Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #796
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
My family and I all have a cold, so we're home sick today. I was a bit restless and it's a nice day, so I installed my J. Costa variator into my 500 mile Tmax.

Result? WOW! This thing is cool! I didn't take it for a long ride since I don't feel well, but I rode it around the neighborhood up to 40 mph. The bike really accelearates! After installing the variator, I twisted the throttle and my head flew back! I wasn't expecting that amount of acceleration. The front of the bike actually lifts a little under acceleration! (It doesn't pull a wheelie, but you can feel the weight transfer and the suspension lifts about an inch or two.)

BTW, this is the "standard" J. Costa variator. If the race version is quicker (it should be) it will be VERY entertaining. As for me, this is exactly what I was looking for. Very worthwhile mod!

rtking screwed with this post 06-06-2009 at 02:36 PM
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:38 AM   #797
rcroller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
rtking: Sounds great...how tough was it to do the installation? Is it something your average Joe can do or do you need special tools and knowhow? Thanks,
_____
Bob R.
2009 Yamaha T-Max
rcroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #798
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroller
rtking: Sounds great...how tough was it to do the installation? Is it something your average Joe can do or do you need special tools and knowhow?
Not tough, on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being most difficult), I'd call it a 6. You'll need:

1. 29mm Socket
2. Electric or Pneumatic impact wrench
3. 8 mm socket
4. 10 mm socket
5. 12 mm socket
6. Phillips #2 screwdriver
7. Phillips #3 screwdriver

Figure on taking about 2 - 3 hours to do the job. Most of that time is figuring out what panels to take off. A service manual will be helpful.

The variator nut should be torqued to 65 lb-ft, but I swear the factory had that thing torqued to 100 lb-ft. The electric impact wrench had a bit of a time trying to remove the nut, but it finally budged. I didn't need a variator holding tool. If you want to use a torque wrench, you can insert some Allen wrenches into ventilation ports (on the aluminum V-belt case) and through the variator, then apply a torque wrench on the variator nut to 65 lb-ft.

Overall, not a difficult job to do, but a little time consuming. Make sure to remember where all the screws come from. Because of the various sizes of screws and nuts that are used, it's good to mark where they came from on the bike. Also, the aluminum V-belt case will take some tapping from a rubber mallet to remove. But don't hit too hard as there is a bearing in the aluminum V-belt case that supports the variator.

Hope that helps!

Bob
Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #799
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, took the Tmax out for a longer ride today with the new variator. Acceleration is good and pretty linear. I did the manual count-off on acceleration (one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two...) and ran the bike up to 65 mph to offset speedometer error. I got about 6 - 6.5 seconds 0-60. I believe that's about a 2 - 3 second improvement!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #800
budk
OleScoot

Oddometer: 101
V Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking
Not tough, on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being most difficult), I'd call it a 6. You'll need:

to 65 lb-ft.

Overall, not a difficult job to do, but a little time consuming. Make sure to remember where all the screws come from. Because of the various sizes of screws and nuts that are used, it's good to mark where they came from on the bike. Also, the aluminum V-belt case will take some tapping from a rubber mallet to remove. But don't hit too hard as there is a bearing in the aluminum V-belt case that supports the variator.

Hope that helps!

Bob
Great report, Bob.. Do you think the V Belt can be replaced without removing both sheaves??
After reading your report, I'm tempted to throw on a J Costa at the same time!!

The different fasteners, particularly on the fairings, are a pain to keep up with. I put them in a plastic bag and keep with the panel they came from!
Still a pain.!

Please keep us informed on the performance results.. Italian kids stand on the pillion foot rests to do wheelies!!! (Don't try at home!)

BudK
budk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #801
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by budk
Great report, Bob.. Do you think the V Belt can be replaced without removing both sheaves??
Truthfully, I don't know. I thought the contra-spring (aka: torque spring) was on the inboard side, but the service manual shows it on the outboard side (same side as the nut.) If that's the case, you could conceivably put a foot against the secondary sheave and use both hands to compress the spring so the belt fits in between the two halves. When I glanced at it, I have to admit thinking that I thought that the secondary sheave would have to be removed to replace the belt.

As for the J. Costa: If you're already in there to do a belt, then I would definitely put in the J. Costa variator.

Bob
Old 06-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #802
budk
OleScoot

Thanks Bob, Looks like it must be a remove both to replace belt...
As for J Costa..I will give it some thought.. Keep us informed on the performance!
BudK

As for the J. Costa: If you're already in there to do a belt, then I would definitely put in the J. Costa variator.

Bob[/quote]
Old 06-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #803
rcroller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Thanks, Bob. I think budK has the right idea. The 12,000 mile belt change sounds like the perfect time to install the J Costa.
______
Bob R.
2009 Yamaha T-Max
rcroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #804
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Took the new TMax out for the first real long ride since I got it Thursday, 141 miles. Comfort was great, handling was wonderful, and I got double takes from all the squids as they rode past. Yup, definetly going to enjoy this for a loooooong time....

Ride Safe Everyone!
KneeDrachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #805
budk
OleScoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDrachen
Took the new TMax out for the first real long ride since I got it Thursday, 141 miles. Comfort was great, handling was wonderful, and I got double takes from all the squids as they rode past. Yup, definetly going to enjoy this for a loooooong time....

Ride Safe Everyone!
You really made the right choice KD... I'm just turning 10K miles and am still amazed at how pleasing this T is.... My wife often asks about "That nice little smile" I have after my rides! ....

Good riding,
BudK
Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #806
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Scootertime.net has a free Tmax service manual .pdf to download as well as any other scooter.

http://scootertime.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2323
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #807
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE
Scootertime.net has a free Tmax service manual .pdf to download as well as any other scooter.

http://scootertime.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2323
It's a great forum and I was/am a regular there when I had my Vino 125. In order to access the manuals, you'll need to post at least 5 times. It's a honest attempt to get people to stay and contribute, but folks have been jumping on and posting non-sensical replies to get their post count up. If you guys happen to go to Scootertime. stick around! Even though it's geared toward the smaller scoots, it's a fun forum.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #808
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
I just registered, no posts needed to get the service manual. I thanked them for providing this service. Otherwise it's $9 on ebay for this. You need the latest adobe 9 download to open it. I'll be going back to check things out on there but they seem to specialize more in the smaller scoots.
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #809
RaginBull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi all, I've been lurking on the board for sometime now and finally got a chance to register and post. I've had my T-Max for over a month now. I've been riding sportbikes off and on for the last 7 years. Have had 3 R6, 2 YSR and 1 GSXR 600. Bought the T-Max because my girlfriend doesn't like to ride my sportbike, says its uncomfortable. I love this thing! Definitely not a sportbike but it has it's place. I've started to mod it a bit, here are some before and now shots. Euro front LED blinkers on the way:

before:

now:

I had an 06 R6 50th Anniversary Edition which had the Laguna Seca outfit and that is where my inspiration for the mods came from:

This forum is awesome, lots of great info contributed in here.

RaginBull screwed with this post 06-10-2009 at 06:28 AM
RaginBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #810
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Very sharp looking!
KneeDrachen is offline   Reply With Quote