Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #196
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 350
Jmskazoo-

Thanks for the excellent review.

Especially for me as I’m currently contemplating between a Silverwing and TMax as a commuter (AND we use the same Swiss Back Pack!!!).

My only concern with the Tmax is the seat height. My in-seam is 29”, while I’m comfortable with 30”-31” in seat-height (being on sport bikes since I was 19), life would be easier with something lower….and this is the whole reason why I’m considering a scooter over a real motorcycle.

My question is: how much “meat” (cushion thickness) is there on the seat itself?
Probably one of the 1st mods I would do is shave the seat a little. I was just wondering how much meat there is to play with. I can deal with a harder seat to trade off for a lower seat height.

And a little tid-bit for everyone (I’m sure everyone already knows this):

Yamaha has been making the Tmax since ’01 or so and the euro’s and asian’s have been putting out performance and cosmetic upgrades for awhile now. If money is not an object, do your homework and figure out what best upgrades are and import them yourself…. And for the rest of us mortals, wait for the 1st wave of stuff to come through and see what settles. Like anything else, there is a lot of crap and a few good. And from what I understand, the good ones are pretty damn good….stuff from ECU programming (i.e. power commanders) to variator’s and performance exhausts.
They actually race these things over there (why? Because they can I guess?) so there are some good stuff to be had. I would just be patient, so some research, sort through the junk and get the good stuff.
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #197
vales1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I would really refrain from modifying the seat because this would simply compromise riding comfort .. which is pretty much counter intuitive to why we ride scooters in the first place. I have a short inseam as well and if I wanted my foot flat then all I have to do is just tilt the scoot a bit. ... well you know better being on sportsbikes. In my opinion, I won't be spending that much time stuck at stop lights or behind traffic anyway so a little bit of tip toeing isn't really an issue to me.

You'll definitely appreciate that extra cushion on long rides

vales1 screwed with this post 08-19-2008 at 12:03 PM
vales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #198
budk
OleScoot

Oddometer: 101
Seat Height

Nuckaman

My inseam is 31" I can just flat foot both feet at a stop. I contemplated taking out some padding...but, there is only about an inch or so available..
The problem is the side fairings, kind of like riding a fat horse! I have adjusted with no problem.. Might be good if you to sit on one first... !

Of course once you are underway you will forget that little bother!!

BudK
budk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #199
JT Lake
The Mongooses

Oddometer: 367
Anyone have a top speed on it yet??

LOVE the yellow but i'm afraid the T won't be much if any better than my Burg400 not to mention almost twice as expensive.

And your mpg will increase once the motors get broken in. Anyone seen 60 mpg yet?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #200
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Sorry JT, this trounces any 400, you should take a ride on a tmax before ya make these statements!
Dezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #201
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Hurricane update, and scoot update

Hey Scooterboy58, just wondering how the Hurricane is effecting you havent heard anythng out of you for a few days. Keep us informed.

ON another note, I was expecting to get my TMAX somewhere between Aug 1 and Aug 15 according to my dealer. I stopped in on Friday 8-15 to get an update and nothing, he said they had no way to track it we would just have to wait.......

At that point I was beginning to question the fact that I was even going to get one???? So I called Yamaha customer service on 8-19 just to see what they could do for me.

I talked to a very nice lady that said she would do some research and get back with me. Within 15 minutes she called me back and verified I had one on order, and I would be contacted on when it would be here.

2 hours later my dealer called me, he said my TMAX will be delivered to them on 8-21 and I could pick it up in 8-22.

I guess we will just see if it really happens on 8-22????????

It is just amazing 1 phone call to Yamaha and my dealer can actually find out when it will be here. They have not been very helpful at all since I put my deposit down, I guess the best price does not always get you the best customer service.

I will keep you updated if I get my long awaited TMAX on 8-22????????
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #202
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel mark
Hey Scooterboy58, just wondering how the Hurricane is effecting you havent heard anythng out of you for a few days. Keep us informed.

ON another note, I was expecting to get my TMAX somewhere between Aug 1 and Aug 15 according to my dealer. I stopped in on Friday 8-15 to get an update and nothing, he said they had no way to track it we would just have to wait.......

At that point I was beginning to question the fact that I was even going to get one???? So I called Yamaha customer service on 8-19 just to see what they could do for me.

I talked to a very nice lady that said she would do some research and get back with me. Within 15 minutes she called me back and verified I had one on order, and I would be contacted on when it would be here.

2 hours later my dealer called me, he said my TMAX will be delivered to them on 8-21 and I could pick it up in 8-22.

I guess we will just see if it really happens on 8-22????????

