Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #2116
lostinkorea
n00b

Oddometer: 2
A tmax lost in korea

Hey Guys,

Been reading this forum for a while now. I just wanted to throw my 2009 TMAX here. Jspec.

Thanks,

Brandon

lostinkorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #2117
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Hi TMAX guys, a old fart here - 80. Right now I ride a R1200GS, last year I rode +/- 30K miles, longest trip Maryland/Utah round trip. It's getting time to go lighter-simpler. Old dogs don't lift a leg very well, so a step-through may be nice. I may have a chance to get a '09 Tmax with 20K miles from a known careful owner. The Tmax would replace the GS as my only bike.
Opinions please: How will it hold up doing 20K+ a year for a few years, getting to over 100K miles before I'm done. Long trip reliability and maintenance need?
Reliability/problems: I've read a lot here and in MajestyUSA, the only thing I've found is Tmax fever fuel pumps. Anything else?
Yamaha dealers when traveling: I know there is one in every village, but I'm afraid many have never seen a Tmax, much less have any parts for it. Opinions?
Opinions on doing a 3 week/8K mile cross-country trip? Any tires I can TRUST to hold up for 8K?
Thank you for your objective opinions.
Paul
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #2118
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
As much as I love the Tmax, I'd probably look more at SW600 and Burger 650 for touring.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #2119
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
As much as I love the Tmax, I'd probably look more at SW600 and Burger 650 for touring.
I think that I agree with this. You will be more comfortable and have more storage space.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #2120
aqua1957
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
V Belt

Hi guys hit that 12,500 mile mark and the VBelt light is flashing. I am going to order the parts on line which is much cheaper then going to my local Yamaha dealer. Can anyone please tell me which parts I need to replace besides the Belt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
aqua1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #2121
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua1957 View Post
Hi guys hit that 12,500 mile mark and the VBelt light is flashing. I am going to order the parts on line which is much cheaper then going to my local Yamaha dealer. Can anyone please tell me which parts I need to replace besides the Belt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Probably the roller weights, but I wouldn't buy anything but original belt and weights, but do a research on Dr Pulley sliders.

I just put them in my scoot and can't believe manufacturers still aren't
using them as OEM part.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #2122
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I think that I agree with this. You will be more comfortable and have more storage space.
Thanks for pointing me toward the Burgman, but my questions are specifically about the Tmax. Why: Opportunity of getting one with known history and good price - I work (yes - still) at a BMW/Yamaha (and HD/Ducati) dealer and owning a in-house brand is good - by all reports and tests the Tmax is the best handling most motorcycle like among the maxi-scooters. Riding comfort I'll decide at the first test ride. Storage capacity I can manage. I would love to travel with only a toothbrush and a credit card. So I would really like to hear about Tmax long distance capability, any maintenance needs on a loooong trip, any known "will stop you" problems, possible life past 100K miles. Thanks up front.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #2123
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Just buy it, you won't be sorry, and you should know a lot more about that
bike considering your job then most people here. If it had 10hp more, it would
be a perfect bike.

