User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Raymee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I finally hit a deer...

I’ve been riding for 2 ˝ years and know that it was only a matter of time that I would hit one of these bouncing bastards. I was doing 30-35 mph when a shape suddenly comes into view from the left and slightly ahead of me, absolutely perpendicular to my line of travel. I only remember pulling in the clutch when the front tire hit the deer (a yearling I guess) dead on the hind quarter, the bike (1150 GS) wiggled a bit and leaned to the left as I was saying to myself, “well I guess I’ll find out how well this gear protects me”. The bike straighted itself, thank God, and the impact catapulted the deer onto the shoulder where it slid 10-15 feet with legs flailing and its’ body kicking up all sorts of rocks, dust and debris, a truly impressive transfer of speed and momentum. I pulled over at the nearest turn out to inspect for damage, none whatsoever, the only evidence was green deer
doo
doo
on the crash bars and front engine cover. I debated whether to go back to learn the outcome, (I really hate seeing an animal suffer), but I had to know. Sure enough, there he/she was lying where it came to a rest, motionless and glazed over eyes. I apologized to the deer and thanked the
moto
gods for looking after me.
The question for the collective is: where do I get one of those little deer stickers to put on the bike?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
one place

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=298&page=1
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Same here

I hit one in the hind quarter on a 1200 Bandit. Didn't go down, but it did about 1000 bucks damage to the bike.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 901
I hope you went and bought a lottery ticket right after that. Glad you're A-OK.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
deer gone

raymee,great to hear you survived the impact.theres alot of DEER collisions this time of year in WISCONSIN.luckily nobody has been killed close to where i live YET.in my state one less deer isnt going to matter much to the population.i like what u said about apoligizing to the deer and thanking the gods for youre safety.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymee
I apologized to the deer...
Why? He ran out in front of you! You had the right of way and the deer was in the wrong.

Glad you made it. I did the same thing a few years ago with a full grown doe in Wisconsin. I cheated death that day.

Cheers!

Monty
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer
I hit one in the hind quarter on a 1200 Bandit. Didn't go down, but it did about 1000 bucks damage to the bike.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
nwaneal
Back to offroad!!

Oddometer: 70
That's nothing

My dad has hit a deer and been hit by a deer. He got t-boned by a buck on his GS. One horn went through the gas tank. He didn't go down and tried to ride to his house before he ran out of gas(horn punctured gas tank). He has also hit a cow coming over a hill. Beware when you ride in Arkansas!!
nwaneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Mr Baggins
Stinky Feet

Oddometer: 1,035
Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” -
Mr Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Nice save, and thanks for taking one out of the team. What time of day did you hit it?

Hit (or been hit by) 5 of the dumb f*cks, 3 on motorcycles

Clicky
Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
Raymee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Thanks for the sticker tip ragtoplvr!

Hey Snapper, 4:30 pm, quite a nice line up you got there, good for you to keep riding, it gives me inspiration!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
crazymactech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I hate deer! I think during the rifle season, hunters in counties with excess deer populations should be allowed to shoot both a buck and a doe. Cut down on their breeding! Just my opinion. Here in Michigan they propogate faster than what rabbits supposedly do. I had one jump out in from of me what would be a block from my house, and I live just outside the city limits. To heck with the tears watching the "bambi" movies, shot the leaping bastards. Or increase the natural predatures like wolves and bears to keep nature's balance in check like it was 100 years ago.

Not that I want to hit a wolf on a bike. I came close to that riding in the upper penninsuila of Michigan last year. That was a sphincter tightning experience.
crazymactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymactech
I hate deer! I think during the rifle season, hunters in counties with excess deer populations should be allowed to shoot both a buck and a doe. Cut down on their breeding! Just my opinion.
The only predator of deer in my area are motor vehicles! It's too urban too hunt, yet I've got Wild Kingdom (coyotes, skunks, foxes, rabbits, deer, children ages 3 to 6, etc.) going on outside my door.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
$50 bounty on deer

crazymachtech,i agree with you.there ought to be a $50 bounty on all deer killed anytime during the year.FUK hunting seasons.kill em and eat em.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #15
w00dy
Woody is my dog! Really!

Oddometer: 93
Welcome to the club

I too hit a deer... again in April here in NorCal. Stayed up both times but this time fractured a small bone in my r. hand. The bike had ~ 1000 miles on it and still has ~ 1000 miles on it. One more week the doc says!

I took the advice of another deer hunter and installed an electronic deer whistle. Not the ones that require you ride >45mph because that doesn't help. Check this out:
http://www.xp3hornet.com/
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-16800.html
I don't know if it works yet... but how can I not take the offensive position when I've escaped serious injury 2ce. For the $80, it's cheaper than $1000 repair bills each time.
Attached Images

w00dy screwed with this post 05-28-2008 at 04:33 PM
w00dy is offline   Reply With Quote