volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #62
Scooterboy58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked roads
Isn't everyone in FL. 70+

Nope But it seems that way sometime here in Florida especially from October-April
Scooterboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #63
LC NW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
My son and I rode the Shadow over to the local Yamaha/Honda store this morning to try on some scooters. The 2008 50cc Zuma does not have enough room for my size 13 shoes. So it looks like no Zuma 125 for me. The Ruckus was more spacious but I need much more than 50cc to avoid getting run over around here. The Vino 50 had much more leg room than the Zuma, but it looked so tiny that my 12 year old looked big on it. They did not have a Vino 125 - is it bigger than the Vino 50?

Chad, how's the foot and legroom on the Agility 125?

I'm starting to think that I will end up with a Burgman 400.
Good choice on the Burgman!
1990 Honda Hurricane 600,
1986 Kawasaki ZX10 Ninja,
1986 Kawasaki ZX10 Ninja
1985 Kawasaki ZX6 Ninja,
1984 Kawasaki GPZ550,
1983 Honda Interceptor VF750,
1982 Honda MB5,
1975 Yamaha DT175 [First Love!]
LC NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #64
ruffshod67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Has anyone had one on gravel roads.
thanks
ruffshod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #65
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
No gravel yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffshod67
Has anyone had one on gravel roads.
thanks

My bike is still getting broken in (70 miles as of this evening) so I am not doing too much out there stuff yet, but I want to try a fire road as soon as possible.

The tire pressure will have to come down, though. Previous comments about suspension are well founded: it ain't much. To compound this, the recommended tire pressure for riders of 90kg or more (i.e. me) is pretty hard for such small wheels and would be super-slippery on dirt or gravel.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #66
ruffshod67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
thanks let us know if you get a chance to hit some gravel or fire roads.
ruffshod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #67
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Cruising speed??

So those of you that own one, what is a good cruising speed without running wide open??

I guess what I am asking is what is the speed wide open??

Can this thing run 55 mph or 60mph without running wide open??

Help me out, would this thing be a good commuter for 20 miles where speed limit is 55 and 60mph??

Joel.
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #68
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
great question, I'm reading different things and if it could do 50-55 ACTUAL comfortably, I'd consider it big time (26 mile round trip commute, road speeds 45-50mph)
Old 09-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #69
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel mark
So those of you that own one, what is a good cruising speed without running wide open??

I guess what I am asking is what is the speed wide open??

Can this thing run 55 mph or 60mph without running wide open??

Help me out, would this thing be a good commuter for 20 miles where speed limit is 55 and 60mph??

Joel.
I'd be curious if it is much different than my Vino 125. The Vino can do 55-60 on the flat (or with a slight downhill), and no headwind. But if the road has even a slight uphill (the kind of small uphill you don't even notice in a car), or there is a headwind, that top speed drops quite quickly. So I wouldn't use my Vino on a long fast road if there were any uphills or lots of wind.

The Zuma 125 may be a bit stronger, or may have different final gearing, which could make it more viable for your commute. My guess is, though, that if you want to do 55+ for extended periods, you want an engine bigger than 125cc.
Tinfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #70
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,704
Just picked one up

This is actually a christmas present for my daughter, but its pretty much mine til then (as long as she doesn't see it - but she's only with me 1/2 time)

Anyways, I'm 5'10", 205 lb, XL sail area. I got in a test ride last week, but drove it home day before yesterday. I live about 20 miles out of town along a US hwy that climbs over a small mt range (1000 ft valley to pass) - I live about 1/3 the way up the actual slope.

Acceleration in town is excellent. I went up the hill from the valley (1/2 mile fairly steep) at 55 indicated/WOT. On the flat, I couldn't quite hit 60. In medium traffic, I was keeping up OK. Since this was part of breakin, I would take every other exit and do a stretch on the feeder road before going WOT up the ramp again. She likes to cruise at 45 - effortless.

On the overpasses, she pulled down to 49, and as the slope started to ramp up for the pass she dropped to 45. I took the turnaround and went downhill an exit (just to check) and hit 64 - but after another turnaround, it was back to 45. The girl can definitely commute on this scoot, but still will be getting good out of the feeder roads in certain traffic conditions.

After a cooldown break, I took her south on the local road (2 lane no shoulder chipseal) and got similar performance thru the rolling country. My actual neighborhood is all dirt roads, so I cruised thru that for a while. Deep sand causes wallowing, but with my outriggers deployed I got thru ok. The suspension travel is rather short and stiff, but basic handling of gravel, sand and packed dirt was acceptable. Speed ripple is no fun, but not a big problem - just have to slow down.

I found a Zuma forum, they even have a section for the 125: http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=53
This motor has been out for a while, so performance stuff is available:
http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/vie...hp?f=54&t=4103
Once my girl gets confident with the stock machine, I will definitely put a variator in it - better performance thru the range and slightly better top speed - and maybe a better clutch. The bore/stroke kits won't be on the agenda for a while.