But in all honesty, it's like a VFR800 or a ST4 or a Futura in the bike world,
and you're more likely to like a ST1300 / FJR1300 / Connie 14 etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #2124
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Paul, I think you would be most happy with the Tmax. It feels more like a motorcycle than any scooter I have ever tried. I have often thought about trading in my bikes for a step through design. Though I have no experience with the bike, I would definitely buy one if I could find a good deal. Buy it and tell us how it works as a tourer.
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #2125
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Paul, I have a Tmax and I have been riding motorcycles since 1972. I am very happy with my Tmax, which I bought after a bad back injury and a recurring hand injury forced me to sell my motorcycles. The Tmax feels very sporty, it is a lot of fun in the twisties - it handles as a good sporting motorcycle should, it is comfortable and well made. I am averaging 56 mpg which is pretty good. If I were going to tour, however, my first choice would be a Burgman 650, which I have also ridden. The Burgman feels larger and more appliance-like, but still fun to ride. The Burgman is a bit quicker but the Tmax handles better. The Burgman has more mass, more displacement, better wind protection and more under seat storage. All good features for touring. Obviously, one can tour on a Tmax (and I may just do that with mine). Known Tmax issues - mirror outer stalks crack (and Yamaha replaces under warranty) and fuel pump hiccups (ditto).
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #2126
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
The used value of the Tmax just went up, now my 09 Tmax is worth more than what I paid for it, I got it new in 2010 for a discount cause it was a new last years model. Yamaha isnt offering the 2012 Tmax so everybody is looking for the used ones. I have my 09 Tmax for sale with 3500 miles with Givi windscreen and rear rack and topcase for $7000 and the best offer i recieved so far was $5800. I explained to the people interested in it that I love my Tmax sooo much it would take that money for me to part with it. I don't know if I will get that much for it, but i don't care if do sell it or not, just taking a wait and see. Told them they could wait next year for the 2013 Tmax for $9000 or they can spend $10,000 for the Suzuki Burgman or Honda Silver Wing!
also,,, I have learned from bad experiences in the past not to brag about my Tmax, I really don't care what anybody else says or thinks about it becaue they were never on one, all I care about is me and the Tmax I own pleases me very, very, very much. So if you think you are a hotshot and impress all your friends cause you blew a Tmax off the road with your crotch rocket I don't care! I kind of think you're just a loser cause you race against a scooter in the first place! The Tmax wasn't designed to be a race bike.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #2127
piedevant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Prices of Tmax530 + new BMWs + riding them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The used value of the Tmax just went up, now my 09 Tmax is worth more than what I paid for it, I got it new in 2010 for a discount cause it was a new last years model. Yamaha isnt offering the 2012 Tmax so everybody is looking for the used ones. I have my 09 Tmax for sale with 3500 miles with Givi windscreen and rear rack and topcase for $7000 and the best offer i recieved so far was $5800. I explained to the people interested in it that I love my Tmax sooo much it would take that money for me to part with it. I don't know if I will get that much for it, but i don't care if do sell it or not, just taking a wait and see. Told them they could wait next year for the 2013 Tmax for $9000 or they can spend $10,000 for the Suzuki Burgman or Honda Silver Wing!
A few points Tacoma, and everyone else.
1/ If you love your Tmax so much, why are you offering to sell it at all, at any price?
2/ Those $ prices you quote for the new machines are way too low, if the European prices are anything to go by.
The new Mk4 Tmax 530 costs the equivalent of $13,000+ in Europe. (10,300 without ABS, 10,800 with ABS)
3/ The new BMW maxis are even more expensive More like $15,000 and up for the High Line versions, but all have ABS as standard.
4/ I have now ridden all 3 machines: Tmax 530, BMW C600Sport + BMW C650GT.
5/ My 14 page write-up of the 530 Tmax can be read for free here: www.theridersdigest.co.uk PDF page 27
6/ Pictures of both BMWs here: http://bikeweb.com/image/tid/130
PNB in London, UK
piedevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #2128
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedevant View Post
A few points Tacoma, and everyone else.
1/ If you love your Tmax so much, why are you offering to sell it at all, at any price?
2/ Those $ prices you quote for the new machines are way too low, if the European prices are anything to go by.
The new Mk4 Tmax 530 costs the equivalent of $13,000+ in Europe. (10,300 without ABS, 10,800 with ABS)
3/ The new BMW maxis are even more expensive More like $15,000 and up for the High Line versions, but all have ABS as standard.
4/ I have now ridden all 3 machines: Tmax 530, BMW C600Sport + BMW C650GT.
5/ My 14 page write-up of the 530 Tmax can be read for free here: www.theridersdigest.co.uk PDF page 27
6/ Pictures of both BMWs here: http://bikeweb.com/image/tid/130
PNB in London, UK
Piedevant, since you have ridden the TMAX 530 and both of the BMW's, which would you prefer and why?
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #2129
piedevant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardguy View Post
Piedevant, since you have ridden the TMAX 530 and both of the BMW's, which would you prefer and why?
I would like to ride them all together, along with the Burgman 650 and the new Aprilia RSV 850, but right now,
what I would like, I think, is a BMW 650GT, with the underseat space of the Burgman, the looks of the BMW C600Sport, the weight of the 530 Tmax and the power of the Aprilia 850.
I don't think it's much to ask, given the power and weight of sports bikes like the R1 and S1000RR!
PNB
piedevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #2130
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedevant View Post
I would like to ride them all together, along with the Burgman 650 and the new Aprilia RSV 850, but right now,
what I would like, I think, is a BMW 650GT, with the underseat space of the Burgman, the looks of the BMW C600Sport, the weight of the 530 Tmax and the power of the Aprilia 850.
I don't think it's much to ask, given the power and weight of sports bikes like the R1 and S1000RR!
PNB
Sounds like a perfect frankenstein scooter, Piedevant. But if you had to choose between the TMAX 530 and the two BMW's, which one is the most fun to ride?
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote