Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #1921
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
Thanks Rcroller. Any idea on the time and cost for the belt?

I know, I'm being picky. There's no question the TMAX is more to my liking than a Burgman 400/650. I tended to like (and own) Euro style sportier bikes (Guzzi, BMW's) so the TMAX is definitely oriented more that way than a Burgman. But then I've also had a penchant for ultra economy Japanese bikes, like a Honda Passport. This is where the fuel mileage and maintenance/ownership cost issues arise. Basically, I'm afraid what will happen when I take a test ride on a TMAX, if I can find one.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #1922
rcroller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
The maintenance costs on a T-Max are not on the lower end...they aren't rediculous either, but this isn't like maintaining a Genuine Buddy or the like. If I recall right, the belt alone was about a buck and a quarter but that was a while ago. If you do your own labor you can save a bundle but my local Yamaha shop gets $135/hr. so not cheap if you get them to do the work. My 12,000 mile maintenance included oil, filter, gear oil, air filter, new belt, new rollers, new tires, new brake pads and ran me about $800 as I recall(did not opt to do the steering head..that was $400 alone). I know what you mean about taking that test ride...you are going to want it if you ride it...so, if you're scared say you're scared! Good luck with whatever you decide but it is an awesome bike.
2009 Yamaha T-Max, Yam Sport Shield, EU Winkers, CF Yoshi Exhaust, Tail Tidy, Hugger, Dr Pulleys, CF Mirrors, CF Boomerangs, CF Tranny Covers, CF Bar Ends, Yam Decals, Braided Brake Lines, 300mm Wave Discs, Axel Cover, Footpegs, Fork Sliders
rcroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #1923
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

OK. At first I completely blanched at the $800 service cost. That is worse than my '01 F650GS, and basically the reason I sold it. But, if it includes tires and brakes, belts, and what-not, so although its "bad" maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. Sorry to bother with these questions but you've opened up about it so far so why not go whole hog. Such as: how much are tires and how long do they last? - but wait you admit having a floppy throttle hand and a vice grip on the brake levers - but, you know, a general idea I doubt you/anyone can go more than 9000mi on a rear tire. I gather I'll really need to research the costs of this thing before I commit, I don't want to be in the position like I was with the F650 when I thought "its a single" how complex/expensive can it be"?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 AM   #1924
rcroller
Gnarly Adventurer

Tire life largely depends upon what you run, how you ride, and what your priorities are. The stock Dunlops are known to go 12,000 miles but don't offer the adhesion aggressive riders want. I run Pirelli Diablos, probably the softest compound out there, and I get about 5000 out of a set. I want sticky over longevity but as I said, it depends on your priorities. The stock Dunlops have served touring T-Maxers well. I am having a new set put on this Saturday. They will run me $229 plus tax installed. I don't wear them even close to bear...I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and be safe than push the life of the tires and risk my a$$. By all means, do your research and be comfortable with your decision. There was one T-Max owner, an older gentleman who sqeaked when he walked, who sold his T-Max becasue he was unhappy with the maintenance costs. That is one out of many over the past three years I've been involved in various T-Max forums. Best of luck to you and I'm happy to answer anymore questions you may have.
2009 Yamaha T-Max, Yam Sport Shield, EU Winkers, CF Yoshi Exhaust, Tail Tidy, Hugger, Dr Pulleys, CF Mirrors, CF Boomerangs, CF Tranny Covers, CF Bar Ends, Yam Decals, Braided Brake Lines, 300mm Wave Discs, Axel Cover, Footpegs, Fork Sliders
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #1925
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Man, $800 for a basic service?

I wouldn't put up with that, nor could I possibly afford it.

Have you considered doing it yourself? For example, a tire change is actually quite easy. Sure theres a few things to know, but you can learn. You can even get help here on ADV rider, or any support sites.

Even if you don't have much of a garage or tools, you can do it. You don't have to change the actual tire yourself if you don't have a compressor, just take it off the bike and have a tire shop do it. Bring them the old tire on the rim and new tire and most will do it as cheap as $5. Most will even balance it for you for a little extra.

Oil changes are easy. You can learn to do it yourself if its possible for you. I'd recommend it. I hate seeing shops charging people $500 for a simple carb rebuild and oil change. Or $200 to take the tire off and put it back on.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #1926
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

I could see doing a oil change and fluid changes myself, and I frequently do so on my "motorcycle". My problem is that I don't have a garage. If I had a place with a garage that place would would cost more, and in some cases paying more for a garage in order to do my maintenance - the deeper stuff, I am not sure if I could do all of it anyway - I often times come out ahead by having a bike serviced at a shop instead of paying $70-$200 a month for a garage.

I do have a certain TMAX lust, I just have to be able to work out the costs. Working that out is a real extension when my current bike is a Honda Passport C70. In California I pay more for registration than I do for gas for that bike.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #1927
Gman951
n00b

Oddometer: 9
My 2009 Cadmium Yellow Tmax

How's it going brother Tmax'ers?
Here's a pic of my Tmax.
Got a question. Is anybody out there runing a K&N air filter on their Tmax? I now it doesn't had much power, but it should or I hope it allows the engine to run as smooth as it can, so if your using one on your Tmax I would appreciate your opinion about it.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #1928
rcroller
Gnarly Adventurer

I usually do my own oil changes, just had the dealer do that one since they were already doing all the other stuff. Tire installation is free with the purchase of tires and the dealer price isn't much different than the on-line price without the hassle of ordering, shipping, etc. The internals of variator are better left to the experts in my world. I do have a garage and basic tools including a service manual but not the know how to be comfortable changing belts, etc. Brakes are another area I'd rather leave to the pros...I don't mind paying when necessary but will do the simple stuff myself.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #1929
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
I could see doing a oil change and fluid changes myself, and I frequently do so on my "motorcycle". My problem is that I don't have a garage. If I had a place with a garage that place would would cost more, and in some cases paying more for a garage in order to do my maintenance - the deeper stuff, I am not sure if I could do all of it anyway - I often times come out ahead by having a bike serviced at a shop instead of paying $70-$200 a month for a garage.

I do have a certain TMAX lust, I just have to be able to work out the costs. Working that out is a real extension when my current bike is a Honda Passport C70. In California I pay more for registration than I do for gas for that bike.

I understand. You don't have access to any garage? Any friends with a garage they'd let you work in?

But you are right I suppose it would cost more to have a garage than the maintenance costs.

rcroller yea you shouldn't really do anything much out of your comfort range. But you'd be surprised just how easy most of this stuff is. I rebuild bikes on the side for money, and let me tell you their pretty much all the same. There are some differences, but they all work in the same basic way. Especially Japanese bikes, they make most everything pretty easy, and they all have similar designs. About 2 years ago, I had pretty little skills and tools. But I got tires of paying for maintenance and thought it'd be cool to learn. So I started wrenching on my own bikes.

At first I didn't know much of what I was doing. But I followed the Service Manuals and got better. Now after rebuilding my Scooter, a few bikes and doing all my own maintenance I actually enjoy it. I have a pretty well equipped garage with all the necessary tools, and do all my own work and my friend's bikes work. I also rebuild and sell old Japanese bikes on the side for fun and money. Brakes are actually real easy, about a 15 minute or less job. There are some pointers you really need to know, but once you know that its real straight forward. Belts, those are real easy.

I mean if you want to learn its a good thing to know, but if you really don't feel comfortable then sure let people who do do it.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #1930
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
Just got back from a 2,000 mile trip on the TMax. It did well as a tourer. I would normally have taken my BMW on this trip, however the battery was toasted on it. I ran 80 mph on the interstates for hours on end with no issues. Very stable and comfortable. Not a bad "Plan B".
Attached Images

beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #1931
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
curious

How many of you folks came from or also ride sport or dual?
I'm quite intrigued by the tmax having had a speed triple, sv650, countless dirtbikes and the current XR650L.
going to look at one soon.
how do they compare acceleration wise to other machines? do they really handle as good as i've heard?
thanks

Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #1932
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssregal39 View Post
How many of you folks came from or also ride sport or dual?
I'm quite intrigued by the tmax having had a speed triple, sv650, countless dirtbikes and the current XR650L.
going to look at one soon.
how do they compare acceleration wise to other machines? do they really handle as good as i've heard?
The acceleration is not something you'll buy this thing for.. it's around 9
seconds from 0 to 60mph, but it will probably outhandle the SV650, and
the brakes are superior too.

Too bad this thing costs that much here.
MotorcycleUSA just did a comparo with it, the xciting 500 and some other
scoots, and the Tmax won hands down.. but the price difference in USA is
only $2000 between them!

The XC500 is around $9k here, and the Tmax is DOUBLE that.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #1933
rcroller
Gnarly Adventurer

You can add a J Costa Race Variator (or the like) and get that acceleration down to about 6 seconds from 0-60 but as Cortez said you won't buy this for its' acceleration. Handling is another thing and yes, you heard right...it will out perform many other "real" bikes in the twisties. I ride with a friend who has a Suzuki B-King...it's a Busa motor on a naked bike frame. He blows me away in the straights but the twisties is another thing altogether. There are still some '09 T-Maxes out there at dealerships that haven't sold and folks are getting some great deals these days just to get rid of them. It's a great time to shop and buy if you want one.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #1934
aqua1957
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
My TMax with all the Extras

Here is a recent picture of my bike
Attached Images

aqua1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #1935
rcroller
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's the most current one I have...it doesn't show the new footpegs or tires I had installed this morning, but other than that...