And here's a '06 Vino comparo: http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/vie...hp?f=47&t=4376

Cheers!

PS: Yellow

'Being an adult is so much better when you forget that you're supposed to be boring' (D.Corsetto, 9/7/12)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #71
Hoseman
pushing rocks.....

Oddometer: 596
Great avatar!

A friend of mine managed to snag one of those shirts before they got sued and had to stop making them. Cracks me up everytime I see it.
Hoseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 AM   #72
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Thanks for the links

Hey Wadester thanks for the links, great reading material.

I bought my son a Yamaha C-3 Scoot this spring for graduation, he loves it and we are talking about upgrading to a Zuma 125. The C-3 is great for around town, but to go anywere else you are a menace to traffic. Top speed on the C-3 is around 40mph.

So we are looking for something with a little more speed, without moving up to a larger ride. The C-3 is his first bike, great way to learn just do not want to move up to something to large to soon. That is why we were thinking of the Zuma125. When I bought the C-3 I was also interested in the Vino125 they were sold out for the year I was told.

I will read all the Zuma forum info and go from there. If anyone has any advice I am all ears . My son is very interested in riding, has never rode a motorcycle just a scoot so I would like to keep it simple til he gets a couple years of riding experience. Joel.
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #73
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
My experience

I have had the Z125 for just over a week. I have been doing a break-in but also commuting 18mi/way in Northern Virginia (Burke-Herndon).

I plan to start a stand-alone thread on this to track the development of the bike and its performance but here's my experience:

- Early break in: I had the bike trucked to my house with 2mi on the clock. I rode 25mi with varying throttle position up to nearly WOT. Changed oil at 25mi.
- Currently: have ridden the last 100mi on NoVA commuting route with speeds up to 45mph and significant rolling terrain. First tank of gas: 93mi/1.3gal = 71.5mpg

My second gas tank is on track for 80mpg and an oil change this weekend including the final drive oil.

I weigh about 200lbs at 6' tall, add in a laptop bag (worn messenger style) and a duffelbag bungied to the seat (work clothes, etc.). In my experience this bike can hold 45mph on anything other than very steep climbs. It can run up to 55-60 on flat ground without a headwind.

I haven't run WOT for very long (break in doncha know), but it gets off the line pretty fast, and if you can draft a minivan, you are sitting pretty in suburban conditions.

Brakes are OK, not great. The front disc is less effective than I would like, but the rear drum is pretty useful. This is not unexpected since a scooter puts most of the weight over the rear tire. Just be aware of this and keep your following distance sane.

Lighting is good. If you aren't WOT, the lights will not let you down. You only get one bulb at a time (by default) but that is pretty good lighting for me. Signals are similar to many full sized bikes, so they actually put out some reasonable light.

Wet handling: I rode home in yesterday's crappy weather and did not find that I felt any excessive slip from the tires. I have done my best to to scrub them in over the last week, but there's still some "new tire fur" on there. Definitely keep rider weight well centered when on wet conditions or while cornering hard, the engine makes the front end rise when goosing it.

Storage: Yamaha says 5.2gal of storage, but it seems small to me, and it won't hold my helmet. The helmet hook under the seat won't actually hook my helmet either. Not a big deal for me, but may be for others. I have ordered the rear rack and plan to bolt a milk crate to it so that I can avoid bungies for my duffel and take it to the shops easily.

Over all: I dig it. My big bike is no fun for commuting, despite having hard luggage. The Z125 is zippy under 90% of the conditions that I have put it in. After the next oil change and oil filter cleaning, I won't baby it or avoid longer WOT situations. I will switch to synthetic oil after the 600mi service.

Planned farkling: I do not plan on hot rodding this bike, but I do plan to install a cigar-lighter style power tap so that I can run/charge my GPS or MP3 player. The rear carrier is also an update so that I can move my work clothes off of the seat. If there are easy performance upgrades, like better air filters, etc., I might try it out but more than that: nope.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #74
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,661
I just checked out the Zuma 125 at the dealer and will most likely get one in '09. I have the Zuma 50 and should be able to sell it no problem. If the 125 was out when I got the 50, I would have sprung for the extra $1000 in price without any qualms.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #75
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,838
I've got almost 500 miles on mine. Did the dual headlight mod (it should come that way from the factory ) and chopped off most of that hideous rear fender.

Getting 80+ MPG, does fine on my 50 mile work commute, even on the 50MPH speed limit sections. Pull hills fine and keeps in front of all but the throttle happy drivers.

Pulls about 65+ on the optomistic speedometer (closer to an honest 60 MPH) on flat to slightly inclined ground.

Storage seems smaller than my Zuma 50...but still really handy. The 50 underseat storage is deeper, but you can open the seat with the motor running on the 125 .

Really like it!
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote