Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #106
Calidrew
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Honey, Your scooter is setting off the seismograph again!

Actually it went to the manufacturer that does not have a rival between 49cc and 600cc. Oops, was that out loud? So, no pipe work, yet. Although a nice Meerschaum...
Andrew
Long Beach Motorsports
562-427-2779
Calidrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #107
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla8
This is all great news keep it commin!!!! I was going to go check out the Tmax at my local dealer today but We had a little Earthquake and I did'nt make it :)

I hope the roof of the dealer did not fall in on the Tmax. So far I have seen sales in Ohio, Minnesota and California. Here in Florida my dealer is still waiting on news of shipment on my Tmax... But progress is being made and that counts for something....
Scooterboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #108
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Cry Secret Squirrill Spy stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidrew
Our Tmax is going to another manufacturer for top secret spy stuff. It should be back in a couple of days. I'll post when we get it back.
Andrew
Long Beach Motorsports
562-427-2779
I hate it when they do that. US customers want our Tmax's now not after they have been modified by other Manufacturers.........
Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #109
HayHole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Fuel Gauge...

...is poorly calibrated. The manual says it holds four gallons, and the gauge is marked off in quarters. Well, the needle was as low as I figured I should let it go and so I stopped to fill the tank. Having gone only 160 miles, I assumed I was looking at about 40 mpg. I could only get 3.3 gallons into it, so my mileage was roughly 48 mpg on the first tank. Not too bad, but lower than I expected. On another note, it has a great seat! Better than all the BMWs I ever owned. I spent about three hours on it yesterday and no sore a#@. The more I drive it the more I like it!
HayHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #110
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayHole
...is poorly calibrated. The manual says it holds four gallons, and the gauge is marked off in quarters. Well, the needle was as low as I figured I should let it go and so I stopped to fill the tank. Having gone only 160 miles, I assumed I was looking at about 40 mpg. I could only get 3.3 gallons into it, so my mileage was roughly 48 mpg on the first tank. Not too bad, but lower than I expected. On another note, it has a great seat! Better than all the BMWs I ever owned. I spent about three hours on it yesterday and no sore a#@. The more I drive it the more I like it!
My majesty is much the same. the first 55 miles it only drops one mark on the LCD gauge After that it goes down fast. When I fill up at 190 miles I put in 3.3 gallons and get 58 MPG. Does the Tmax have a low fuel indicator like the Majesty's do? 160 miles and 3.3Gallons I can deal with that just fine :) The Majesty is rated at 51 mpg on the Yamaha website and the Tmax is at 48. I have never had a 50-52 mpg tank it has always been between 55-59 I suspect the Tmax will be around 52-55 mpg the way I ride.... keep that information coming. The more I know when the Tmax arrives the better I will like it......
Old 08-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #111
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,207
Aw man! I had no idea! I wish I had known Yamaha was bringing the T-Max here in the US!
I have dreamed about one of those for several years now and I never thought I would see the day...
I really am speechless. I want one so bad! Guess I am going to have to sell my new 'Wing. A#%^! Damn you Yamaha! But thanks as well.
gore-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #112
HiTechRedneck
Big Ruckin'

Oddometer: 1,405
Less than 50 mpg???? ON a scooter? Holy sheesh, stop the rape right now!

That's horrible mileage. Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Whatever you say, Socrates.
HiTechRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #113
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 341
While I'm not a scooter-fanboy(I do own a lil Ruck for buzzing around town), I've always like the Tmax (especially the newer body style) and stoked Yamaha finally brought it over to the US.

My question to the scooterist here...do you think it will do well at the asking price of 8K?

To me, it seems kinda steep when you have Swings/Burgs in the same price range that offer better functionality and storage capacity then the Tmax. Tmax offers the styling only.
From what I can tell, the people who are attracted to these large scooters seem to be more of the practical type and would be looking at key factors like functionality, performance, storage, comfort, styling combined...not just styling alone.

If Yamaha offered these things at 6.5K, I would be all over it like white on rice (no racial pun intended), and take the s**t from my friends happily. At 8K, it's too much to make me switch over.

