Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #16
commo_soulja
Supa Thumpa Pilot

Oddometer: 375
Whoa! I went and test rode a Genuine Rattler 110 this past weekend. It was a nice scoot but I may have to wait for the 125 Zuma. FI four stroke and a better dealer network make it more desirable, at least for me.

So when should we expect these in dealers? Late Summer 08 or Fall 08?
commo_soulja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
So.... Am I the only one who is creeped out by the old dude in sneakers they used in all the 09 scooter pictures
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
aalegado
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger
So.... Am I the only one who is creeped out by the old dude in sneakers they used in all the 09 scooter pictures
Noticed that too...

Did you watch the video? Meredith is a hottie.

The Smiling Yamaha dudes are creepy though.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #19
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
I don't see the old part. He needs a little sun. With an untucked shirt, relaxed jeans, and skater shoes, he certainly isn't dressed like an old dude.

But, why are the people selling the scooter grinning, but the guy riding it isn't?

I think a visit to the dealer in the dead of winter '09 is in order. Me likey.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
I swear this guy looks 70 to me...

Creepy old man in skate sneakers I say....creepy.

Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #21
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
The price difference, besides content, is that the Agility is made in China and the People is not. I actually like the Agility and it is on my short list. But I like the Zuma 125 a lot more and would gladly pay an extra $1000 for the Zuma.
True, the Agility is made in China, but it's made in a Kymco factory with their quality control in place. I did a bit of research on the model, and found that they are very good quality scooters dispite the fact that it's made in China. It's not a "Chinese Scooter".

When you are talking about a $2000 scooter, an additional $1000 is like buying HALF of another scooter. It's a bit steep.

Now, if it were a $10,000 motorcycle, paying another $1000 for a better bike is not a big deal, but on a scooter, it's a chunk of change.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #22
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis
True, the Agility is made in China, but it's made in a Kymco factory with their quality control in place. I did a bit of research on the model, and found that they are very good quality scooters dispite the fact that it's made in China. It's not a "Chinese Scooter".

When you are talking about a $2000 scooter, an additional $1000 is like buying HALF of another scooter. It's a bit steep.

Now, if it were a $10,000 motorcycle, paying another $1000 for a better bike is not a big deal, but on a scooter, it's a chunk of change.
Agreed on all counts. I have heard the Agility is one of the highest quality scooters made in China. I inspected it very carefully at the motorcycle show in Atlanta earlier this year and was impressed with its build quality, especially for its price.

However, there is something about that Zuma 125 that just does it for me. The idea of an adventure scooter that I can take off road, with a fuel injected motor for $3000 sounds great. There are lots of local dirt roads to ride around here and the Yamaha dealer is just 5 miles away. The nearest Kymco dealer is far enough away that I would need to take the interstate to get there, which I could not do on the Agility 125 if warranty work was needed. So it would have to ride there in the back of the truck, which is not a deal breaker by any means.

I originally wanted a Burgman 650 but not anymore. I've had foot surgery and the big Burgman is just too heavy post-surgery for me. Now I am trying to decide whether to go with a 400cc scooter, such as a Burgman 400 or a Majesty (which are still big scooters - I test rode a Majesty last month and was amazed how long it is) or a really small, maneuverable 125cc scooter. Either way, I am keeping the DR 650 and the cruiser. Just can't quite make up my mind.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

The Zuma looks cool for sure. I think the Genuine Rattler 110 is pretty cool looking too. Very dirtbike inspired and you get the wonderful 2 stroke sound and smell. :)
Old 06-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #24
aalegado
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 422
I still think Meredith is a hottie.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #25
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
My son and I rode the Shadow over to the local Yamaha/Honda store this morning to try on some scooters. The 2008 50cc Zuma does not have enough room for my size 13 shoes. So it looks like no Zuma 125 for me. The Ruckus was more spacious but I need much more than 50cc to avoid getting run over around here. The Vino 50 had much more leg room than the Zuma, but it looked so tiny that my 12 year old looked big on it. They did not have a Vino 125 - is it bigger than the Vino 50?

Chad, how's the foot and legroom on the Agility 125?

I'm starting to think that I will end up with a Burgman 400.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #26
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
My son and I rode the Shadow over to the local Yamaha/Honda store this morning to try on some scooters. The 2008 50cc Zuma does not have enough room for my size 13 shoes. So it looks like no Zuma 125 for me. The Ruckus was more spacious but I need much more than 50cc to avoid getting run over around here. The Vino 50 had much more leg room than the Zuma, but it looked so tiny that my 12 year old looked big on it. They did not have a Vino 125 - is it bigger than the Vino 50?
Yes, the Vino 125 is bigger in every dimension than the 50 -- I don't fit on the 50 but can ride the 125 everywhere. And from the website, the Zuma 125 is also larger than the Zuma 50 -- they change more than just the engine size between the models.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #27
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

My feet fit fine on the Agility 125, and I'm sporting big size 13's too.

Just depends on what you're looking for, but if you want a lightweight scooter (~220lbs) that can carry a 200lb man at 55mph all day long, for less than $2000, you really only have one choice.

I looked at some of the more expensive scooters, and I really liked the Kymco People 250. But at nearly 350lbs, it was a bit porky to use as a pit bike at the track, and it was pretty pricey too. I had to evaluate what I really needed, and I decided that I needed a scoot that could buzz around the paddock at track days and carry me 13 miles to work each way. That's it.

I don't plan on touring, or riding for pleasure with my scooter, so comfort, handling, etc, weren't really a big concern for me. Luckily the Agility is plenty comfortable. The suspension sucks, but it handles alright for what it is. It's easy to park, gets great mileage, and after I reviewed the service manual which I downloaded for free, it looks pretty easy to work on.

Of course, it comes with a 2 year warranty, and I have two Kymco dealers locally.

I'm happy with it.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #28
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
I swear this guy looks 70 to me...

Creepy old man in skate sneakers I say....creepy.

Isn't everyone in FL. 70+
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #29
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked roads
Isn't everyone in FL. 70+
What the heck ? Why is he riding a zuma then picture below something else?
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #30
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Already have a Zuma 50cc.

Kinda want the 125 too. Looks neat. Wonder what the top speed will be?
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote