Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #46
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasPricesSuck
I will definitely be buying the necessary gear (any recommendations are welcome :) as well as taking the MSF class. I plan on having all of this done well before buying my scooter, which hopefully will be a new Zuma in Sept.

Thanks again!
I would recommend a vented jacket with some type of armor in it. When I commute I wear my Rally Pro 2 jacket and a mesh reflective vest. Full face helmet of some type (saves the face). Even a MX type helmet with safety glasses. Gloves...I usually just wear my dirt bike gloves.

Check out the Honda Rider Education facility in Colton. They have very good classes, including MSF.

I don't always wear all that gear . I have even been known to wear T-shirt and Keens...but always full face helmet and gloves...for slow putts around the nieghborhood. I almost always gear up for commuting or longer rides though.

There has been a lot more scooters on the road recently...so hopefully cage drivers notice them more. On the scoot, I do everything to make myself more visible, wired the lights so both are on and run highbeams during the day, etc.

May be helpful to find a big empty parking lot to practice using the brakes (especially the front), turning quickly and generally getting used to riding. Rose Bowl area, Santa Anita racetrack are a few I can think of.

Good luck and have fun.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #47
wesel123
VERY Proud Daddy

Oddometer: 242
How offroad worthy could this scoot be????

Fire trails possible????? I would think so.

My CT70 will do the fire trails.
wesel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #48
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Saw one last weekend

I sat on one last weekend, sweet bike. I am trying to talk my son into trading his Yamaha C-3 in on it???

Has anyone actually riden one yet?????????
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #49
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Picked mine up yesterday. Love it so far. Even though the specs say it is close dimensionally to the 50 Zuma, it feels much more substantial. Suspension is better, more legroom.

Gets up to 50 quickly than tapers off a bit. Got it up to 61 indicated and it was still pulling slowly. Have to find a good place for a top speed run.

It has a broad, kinda featureless powerband...the 50 seems to have a little snap to it...but it accelerates smoothly and quickly I thought for a 125. It was better than I was expecting!

Won't be outgunned at all on my 50 mile work commute. There are a few 50MPH+ sections that the 50 struggles with...unless I find a van to draft.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #50
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,412
I think this would be a great scooter for me!! like the ruckus, but better and with underseat storage!
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #51
NUTT-79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
My girlfriend put a deposit on a Zuma 125 Saturday. MSRP + about $600 TTL here in TX. While she bought it for her, I told her I'm going to ride the piss out of it! If you see a guy wearing a yellow 'Stitch riding a wheelie on a black Zuma in the Houston Galleria area be sure to wave!!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #52
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
One thing you can never discount on a scooter is the between the legs storage. On my Zuma 50cc I can fill the top box, put stuff under the seat and then under my feet or between my feet. I can carry a load a groceries that would be impossible on a regualr motorcycle. I think the Zuma 125, being able to hit 60 mph is going to sell very well.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #53
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
One thing you can never discount on a scooter is the between the legs storage. On my Zuma 50cc I can fill the top box, put stuff under the seat and then under my feet or between my feet. I can carry a load a groceries that would be impossible on a regualr motorcycle. I think the Zuma 125, being able to hit 60 mph is going to sell very well.
This is a really good point. I just looked at the photos of the Zuma 125 on the Yamaha website, and was pleased to see that they gave it a flat floorboard. That means that you can carry big packages, bags of dogfood, propane canisters, and other oddities across the floorboards; you can't do this on scooters that have a hump in the middle between your feet.

My guess is that this is going to be a big seller for Yamaha. I want one, but can't really justify it for another year or two.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #54
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
Top speed Zuma 125

I would love to hear from one of you new owners what the actual (GPS, not speedometer) top speed of the zuma 125 is. I would love to buy one but would need it to hit 60 for a least a minute or two at a time to be able to get safely to work. I am not really interested in modifying it so just the stock top speed would be fantastic!
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #55
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish
This is a really good point. I just looked at the photos of the Zuma 125 on the Yamaha website, and was pleased to see that they gave it a flat floorboard. That means that you can carry big packages, bags of dogfood, propane canisters, and other oddities across the floorboards; you can't do this on scooters that have a hump in the middle between your feet.

My guess is that this is going to be a big seller for Yamaha. I want one, but can't really justify it for another year or two.
And don't forget firewood piles up nicely on the floorboard too! That's a big reason I won't get a C3 either. -Jason
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #56
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
Canadian Review

check this out.

http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-re...y?artid=100212

I think I have found enough info to want one for the wife. It would still be nice to hear from a few owners on this scoots dirt potential. (dirt roads)
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #57
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnlight
check this out.

http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-re...y?artid=100212

I think I have found enough info to want one for the wife. It would still be nice to hear from a few owners on this scoots dirt potential. (dirt roads)
Is there no way to add a rear cargo rack on the Zuma 125? That might be a deal breaker for me I use my cheapo harbor freight trunk almost every day, and it needs a rack to bolt to. Without that, a scooter is a lot less useful for me.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #58
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

And I just answered my own question: Yamaha sells a rear rack for the Zuma (here), so a trunk would bolt right on. It's weird that it got dinged in the review for that, when it's a factory accessory...
Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #59
LC NW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxatwin
I ride the Honda Ruckus and does 40 flat road 45 downhill 25 uphill, but it is just a joy to ride. Speed depends on your belly size.
I guess my belly killed my old scoot!
1990 Honda Hurricane 600,
1986 Kawasaki ZX10 Ninja,
1986 Kawasaki ZX10 Ninja
1985 Kawasaki ZX6 Ninja,
1984 Kawasaki GPZ550,
1983 Honda Interceptor VF750,
1982 Honda MB5,
1975 Yamaha DT175 [First Love!]
LC NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #60
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
Picking up mine tomorrow

I have decided that my BMW is the wrong tool for the job for commuting in Northern Virgina (18mi on 7100), so I just bought a z125. I plan to break in the engine MotoMan style (summary: ride it hard, change the oil, repeat = it's broken in). Presently I am carless, so I want to be able to get to the office and local spots for most of the year. The big bike is great when I can actually drive it, but sucks for stop-n-go, and when winter comes I'll be willing to risk the salt and ice more with the scoot than with the chrome. It cost more than I had initially budgeted, but there's no safe way out of the Springfield/Burke area without travelling 45+mph so better this than a 50cc.

Totally random note: the blue Zuma matches my blue BMW R1100R... fate, not planning.

No hot rodding plans, but I do look forward to some adventure commuting in the greater DC area.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote