User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Thirsty Horse OP
Adventurer & Writer

Oddometer: 10
Wicked Ural ultimate reliability mod

This is the ultimate reliability mod for Urals - old Urals , anyway. The new ones may be perfect. I've never ridden one. But for old M67s it's this: just take out the Ural engine and replace it with a BMW airhead of appropriate age. I have 2 running now and a video to prove it. Go to You Tube and search "Thirsty Horse Mongolia BMW Urals."

That said, I haven't given up on my old M67 Urals. I just got (expensively) side-tracked into this. The next video will feature standard spec M67 Urals and I also have a 2wd Dneipr in the workshop. Summer is warming the open steppe and there's some good riding to be done out here in Mongolia: "Wind in your hair, falcon on your arm, purr of a flat twin engine beneath you." Or as Ural defenders are want to say, "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of there techies." Yeah, that was it. Good luck to all. Ride with courage and ride well.
Thirsty Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I have a R90 in my Ural.
The engine is reliable. The rest of the bike is a Ural.
BWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,283
Here it is--

DRONE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,014
Is this Conrad Dobler posting? Instigator!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
vege
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
just had an R 80 , early 80's model put into my 2006 gear up and what a difference... more torque and less revs at 60 mph.. still have reverse and 2 wd, its awesome
Old 05-15-2014, 04:15 AM   #6
cadaVre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Does the ural gear-box fit to an R80-Engine without having to change anything?
cadaVre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Thirsty Horse OP
Adventurer & Writer

BMW R80 to Ural Gearbox: details

No - it doesn't fit straight on. Just to recall, the Ural gearbox in question is an M67 650cc from about 1990 and I don't have any experience with the current 750 in production model, if that's where you are headed.

For the old gear box you need to change the position of the engine connection bolt holes, which requires first to build up the flanges on the gearbox casing. This can best be done with an AC TIG welder, but it's not an easy job. The other problem is that the Ural frame blocks the oil filter on the BM motor. So if you want to be able to change the oil filter without removing the engine first, you need to make a removable section for the frame. Other than that, the BM motor fits easily with just a little widening of the frame.

I'll do another video sometime this summer showing the construction.

For the new Urals, I would think that the problems would be similar. but that's just my guess.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
vege
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Two Cats Garage in Raumati Beach , NZ did the conversion, and adapter plate had to be made to allow the ural gear box to be used so kept reverse and 2 wd . Hes done a few of them now..
Old 05-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,622
They have been performing BMW engine transplants to Changs for a while now. (Below) one example:

LINK 1600 x 1200 pixel image

Chang Jiang 750 Sidecar

Quote:
Never realized that an oil change could be such a challenge. The BMW engine fitted to a Chang frame, although a match - it does make for a maintenance nightmare.
Sidecar removed along with the footpegs, followed by both exhaust headers. Front engine bolts removed, back bolts loosened. Entire bike raised, then the engine is lowered four inches with a tire jack to gain access to the filter cover. Oil is then drained by rocking back and forth. Reverse the assembly process, hoping that left over parts are not discovered. Start to finish - about a one hour job, by a tech that has done it a hundred times.
Lucky that it only has to be done every 10,000 Kilometers.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
Thirsty Horse OP
Adventurer & Writer

Cool2 Beijing BMWE/Changs

True. I know Jim at Jimbo's Classic Bikes in Beijing well. He's just down the road from us - across the Gobi Desert, so it's easy to visit. He's the guy who talked me into doing the engine swap in the first place. He has some beautiful examples, while we are a lot newer to the game (and need get our finishings up to scratch - sh! Don't let anyone know).

By the way, as you bring up the subject, doing a bike run from Beijing to Ulaan Baatar is one of my plans. It's half the price to fly into Beijing than UB, and I know some Chang shops in Jing who could provide Changs up to the border, then change to Urals on the other side. Personally I rather prefer the idea of a shared mix of Sidecars and DR650s (say 50/50 swapping for each rider) with all the extra 90+ octane for the DRs riding in the sidecar. Alternatively, as there is a problem with driver's licenses in China, which there isn't in Mongolia, you could fly in to Beijing for a visit to the Temple of Heaven and a crispy scorpion. Then take the train or sleeper bus to the Chinese border and arrange for the bikes to meet you on the Mongolian side. Then cut across the steppe to Dalantzadgad for the best of the Gobi and head north across the Mongolian Plateau for a party in UB.

Just talking. But it's nice to talk. Any feedback would be welcome.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #11
cadaVre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by vege View Post
Two Cats Garage in Raumati Beach , NZ did the conversion, and adapter plate had to be made to allow the ural gear box to be used so kept reverse and 2 wd . Hes done a few of them now..

The little engineer inside me likes to see that adapterplate. You would not have a picture of that build, would u?
cadaVre is offline   Reply With Quote