User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #31
TheBigO
aka The Big Square Head

Oddometer: 246
I hear good things about the 125

My barber just got one two weeks ago and couldn't shut-up about it.

He's a big boy (I'm guessing 240 lbs.) and he says the thing has no trouble zinging him around. He's says he's had it up to 50 and it had much more to give. He also said he's getting 90+ mpg so it's sounds like a real winner.

Funny that you mention foot room as he said that was his only complaint too. They fit, but there's no room to move around so longer rides can get tricky.

Nice looking little scoot. He paid top dollar - the local dealer wasn't about to move on price but what do you expect @ $4/gallon.

My son hasn't shut-up about it either, so FWIW the younger generation is digging it.

Character is who you are when no one is watching...
TheBigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #32
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO
My barber just got one two weeks ago and couldn't shut-up about it.

He's a big boy (I'm guessing 240 lbs.) and he says the thing has no trouble zinging him around. He's says he's had it up to 50 and it had much more to give. He also said he's getting 90+ mpg so it's sounds like a real winner.

Funny that you mention foot room as he said that was his only complaint too. They fit, but there's no room to move around so longer rides can get tricky.

Nice looking little scoot. He paid top dollar - the local dealer wasn't about to move on price but what do you expect @ $4/gallon.

My son hasn't shut-up about it either, so FWIW the younger generation is digging it.
Not bad! How long did it take him to get to 50 is the question.

If I made more money, this scoot would be in my top 5 "to own" bikes!
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #33
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
So I stopped by a local Yamaha shop to put a deposit down on a 125 Zuma.

MSRP $2999 He quoted me $4817 OTD. WTF was he smoking? I was thinking maybe $3500-3600 after taxes and license.

Needless to say, I will buy elsewhere.

Older gentleman working there was friendly and we shot the $hit for awhile talking about the new 250 DS. Guy I ended up with acted like he was doing me a favor.

$600 for set up? I used to work at a Yamaha shop. At most we had to put on the front wheel, install battery, handlebars and turn signals. 1/2 hour if you took your time.

I ask him, how much if I pay cash? Same price...then he says they only make $200 on scooters. Yeah right...
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #34
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
So I stopped by a local Yamaha shop to put a deposit down on a 125 Zuma.

MSRP $2999 He quoted me $4817 OTD. WTF was he smoking? I was thinking maybe $3500-3600 after taxes and license.

Needless to say, I will buy elsewhere.

Older gentleman working there was friendly and we shot the $hit for awhile talking about the new 250 DS. Guy I ended up with acted like he was doing me a favor.

$600 for set up? I used to work at a Yamaha shop. At most we had to put on the front wheel, install battery, handlebars and turn signals. 1/2 hour if you took your time.

I ask him, how much if I pay cash? Same price...then he says they only make $200 on scooters. Yeah right...
Perhaps a complaint call to Yamaha USA is in order. Close to a 75% markup is absurd.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #35
Bmaintz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have a '03 Zuma & want the new Zuma 125 real bad...
Will start shopping for a dealer that won't screw me...
Bmaintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:40 AM   #36
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish
Yes, the Vino 125 is bigger in every dimension than the 50 -- I don't fit on the 50 but can ride the 125 everywhere. And from the website, the Zuma 125 is also larger than the Zuma 50 -- they change more than just the engine size between the models.
That is good news. Hopefully the Zuma 125 will have enough footroom for me because this is the scooter I want if I can fit my big feet on it. I love the idea of a "dual-sport" scooter because there are lots of fun dirt roads around here, some of them are in great condition and others are not. I am assuming the Zuma 125 has enough suspension travel to actually be taken off pavement without rattling one's bones.

If I can't fit on the Zuma, my next three choices are: Vino 125 (Japanese quality and the dealer is very close); Genuine Buddy 125 (nothing but excellent reviews on this scoot but the dealer is not close); and Kymco Agility 125 (Chad has me almost convinced to buy this one, the price is right but the dealer is far and from reading Chad's comments, I get the feeling the Kymco's suspension is sub-standard).
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #37
Dasadab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I tested a Buddy 125. Its fun, but way too small a fit for me at 6-1. My knees were really crowded.
Dasadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #38
mievil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Perhaps a complaint call to Yamaha USA is in order. Close to a 75% markup is absurd.
You realize this is pretty standard for new releases, especially something that everyone is going to be wanting. It is indeed absurd, but they did the same thing with the new Ninja 250. The dealers here can't even keep any scooters in stock. Went to go check out a Genuine today and they have been sold out for weeks on everything in the showroom. Empty showrooms are a little weird. No Vespas, Genuines, Sym, Kymco, Aprilias, Piaggios, nothing. If dealers can sell them at that much of a markup, they will. Hell, I would.
mievil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #39
Oni
Ronin

Just put a deposit on one. 2nd in line. They didn't have any paperwork for the new Zuma's, but said it should be very close to MSRP OTD.

