Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #2131
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardguy
Sounds like a perfect frankenstein scooter, Piedevant. But if you had to choose between the TMAX 530 and the two BMW's, which one is the most fun to ride?
In Germany, BMW have priced the C600 Sport at $1,100 (+ sales taxes) more than the F800GS. Bearing in mind the massive differences in market pricing across the globe, the question will be whether the BMW is worth the extra over the T-Max in the individual customers eyes.
Since many dealers in the USA seem to be giving away T-Max's the answer might well be in the negative in this market. The price of the BMW will probably cause a lot of flack over on US forums and I do not think dealers will give them away. The reason for this is that dealers will not be forced to take the scooter if they do not want it, so there should be very little surplus stock.

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #2132
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedevant View Post
A few points Tacoma, and everyone else.
1/ If you love your Tmax so much, why are you offering to sell it at all, at any price?
2/ Those $ prices you quote for the new machines are way too low, if the European prices are anything to go by.
The new Mk4 Tmax 530 costs the equivalent of $13,000+ in Europe. (10,300 without ABS, 10,800 with ABS)
3/ The new BMW maxis are even more expensive More like $15,000 and up for the High Line versions, but all have ABS as standard.
4/ I have now ridden all 3 machines: Tmax 530, BMW C600Sport + BMW C650GT.
5/ My 14 page write-up of the 530 Tmax can be read for free here: www.theridersdigest.co.uk PDF page 27
6/ Pictures of both BMWs here: http://bikeweb.com/image/tid/130
PNB in London, UK
#1 cause I plan on trading it in on the new 2013 Tmax 530 and the dealer won't give me that much money on a trade in
#2 I am guessing at U.S. prices
#3 BMW is a copy of the Tmax, plus no BMW dealers in my area, and I like all Japanese vehicles
#4 why pay twice as much for a BMW when a Tmax will perform the same?
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #2133
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

I bought the Tmax because I couldn't get the Suzuki 650 Burgman cause the dealers made it tooo tough to buy it wanting $600 over MSRP and I got the Tmax for half the price, but i didn't know at the time the Tmax had better handling than the Burgman, not as fast, but better acceleration, not as much storage space, but I installed a 50 L topcase that can haul the big stuff.
I paid $5000 less and I can exceed any speed limit on any steep mountain road and I can pass up any crotch rocket on any tight hairpin curve, the handling will amaze you, blow my doors in on the staight-a-way, but I will catch you as you slow down for that tight curve
Old 03-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #2134
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't mean to be insulting to other scooter owners of this forum, if you think I am I'm sorry and I never meant it that way. Its just everybody around me here think I am an outcast just because I ride a scooter, ever go to a motorcycle shop and everybody there points and laughs at you when you pull up on a scooter? Its tough! I just thought that others have shared the same experiences that I have, and it would make me feel better knowing I am not the only one with those problems out there
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #2135
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
In Germany, BMW have priced the C600 Sport at $1,100 (+ sales taxes) more than the F800GS. Bearing in mind the massive differences in market pricing across the globe, the question will be whether the BMW is worth the extra over the T-Max in the individual customers eyes.
John
A lot of Tmax owners locally ride the Tmax because it's the most expensive
scooter on the market (again, here - the Burgman 650 is an oddball for our
roads anyways).

Half of them will switch to the BMW only if it's more expensive then the Tmax.
They won't care about the differences.

You'll see a bunch of people here riding 3-4 months in a year, going to the
coffee shop and running errands on their tmaxes, never going out of town,
doing 1000 miles/year.