It is just amazing 1 phone call to Yamaha and my dealer can actually find out when it will be here. They have not been very helpful at all since I put my deposit down, I guess the best price does not always get you the best customer service.

I will keep you updated if I get my long awaited TMAX on 8-22????????

We ended up getting almost 10 inches of rain from Fay. No word on my scooter yet but I suspect that the storm changed the delivery times a little here in Florida. Still cloudy here but the rain and most of the wind has ended sincer Fay has moved north and east of us. Poor Cape Canaveral, it is close to them now....... Yamaha was very good on the phone it is amazing what can happen just by making a phone call...
Scooterboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #203
budk
OleScoot

Oddometer: 101
MPG update

Took on fuel today when gauge hit 1/4 mark.. speedo showed 154.8, held 2.648 for 58.4 mpg...Starting to loosen up! Have 512 total miles now. In for 600 Oil/filter change/insp Friday Morn..

Someone asked about my avg speeds ..around 45 average I believe. I stayed mostly between 4-5000 .
Also about speed at 5000.. As you know, CVT are hard to pin down on speed/rpm but it seems that 5000 is generally 65mph.. 4500 seems to hold 60mph nicely.. 70, 75 comes before 6000!

Glad Fay no worse.. You FL guys hang in..Pays to ring Yamaha's Customer service bell now and then..

BudK
budk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #204
HayHole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
First Oil Change

Pulled into the garage at noon today and the odometer read 599 so I thought I would change the oil. I purchased the oil and filter last week and tried to buy the wrench that would fit this particular filter. Parts guy said forget it, that the wrench for this filter is too tight and difficult to get off the filter once installed. Well, I used my channel lock and totally destroyed the old filter by the time I got it off the engine. The factory sure as hell didn't use a torque wrench for installation so I just hand tightened it and no leaks. The manual says 3.07 quarts, but three put it past the top of the sight glass. Filled it again with fuel this morning when I had exactly 150 miles and it took exactly 3 gallons.
HayHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #205
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayHole
Pulled into the garage at noon today and the odometer read 599 so I thought I would change the oil. I purchased the oil and filter last week and tried to buy the wrench that would fit this particular filter. Parts guy said forget it, that the wrench for this filter is too tight and difficult to get off the filter once installed. Well, I used my channel lock and totally destroyed the old filter by the time I got it off the engine. The factory sure as hell didn't use a torque wrench for installation so I just hand tightened it and no leaks. The manual says 3.07 quarts, but three put it past the top of the sight glass. Filled it again with fuel this morning when I had exactly 150 miles and it took exactly 3 gallons.
Nice work. I got a call today a T max (Blue) is on the showroom in Lake Placid, That is not my normal dealer but I called Sky Power and they are checking on the ones they ordered. If Sky does not call with one in stock I am going to go look at GHC's Blue Tmax on saturday. if sky calles with Blue or Yellow I am going to Sky Same distance at 25 miles either way but I have been working with sky so they will probably get my business again...
Scooterboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #206
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally made it!!!!!

I was suppose to get it on Friday 8-22, well I called my dealer today to see if they had VIN#s so I could get in insured. Well it was there already, I asked if it was possible to get it today????? He told me to come in around 3pm, well I showed up and it was still in the crate. To make a long story short, I helped assemble it(will go into that more later). Left the dealer around 5pm for the pleasant ride home. No dissapointments at all, very smooth compared to my 06 Majesty, and I love the clutching compared to my 06 Burgman. No severe engine braking, no release when you come to a stop just smooth. Engine is very quiet and smooth, exhuast is pretty quiet also. Rode 55 miles tonight between coming home from the dealer and taking the wife for a ride to show it off, my wife very rarely rides with me, she likes it!!

Suspension is awesome, I just sold a 2008 vstrom 650 and I think this takes the bumps much smoother and solid. Even with my wife on back, not much change in ride.

I will go into more detail tommorow, I have some family time to do. Joel.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #207
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Congratulations dude, Ya gonna love it, just wait till the engines run in and you will see its capabilities that i been bleeting on about to anyone that will listen!
Dezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #208
JT Lake
The Mongooses

anyone know top speed yet?

i'm really really digging the yellow.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #209
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Wrong machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Lake
anyone know top speed yet?

i'm really really digging the yellow.
If you are looking for top end speed I think you are looking in the wrong forum. Most people looking at the TMAX like scooters and love the looks of this thing, they are not buying it for speed.

Plus the fact most are barely a month old and we would like to break them in somewhat before finding out.

I am sure it will do 100mph maybe a little more??? But then again how many times do most people that ride scooters/motorcycles go over 80mph?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #210
JT Lake
The Mongooses

YAWN..........

Anyone else?