Went to a better dealer. Will never go back to the other dealer for anything. Will go way out of my way to support a good shop.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #40
felixcasio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
in FL you could highway it but how is it for 2-up? from the pic on the mfg site looks like a knee squeezer if 2 up.
felixcasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #41
shark_za
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Fuel economy is the only thing this one has over my BWS100.
I want both ;)
Montessa Cota 315R
Kawasaki AR50
shark_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #42
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedneck
Scooters freaking rock!!!

Unless you live smack dab in the middle of a concrete jungle, well, the minimum displacement I'd go with is 125cc.

And that Zuma is sa-weet! Hope you get it, ride safely!

"Whut kinda motersickle is thet?"
"It isn't, it's a scooter"

"Thet don't look like no scooter!"
"Ya know, you're right....it's really my Apocalyptic Assault Vehicle, and you're it's first victim...."
I liked my Urban Assault Combat Scooter but the above has me beat
Scooterboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #43
GasPricesSuck
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Anyone from Southern California who can recommend a good, fair dealer to me? I noticed that one of you guys shopped around quite a bit and put a deposit down after being quoted close to MSRP out the door. Maybe Oni can help me out here? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is going to be my first scooter purchase and I'm so excited.

Once I get the new Zuma I'll be sure to contribute any thoughts or opinions I have about the bike itslef and my experience with the purchase.

Thanks in advance. :)

-Garrett
GasPricesSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:29 PM   #44
Oni
Ronin

Hey there Garrett

I went to Los Angeles Yamaha in Marina Del Rey. They are part of the OTD network. www.otdcyclesports.com High volume, lower prices...but still a fairly small shop. Dealt with Jim. He is a 70's era bike buff and we spent more time BS'ing about old bikes than talking about the scooter. They don't have any info or paperwork on the bikes yet, so can't give an OTD price as of yet...but said it will be very close to MSRP.

Del Amo Motorsports promises good prices too...but I have heard some scary stuff about them. I think they have had a change in management though. A friend bought his Ducati there years ago with no problems.

I bought my Zuma 50 at Yamaha of Cucamonga in 2005. The parts guy there has a Zuma and has done some work on it. Small shop, decent folks there too.

Do you have any MC or scooter experience? Make sure to buy protective gear and take an MSF class.

Oni screwed with this post 07-16-2008 at 12:09 AM
Old 07-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #45
GasPricesSuck
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
Hey there Garrett

I went to Los Angeles Yamaha in Marina Del Rey. They are part of the OTD network. www.otdcyclesports.com High volume, lower prices...but still a fairly small shop. Dealt with Jim. He is a 70's era bike buff and we spent more time BS'ing about old bikes than talking about the scooter. They don't have any info or paperwork on the bikes yet, so can't give an OTD price as of yet...but said it will be very close to MSRP.

Del Amo Motorsports promises good prices too...but I have heard some scary stuff about them. I think they have had a change in management though. A friend bought his Ducati there years ago with no problems.

I bought my Zuma 50 at Yamaha of Cucamonga in 2005. The parts guy there has a Zuma and has done some work on it. Small shop, decent folks there too.

Do you have any MC or scooter experience? Make sure to buy protective gear and take an MSF class.
Thank you for your response! I'll definitely be checking out the places you've listed...especially otdcyclesports.

I'm glad that you asked, because I actually have no mc experience. I have driven a friend's 125cc scooter on several ocassions (public property, no traffic). I will definitely be buying the necessary gear (any recommendations are welcome :) as well as taking the MSF class. I plan on having all of this done well before buying my scooter, which hopefully will be a new Zuma in Sept.

Thanks again!
GasPricesSuck is offline   Reply With Quote