Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #1516
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero war
hello everybody,

i remember reading a post abt mufflers here and i cant remember who but one of the members mentioened that he/she just drilled holes to make it louder. im planning to get jcosta variator soon and after hearing people mention that an exhaust sytem does not do as much as the variator does, i thought that id avoid the exhaust system thoush. the only issue is i ride in manhattan and nobody hears me coming or going, especially the cabbies.... so its a little dangerous.

does anyone know how i can make my "stella" sound loud enough to be heard?

does this kill my warranty completely?

also got a letter from yamaha to extend the warranty for another 2 years for some $280 dollars? is that worth it?

thanks for the help.

The problem I have with buying extended warranties is unless you have a severe problem they are worthless . I've bought a couple of them and never used a one . If you didn't buy an extended warranty on any thing ever , and instead put that money aside IMO you would be far better off . Normally if you are going to have a problem it will happen early on during the first year . The Tmax has a pretty good record so it's probably a waste of your money . If this were a car that had a reputation for transmissions and or engines blowing up after 30 or 40K miles , I would say by all means buy the warranty .

As far as the muffler is concerned I wouldn't mess with it , instead learn to use the horn a little more . When you sell a bike you will get more for it if it's totally stock with no cosmetic damage . All the mods even if they are expensive ones don't do much of any thing for re-sale value , some times they can actually decrease the value . That's my 2 cents .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #1517
aqua1957
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
J Costa Variator

Hi guys I will be putting up my J Costa Variator and 16 gram weights that only have 3 miles on the weights up for sale next weekend. I am going back to the stock variator with the Malossi 15 gram weights. The variator has about 7000 miles on it. I went to put in the power commander this week and it overpowered the bike with the JCosta. If you are interested drop me a line.
Thanks,
Aqua
aqua1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #1518
zero war
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
loud click on the start

hey guys,

another thing i wanted to ask the fellow tmax'ers:

it has happened 3 times now. sometimes when i start the bike there is a loud and sharp click. it still started all 3 times but just got me a little worried.......

another thing that i have noticed is when im takinng turns sometimes and i lean a lot the bike seems a little unstable on the front tire..... is that normal..... should i be experiencing this kinda stuff on a bike thats 8 months old with 1500 miles on it?

Z

.....I'm not lost..... I'm just looking for the guys who drove me here!
zero war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #1519
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua1957
Hi guys I will be putting up my J Costa Variator and 16 gram weights that only have 3 miles on the weights up for sale next weekend. I am going back to the stock variator with the Malossi 15 gram weights. The variator has about 7000 miles on it. I went to put in the power commander this week and it overpowered the bike with the JCosta. If you are interested drop me a line.
Thanks,
Aqua
How much ?

TheReaper!

TheReaper! screwed with this post 05-30-2010 at 01:45 PM
Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #1520
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
hey guys,

another thing i wanted to ask the fellow tmax'ers:

it has happened 3 times now. sometimes when i start the bike there is a loud and sharp click. it still started all 3 times but just got me a little worried.......

another thing that i have noticed is when im takinng turns sometimes and i lean a lot the bike seems a little unstable on the front tire..... is that normal..... should i be experiencing this kinda stuff on a bike thats 8 months old with 1500 miles on it?

Z
I've never experienced a clicking type noise when starting my Tmax. Take it to the dealer as its still under warranty.

As for the front end being unstable, I have never experienced that. Check your tire inflation pressures to make sure that they are in spec. I've leaned my Tmax over far enough that I'm scraping the center stand on both sides of the bike and I've never experienced any instability. I've got the Bridgestone Battleax tires front and rear.

rtking screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 07:05 AM
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #1521
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Double-post by accident -deleted

rtking screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 07:01 AM
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #1522
tlgem
Turtle

Oddometer: 10
Eek

I have noticed if you touch the front brake in a turn the bike wants to over
steer. Scared me the first time it happened

tlgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #1523
GuidoF
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Top Case/Back Pack Questions

Hi All,

I've been shopping around a while for additional "truck space" for my Tmax.

I was looking at the Yamaha Top cases, and the Givi top cases. By the time you buy all the extras, it's hard for me to justify spending $700+ dollars.

Anyway .... I was also looking at JC Whitney's top cases. I can only find a smaller size, I think it was about 36L.

I was also considering this: RIGGPAKS SURVIVOR SVT-1000 JUMBO WEEKENDER BAG

Can I just buy a padded sissy bar to fit this bag onto er what?

Thanks ahead,

Dan
GuidoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #1524
neoboboo
scooter guy

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
the only issue is i ride in manhattan and nobody hears me coming or going, especially the cabbies....
Just be more careful of them cabbies. NO modifications will deter their ignorance for riders and other drivers on the road, they're more interested in catching fares than your safety.

My solution: Honk at them incessantly, give them the stare, and if need be-- flip them off.
neoboboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:42 AM   #1525
habitual lateness
let ride!!!

Oddometer: 39
I am planning on going touring on the tmax and as usual the usual tour repair kits like tyre repair kits will already be in the list, but is there any particular parts or component that tends to fail more often on the tmax that i need to bring along just in case?
any advise will be appreciated
habitual lateness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:04 AM   #1526
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitual lateness
I am planning on going touring on the tmax and as usual the usual tour repair kits like tyre repair kits will already be in the list, but is there any particular parts or component that tends to fail more often on the tmax that i need to bring along just in case?
any advise will be appreciated
That depends on where you are going and how you will be driving , I would say number one is tires . You can burn through a set of tires 2 to 3 times as fast on a trip . Hot roads with the wrong stuff in them , can chew up a set of tires so fast it will make your head spin . Hit a dusty construction area and filters can plug up pretty fast . Don't forget about yourself , you need a lot of water . You dehydrate faster than you would think on a bike trip . Do one of those searches for Yamaha dealers along your trip with phone numbers . Bring a repair manual with you , and some tools .

That's my 2 cents .

TheReaper!

P.S. remember these 3 words TIRES TIRES TIRES
Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #1527
schoals
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
my wife has a track day coming up in a month or two and she will probably be in the fast or inter group im going to ask if she can keep her tag on

Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #1528
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Repair manuel and Belt change instructions

Looking for a haynes or other repair manuel or instructions on installing a V Belt $80 labor per hour for this is just to much $$ when I think I can change it myself Thanks 17 K Miles on the original belt now too so far no problems but the change is going to happen soon
Scooterboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #1529
aqua1957
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
JCosta Variator

Just got my bike back took out the JCosta variator and put the stock variator and Malossi 16 gram weights back into bike. Ialso had the Power Commander V installed and had bike Dyno Tuned with custom maps. The bike does not have that very quick accelation like the JCosta which caused the RPM to sky rocket but over all much better mid range speed and more top end. Very much worth the $700.00 for Power Commander and Dyno Tune. Horse power increased have the maps to show it.
aqua1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #1530
schoals
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua1957
Very much worth the $700.00 for Power Commander and Dyno Tune. Horse power increased have the maps to show it.
700 bucs for a PCIII and custom mapping