It's like an expensive watch, or a hat.
Too bad, since it's a great scoot too.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #2136
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedevant View Post
5/ My 14 page write-up of the 530 Tmax can be read for free here: www.theridersdigest.co.uk PDF page 27
6/ Pictures of both BMWs here: http://bikeweb.com/image/tid/130
PNB in London, UK
Thanks for that!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #2137
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I don't mean to be insulting to other scooter owners of this forum, if you think I am I'm sorry and I never meant it that way. Its just everybody around me here think I am an outcast just because I ride a scooter, ever go to a motorcycle shop and everybody there points and laughs at you when you pull up on a scooter? Its tough! I just thought that others have shared the same experiences that I have, and it would make me feel better knowing I am not the only one with those problems out there
Tacoma, you really need to chill a bit. Nobody will treat you like one of the gang if you beat your chest and tell everybody else that you have the best scooter - that you are going to catch them and beat them round the corners. You need to be part of the gang. If you happen to have the best scooter ever made, then that needs to be your secret.
And never, ever forget that it is not what you ride, but the way that you ride it that really matters. Only on the track is it about being fast - on the highway it is about being safe and smooth, especially in the corners. Maybe take an MSF course and learn to ride safer and smoother that your buddies.

Keep the rubber side down and please, please enjoy your riding! and don't worry about what everyone else thinks.

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #2138
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

I get pissed off when anybody cuts down and makes fun of the Tmax and they never been on one!
and why is it the local crotch rockets always want to race me and pass me up? what did they prove? they are faster than a 500cc scooter? wow you must be someone special that your crotch rocket blew a scooter off the road, your friends must be really impressed! A blind man can see you can't ride that crotch rocket, you're afraid of it, the way I see your brake lights on the whole way around a curve, the way you try to ride a wheelie, you can't ride!
I used to own crotch rockets and I was an expert at riding one!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #2139
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
From reading all your posts, sounds like you need a hug. Those crotch rockets guys were probably trying to catch you to give you some hugs instead of blowing past you. You should just enjoy the scenery cause life is too short.
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #2140
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

I run my Tmax on cross the state long distance trips 130 miles each way, with an aftermarket windscreen it makes the trip almost boring, I have a cup holder where I can drink a hot cup of coffee while riding, very comfortable, no need to stop and rest, plus with the storage space i can haul back what I went there for.
I like to keep the Tmax as the best kept secret out there, the secret of the Tmax is the larger diameter tires and the low center of gravity that every other scooter maker is going to copy, it already has the Yamaha R6 front suspension and brakes.
I admit I stumbled into buying the Tmax without knowing how great it was compaired to the other super scooters and its going to be tough for me wanting to spend $12K+ on the new BMW not knowing if its better than the current Tmax i own now.
I am sure others have made the mistake of buying a new motorcycle later finding out the last motorcycle they owned was better.
Believe me! its very strange for me to hold on to any motorcycle for more than 2 years, in the past I have always bought new bikes almost every year in that never ending search to find the right bike for me, so far I have found it, my Tmax,,, to me, there's nothing out there yet thats any better.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #2141
Twisted Martini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Huzzah! Couldn't agree more.
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #2142
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
how much would you guys guess to be a fair purchase price on a leftover '11 model? This wasn't my first choice but after I sat on it I really liked it.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #2143
Twisted Martini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Seeing as how there are quite a few dealers not discounting leftover 2009s, i would think pretty close to list.
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #2144
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Brand new one in Idaho for 5K , it's been listed twice with no bids .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110848055760
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #2145
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

just got my May 2012 issue of Motorcyclist Magazine, page 86 review and road test of the 2012 Tmax 530.

some general comments on the test: The new engine is improved acceleration between 25 and 60 mph. Indeed the bike accelerates briskly, which proved useful for nipping ahead of the traffic. 90 mph appears quickly on the dash surprising quickly although the Tmax is much happier cruising at 70.
We pointed our sleds up some canyon roads, where the Tmax's twist and go grunt, massive brakes and respectable handling proved that this maxi-scooter is indeed worthy of the adjective "sporty" Our pace was quick rather than fast, but the Tmax handled the curves effortlessly and with unfaltering steadiness.

What they didn't like: the mirrors are too small, the digital display on the dash is too small, and the rear suspension too stiff.

But to judge the Tmax on its specifications sheet and price alone would be a mistake. You have to ride it-and preferably on a twisty road where the latest version of the original sporty super-scooter can deliver riding enjoyment that most big scooters can't approach.