smooth. I jumped on the throttle today a couple times and ran it up to 80. I was impressed with the acceleration and how stable the bike is at that speed. And with the way it handles and corners, you'd swear you're on a sport bike. My smile just keeps getting wider and wider!! I love this scoot. I'm even beginning to like the bright yellow color - it sure stands out in traffic.
HayHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #147
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyTom
Why?

It's a girls bicycle.
What are you doing in the scooter forum? Lost ?

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #148
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoto
This and the "girls bike" comment is why the internet is the lowest form of human discourse. If you walked up to someone in a bike shop and made those two comments you very likely would get the snot kicked out of you. At least I would hope.

He was being funny. Chill out.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #149
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayHole
Just fueled up for the second time and computed the mpg at 49.4. At that rate
I can get almost 200 miles per tank. I can live with that! I now have 360 miles on it and it seems to be loosening up and becoming even more smooth. I jumped on the throttle today a couple times and ran it up to 80. I was impressed with the acceleration and how stable the bike is at that speed. And with the way it handles and corners, you'd swear you're on a sport bike. My smile just keeps getting wider and wider!! I love this scoot. I'm even beginning to like the bright yellow color - it sure stands out in traffic.

Excellent news the MPG will go up a little as the engine breaks in as well. I'll bet you end up getting 200 miles to a tank. Is there a low fuel warning on the instruments? I know the Majesty flashes when the level gets low but that was on the LCD screen. The T Max has an analog gauge maybe there is an indicator light that comes on. anyway thanks for the followup....
Old 08-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #150
jmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank
He was being funny. Chill out.
He needs to work on his material. Are you his dad?
jmoto is offline   Reply With Quote