User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #2161
The_Ghost
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Idaho T-Max

Hey everyone, just finished reading all these pages and thought I'd say hello.

I bought the T-Max that was on EBay. It was at a local dealer. Zero miles, 12 month warranty, $5461 out the door with tax and license fees. It's a great machine, I just hope to not get T-Max fever. At least I know the fix now anyway.

I'm not new to riding and I've had the following rides in the past:
Suzuki LS650 (Savage)
Ninja 250
Vespa 250GTS
Vespa P200E

I ride smaller bikes for the fun factor and because I'm a smaller guy (155lbs though I'm 5'11"). I like being nimble in traffic and none of my rides has had me want much more power. Used to regularly ride with a group of Harley riders as the lead, which is pretty funny on the Vespa!
I think I'll stick with cosmetic/functional upgrades and ignore performance for now. Might look into a Corbin seat in the future as I had one on the Vespa GTS, but thats likely the most expensive mod I'd plan to do.
The_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #2162
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post

I bought the T-Max that was on EBay. It was at a local dealer. Zero miles, 12 month warranty, $5461 out the door with tax and license fees. It's a great machine, I just hope to not get T-Max fever. At least I know the fix now anyway.

Suzuki LS650 (Savage)
Ninja 250
Vespa 250GTS
Vespa P200E

I ride smaller bikes for the fun factor and because I'm a smaller guy (155lbs though I'm 5'11"). I like being nimble in traffic and none of my rides has had me want much more power. Used to regularly ride with a group of Harley riders as the lead, which is pretty funny on the Vespa!
I think I'll stick with cosmetic/functional upgrades and ignore performance for now. Might look into a Corbin seat in the future as I had one on the Vespa GTS, but thats likely the most expensive mod I'd plan to do.
Congrats, I was sure that was a bogus sale. Good luck and enjoy.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #2163
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:

Suzuki LS650 (Savage)
Ninja 250
Vespa 250GTS
Vespa P200E

I did the same last May. $5400 sales tax and paperwork included. Had to travel three hours West Central PA to pick it up. The only issue was that for some reason the dealer had registered it with Yamaha in December 2010, so when I went to my local guy to take care of mirrors and fuel pump about a month ago, I was told the warranty had expired. A phone call to Yamaha customer service took care of it. They did the right thing. I now have warranty until May of this year. Kindda wonder whether I should get Y.E.S. or not..... I just got a phone call from my local dealer a few minutes ago. Pump and mirrors are in. I'll drop it off next week whenever we get a rainy day in the forecast. It'll take a day. It hasn't got fever yet, and didn't want to do it during riding season, so it worked out.

Beautiful !!

My suggestiopn to you is to wait a couple of months, put a few miles, and about a month before it gets hot, go to your dealer, tell them it stalled on you and to order a pump. Let them know it is a common issue and fix. They shouldn't give you any grief about it. Good luck with it. I've had two P200E, a primavera, I still have a Scarabeo 50 that the wife and daughter ride around with.... TMax is it baby!!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #2164
The_Ghost
n00b

"Faking" the sysmptoms of TMax fever in order to "immunize" sounds like a good idea to me. My Vespa GTS and Savage both had issues running distances in the heat. I found that both of their issues were fixed by venting the gas tank to the atmosphere and capping off the vacuum ports those lines used to be attached to. Wish it were that easy on the T!

The dealership was Bird of Prey Motorsports. I had seen the T in there but always thought I couldn't afford it. How surprised I was...

I almost forgot, I still have my 1993 Honda CT70. 1000 miles, 12v electrics, and cherry. I may sell it though. All the other bikes left years ago.

The_Ghost screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 03:03 PM
Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #2165
The_Ghost
n00b

Just rode it the 100 miles back to my house. Man this thing can move. I think I will just have to ride slow as I can during the break in period. That means 65mph daily. It would take me forever to break it in below 4000rpm in Mountain Home Idaho. The town is 5 miles long at best.

Did the dual headlight mod with 10amp inline fuse as I ride to work when it's dark in the morning. Taped and shrink tubed everything up good but when I was reinstalling everything, I don't think I tightened down the black cowling screws tight enough. I think one fell out when I was banging some of the panels back in place. It'd be a pain to remove a bunch of stuff to check. Oh well.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #2166
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,675
Quote:
Just rode it the 100 miles back to my house. Man this thing can move. I think I will just have to ride slow as I can during the break in period. That means 65mph daily. It would take me forever to break it in below 4000rpm in Mountain Home Idaho. The town is 5 miles long at best.
Just ride it the way you'd ride it after the break-in.

How'd you break in a 50cc scooter which won't even move before
hitting 7000rpms (out of 8000 possible, for example)?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #2167
The_Ghost
n00b

I rarely have ever broken in anything as requested by the manufacturer. Your post sums it up pretty well, sometimes theres just little in the way of options to stay within the break in limits. I plan to ride as usual, but a bit more leisurely.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #2168
1stscoot
iscoot

Oddometer: 43
Where to find this variator tool?

Has anyone seen where you can get the TMax variator tool like this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/llrdhsktr/7054408393/in/photostream

This is available in Japan and has a 4 pronged connection. The two prong vise grip type holder available here in the States leaves a lot to be desired. It twists itself out of the holes before getting the nut to the 115lbs needed. I'm not any good a fabricating it myself.

Left Coast, Kalifornia
2009 Yamaha Tmax
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 200 RIP

1stscoot screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 12:22 PM Reason: Image not showing up...
1stscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #2169
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Might look into a Corbin seat in the future as I had one on the Vespa GTS, but thats likely the most expensive mod I'd plan to do.
I put a heated leather Russell Day-long saddle on mine and I can't imagine a better seat. I had them cut the hump out of the middle of the pan where the stock butt pad goes in order to be able to shape the seat better. The stock pad was in the wrong place for me.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #2170
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I put a heated leather Russell Day-long saddle on mine and I can't imagine a better seat. I had them cut the hump out of the middle of the pan where the stock butt pad goes in order to be able to shape the seat better. The stock pad was in the wrong place for me.
Got picture?
'12 NC700X/D
Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #2171
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
Got picture?
Look at my posts #403, 404, and 406 in this thread. More important than the looks (which I think are fine) is the unsurpassed comfort. I have ridden it from Georgia to central Missouri in one day (660 miles) and back the next day without discomfort. They may have records of how they did it (it was their first TMax) but I instructed them to cut thr hump out of the seat pan where the stock butt pad mounts. Without doing that, the padding would have been thin in an important place.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #2172
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Look at my posts #403, 404, and 406 in this thread. More important than the looks (which I think are fine) is the unsurpassed comfort. I have ridden it from Georgia to central Missouri in one day (660 miles) and back the next day without discomfort. They may have records of how they did it (it was their first TMax) but I instructed them to cut thr hump out of the seat pan where the stock butt pad mounts. Without doing that, the padding would have been thin in an important place.
You don't need to sell me on Russell's, I've had a few. Just wanted to see one on a scooter. Thanks,
'12 NC700X/D
Old 04-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #2173
Scot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
general TMAX question:

THe factory Tmax windscreen is two pieces. Can you just run the lower piece as a "sport screen" if you will?

Mine has a Givi. Came that way when I bought it. I don't have the stock screen.
2009 Honda DN01
Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #2174
Twisted Martini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I was thinking the same thing, I also have the GIVI tall shield. Gonna take it off and try it later this summer.
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #2175
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

My TMax was just customized by a buzzard. I was making about 70 when it hit the lower right side while trying to take off from a roadkill while I as passing in the other lane. He left me a feather...

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]