BTW... for SoCal residence, OTDcyclesports quoted me 8.1K OTD for the Blue/White. The yellow was a bit more I think. Thought about it for a sec but passed.
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #114
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaMan
To me, it seems kinda steep when you have Swings/Burgs in the same price range that offer better functionality and storage capacity then the Tmax. Tmax offers the styling only.
From what I can tell, the people who are attracted to these large scooters seem to be more of the practical type and would be looking at key factors like functionality, performance, storage, comfort, styling combined...not just styling alone.
When I was shopping for a big scoot that's what swayed me toward the Burgman. I lost a little cornering clearance to the Tmax but gained more power, double the storage and better wind protection.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #115
vales1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Wicked

Just a little inside info for those who are interested in purchasing the TMax stateside

This model has a 3% dealer holdback which means 3% of msrp is paid to the dealer at the end of the model year. So respectively,

Deep Blue Tmax list price: $7999 - dealer gets $239.97
Cadmium Yellow list price: $8099 - dealer gets $242.97
paid to dealer for every unit sold within the previous 12 months of model year.

Ready to sell cost for Blue Tmax: $6931
Ready to sell cost for Yellow Tmax: $7014
Please note that these prices are dealer cost with no profit to dealer. Dealers will not haggle for any less than 5% over these cost.

You'll know exactly how much the dealer wants to profit by their "asking price" (which may include setup, freight fees etc) minus the ready to sell cost above.

Now to be fair to the dealer (so they stay in business), add between 5% - 10% to the ready to sell cost.
EX:
Blue Tmax: $6931 + 5% = $7277.55 / +10% = $7624.10 so your haggling price is between these two prices. Let's say you successfully haggled down to $7277.55, In my case my "out the door price" including tax, lic, and registration comes out to around $7900 (which is alot better than $8700 if i didn't haggle)
As for the dealer, they'll make $346.55 + $239.97(dealer holdback) = $586.52 - everyone wins

One thing to consider though is that the TMax is sooo in demand right now (especially here in California) that the dealer may not be willing to haggle. But try it anyway, who knows, you might just walk away with extra bucks in your pocket

For those wondering, I got the info from a buddy who works at the local dealership. He's hooking me up with the tmax , I just thought I'd share the info.

BTW, anybody interested in buying my Silverwing?

vales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 AM   #116
Rottweiler
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaMan
While I'm not a scooter-fanboy(I do own a lil Ruck for buzzing around town), I've always like the Tmax (especially the newer body style) and stoked Yamaha finally brought it over to the US.

My question to the scooterist here...do you think it will do well at the asking price of 8K?
I probably don't qualify as a scooterist as I don't even have one yet. But I can't get out of my head that a lot of the whole point of scooters has to do with that growing market demand for economical transportation.

For myself, I can't imagine buying one given that a DL-650 can be had for less and a ton of slightly used bikes similarly.

But then I can't fathom how HD sells so many mega$ cruisers and similarly for gold-plated Goldwings. So I guess I'm just out of touch with the market.

Still, I think the market is changing and I wonder if high-end stuff like this Hummer-esque Yamaha scooter is where it is going.

Sure is a fine ride, tho.

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #117
jmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler
...I can't get out of my head that a lot of the whole point of scooters has to do with that growing market demand for economical transportation.

For myself, I can't imagine buying one given that a DL-650 can be had for less and a ton of slightly used bikes similarly...
The T-Max was clearly designed for two years ago. Good looking and sporty performance. Too expensive and not enough MPG's or storage for the current scooter market.
jmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #118
jmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by vales1
Generally not a fan of "bold graphics" but that is definately a sharp looking scooter!! Thanks for the pricing data.
jmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #119
vales1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoto
Generally not a fan of "bold graphics" but that is definately a sharp looking scooter!!
LOL, the scoot was originally dark gray and I almost got into an accident a couple of times bec. people say the "didn't see" me. As "slow" as it is, i thought of increasing my visibility by doing a tribute to Nicky Hayden's repsol. Now, some people actually slow down just to have a look.
vales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #120
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by vales1
As "slow" as it is
Looks great, why replace it with another slow scooter?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote