Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #826
Streamin' E
Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking
It was one of my requirements too as I was looking seriously at the Honda VFR 800 Interceptor w/ABS. But I couldn't do the VFR as I didn't want to add paniers or a top case, and without storage, it became just a "toy" instead of something I could use for commuting.

While I was disappointed that the Tmax doesn't have ABS, I'm finding the brakes to be wonderfully powerful and haven't come close to locking them up yet. I do wish there was a way to retrofit the ABS kit onto a Tmax without, but I'm sure it would be really expensive. But instead of denying myself the opportunity to ride the Tmax, I decided to "bite the bullet" and buy one. If the ABS version comes out (or the rumored 750cc version ever shows up), I'll just consider trading to one of those models. So yeah, I compromised my requirement, but in this case, I have no regrets!

What is life without compromise?
Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their “betters.”- Tom Sowell
Streamin' E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #827
RaginBull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua1957
Welcome RB great looking bike. I think the more you ride it the more you will like this bike. I absolutely love riding this bike.
Aqua

Thanks Aqua! The Tmax is here to stay for a very long time...
RaginBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #828
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamin' E
What is life without compromise?
Words to live by! Especially if, like me, you're married! ;)

Took the tmax on a 130 mile ride today including going over Ortega Highway. Great ride and no fatigue! Bike's handling is very confidence inspiring and very stable. Can't wait to ride Ortega Highway again!
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #829
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Agreed with the others RagInBull - your bike looks really sharp! In fact, your bike inspired me to put reflective stripes on my Tmax too! Great job on your bike and thanks for the photos!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #830
Pappy James
The Peripatetic Pastor

Oddometer: 87
bit the bullit

And traded my 12gs for a Tmax. So far I'm liking the choice.
Traded because my GS was starting to spend more time in the shop than out. It is my only vehicle (my wife has a car) and I couldn't ever get a loaner. Also, I can't take the car without stranding the wife because she won't ride the motorcycle. However, she is willing to ride a scooter. (It's a clutch/shifting thing) So there we are. (Side note I bought the Zurich extended warranty with a loaner bike promise.)

My first project, besides reembering not to grab the "clutch" just 'cause it sounds like I should, is to figure out how I want to mount my Zumo and XM radio antenna.
BMWOA #140788
Iron Butt Association #24478
http://www.rideacrossthecountry.com
www.adiim.org

~I'll come when you don't want me but need me...
And I'll leave when you want me but don't need me.~
- Nanny McPhee
Pappy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #831
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Having ridden a big scoot on the Blue Ridge Parkway and across some of the best local asphalt around (and in North America), I can say that you will not regret having a scoot when and if you get the chance to ride the dragon or the BRP.

You'll love it in traffic and in the twisties.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #832
RaginBull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking
Agreed with the others RagInBull - your bike looks really sharp! In fact, your bike inspired me to put reflective stripes on my Tmax too! Great job on your bike and thanks for the photos!
Thanks rtking!! Awesome, be sure to post some pics when you get them on.
RaginBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #833
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy James
My first project, besides reembering not to grab the "clutch" just 'cause it sounds like I should, is to figure out how I want to mount my Zumo and XM radio antenna.
Congrats on the Tmax! Agreed with the others - you won't regret it! Add a J. Costa variator if you want more off the line pep (makes a big difference.) But on the twisties, I can tell you that the Tmax is very confindence inspiring. I rode Ortega Highway last weekend and was very pleased with the way the bike performed.

As for the Zumo and XM Radio antenna: People have mounted their Zumo right on top of the "Tmax" plate in the center of the handle bars. I plan to add a Zumo there in the future.

The XM antenna: If you pull of the windshield to access the battery area, you'll see that the top of the glove boxes makes a great shelf for an XM antenna. Plus the box has plugs at the back side that you can route wires through.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #834
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
And traded my 12gs for a Tmax. So far I'm liking the choice.
Traded because my GS was starting to spend more time in the shop than out. It is my only vehicle (my wife has a car) and I couldn't ever get a loaner. Also, I can't take the car without stranding the wife because she won't ride the motorcycle. However, she is willing to ride a scooter. (It's a clutch/shifting thing) So there we are. (Side note I bought the Zurich extended warranty with a loaner bike promise.)

Great choice Pappy, I have dealt with woodson in the past pretty good people. I also have a Tmax, I purchased in Fort wayne also, different dealer. I am located in Huntington which is about 25 miles from you. Good luck with the TMAX and you will love it.
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #835
Pappy James
The Peripatetic Pastor

Thanks Joel,
Actually I'm technically in Huntington also. (I live at Camp Timberlake about 2 miles off hwy-24 on 675 N.

I'm helping a church in Fort Wayne so I tend to just list that. I bought at Woodson's because they gave me a good deal on a bad deal trade with the beemer. Good folks easy to work with. Fixed my order no problem, even ate the restock fee, (if there is going to be one) on the Yamaha rack/trunk stuff.

Will be out this Saturday teaching the wife to ride the scooter.
BMWOA #140788
www.adiim.org

- Nanny McPhee
Old 06-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #836
Pappy James
The Peripatetic Pastor

Zumo Intall

I was going to wait to post pictures of everything I've done at once but since the Givi Windshield and backrest have yet to arrive and I being a basically inpatient man decided to post the pics with just "phase 1".

The mount, yes I know it's crooked.

If you'll look closely you'll notice the XM Radio Antenna is sitting on top of the Engine Temp gauge and then the usb wire is routed back through the battery area. Hides both the wire and actually the antenna from prying eyes.

Couple of wider shots. Note the Alaska sheep skin. I've had that for several years. I bought it for my R1200CLC, but never used it on the GS. It fits perfectly on the TMax and provides a real comfort boost, especially with this heat we've been having.
BMWOA #140788
www.adiim.org

- Nanny McPhee
Old 06-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #837
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
PJ, can you explain how you mounted your GPS? Is it drilled in, U-bolted to the handlebar, etc?

Thanks.
KneeDrachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #838
Pappy James
The Peripatetic Pastor

First things first...Credit goes to budk who e-mailed me how to do this.

Basically in a nut shell it is screwed direclty to the center plate of handlebar cover. I had to get some longer screws and rubber grommets, to take care of the vibration, measured where I wanted the mount and drilled holes and attached. I drilled a larger hole for the power and usb cables to pass through then re-attached the cover. The cables passed under the handlebar cover and to the battery/dash area.
That's it. took all of about an hour to do.

Thank you Bud!
BMWOA #140788
www.adiim.org

- Nanny McPhee
Old 06-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #839
budk
OleScoot

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
First things first...Credit goes to budk who e-mailed me how to do this.

Basically in a nut shell it is screwed direclty to the center plate of handlebar cover. I had to get some longer screws and rubber grommets, to take care of the vibration, measured where I wanted the mount and drilled holes and attached. I drilled a larger hole for the power and usb cables to pass through then re-attached the cover. The cables passed under the handlebar cover and to the battery/dash area.
That's it. took all of about an hour to do.

Thank you Bud!
Don't mention it Pappy, glad to help. Looks great!! (even on a blue)
You are going to love that T more and more each day!

How's the XM?? Sound OK??

BudK
Yellow T
budk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #840
Pappy James
The Peripatetic Pastor

The XM sounds great. HOWEVER, I've got a lot of wind noise on the TMax that should be cleared up when my new windscreen gets here. I use the xm with a starcom headset in a shoei fullface helmet.
BMWOA #140788
www.adiim.org

- Nanny McPhee