V-Strom 650 5 71.43%
Versys 650 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
raj914 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Question V Strom or Versys?

Im planning on getting an adventure bike and these are bikes that I am considering though wanted a KTM but its just way to expensive here. Your comments are highly appreciated and I would like to thank you in advance.

Ride Safe.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Might have better chance in the Beasts section as we are all single cylinder guys here.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
raj914 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
Might have better chance in the Beasts section as we are all single cylinder guys here.
Ooops.. I am sorry. Hopefully a mod can move this instead. I apologize for the inconvenience mod.

Forgot to mention some details. I stand 5'7" and weigh 145lbs if that would matter.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
JoeB
Husky Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Neither the Versys nor the Strom are really duel sport bikes. You can ride any bike in the dirt, but that don't make it a dirt bike, same with on the road. I had a Versys and it is a good bike, 120 mph, but it is certainly not a duel sport bike. It is more super moto than duel sport. I traded my Versys in on a Husqvarna TR650 Terra, which is more of a duel purpose bike like the Kawasaki KLR 650, it just has more power than the KLR. If you really want a duel sport, then look for a different bike than either the Strom or the Versys. The Strom is a good hwy bike, but not really made for off road, though many take them off road, but you could take a Harley off road too. For off road I would rather have the Terra than the Versys. The Terra is a great bike, just ask any body that has one. No one really makes the perfect duel sport bike, one that is light and has good suspension, and engine capable of cruising at 80 to 90 mph. The Terra will do all of it but it isn't light.
My advise to you is really think about what you want to do with your bike, trails, adventure riding, jeep trails, hwy, etc. Then pick a bike that will do the things you want to do.
2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra.
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 AM   #5
raj914 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB View Post
Neither the Versys nor the Strom are really duel sport bikes. You can ride any bike in the dirt, but that don't make it a dirt bike, same with on the road. I had a Versys and it is a good bike, 120 mph, but it is certainly not a duel sport bike. It is more super moto than duel sport. I traded my Versys in on a Husqvarna TR650 Terra, which is more of a duel purpose bike like the Kawasaki KLR 650, it just has more power than the KLR. If you really want a duel sport, then look for a different bike than either the Strom or the Versys. The Strom is a good hwy bike, but not really made for off road, though many take them off road, but you could take a Harley off road too. For off road I would rather have the Terra than the Versys. The Terra is a great bike, just ask any body that has one. No one really makes the perfect duel sport bike, one that is light and has good suspension, and engine capable of cruising at 80 to 90 mph. The Terra will do all of it but it isn't light.
My advise to you is really think about what you want to do with your bike, trails, adventure riding, jeep trails, hwy, etc. Then pick a bike that will do the things you want to do.
Thanks JoeB for your input. Husky in manila doesnt come cheap and very few models to choose from.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
I own a 2012 V-Strom 650 Adventure. When I was bike shopping, I considered the Versys as well. I opted for the V-Strom because it had a larger diameter front wheel, and a proven motor that most people rave about.
Now that I have owned it for a year, I know why people buy the Versys. The V-Strom is a very capable bike, but it is kind of boring and bland. The Versys seems to be a bit more exciting, with sharper handling due to its smaller front wheel, and more snappy power delivery.
In all honesty, you cannot go wrong with either bike, but neither one is much for off-road work.

So, if you want comfort, range, reliability, and utility, get the V-Strom.
If you want *excitement*, get the Versys (The Versys will snap up a wheelie much easier than the DL)

Other notes: The seat on the DL-650 looks nice, but it really is not very comfortable. The seat is tipped forward in both the riders and the passengers area.The DL has a long wheel base that makes it very stable, but also limits its wheelie-ability. The suspension is only "OK". The rear shock in particular seems to have a lot of "sticktion" and does not move very freely. Many folks have issues with buffetting, and opt for an aftermarket wind screen. The Givi AirFlow 3101 screen is very popular.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Any two-up planned? How much dirt? I have a 650 strom now, and miss my klr. The strom isn't a dual sport by any means. You can fight it down easy trails, but beyond that it sucks. Smoother on the road than a klr though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
mjs3800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
As much as I want to go Strom the whole charging issue has me stalling and now looking at the Versys. I have a 05 Triumph Tiger and they are known for stator\ rectifier issues and I really don't want another bike that has that dilemma going for it. Google 'vstrom charging issues' and you will get pages of hits. I don't get it... why some bikes and not others. Not much difference in a Oil bath.
mjs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs3800 View Post

.................................................. ..
Google 'vstrom charging issues' and you will get pages of hits. I don't get it... why some bikes and not others. Not much difference in a Oil bath.
That does seem to be a V-Strom "issue" and maybe a Suzuki product wide issue. I had an 05 Wee Strom and it was made just about perfectly with no visible manufacturing defects. Then I bought an 07 Vee Strom and even though it was made outside of the alleged problem date, it had all of the classic Vee problems. Idle hammer, chudder, etc. My buddy was impressed with my Vee and went out a month later and bought his own 07 from the same dealer. His bike had none of the problems. The only minor issue was the fueling, which was easily fixed with the Yosh box treatment.

From what I'm reading some of the newest Vee's still have those original issues, and some do not.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,409
Compare the selection of "adventure" tires available for both bikes - that should answer your question.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
mjs3800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
That does seem to be a V-Strom "issue" and maybe a Suzuki product wide issue. I had an 05 Wee Strom and it was made just about perfectly with no visible manufacturing defects. Then I bought an 07 Vee Strom and even though it was made outside of the alleged problem date, it had all of the classic Vee problems. Idle hammer, chudder, etc. My buddy was impressed with my Vee and went out a month later and bought his own 07 from the same dealer. His bike had none of the problems. The only minor issue was the fueling, which was easily fixed with the Yosh box treatment.

From what I'm reading some of the newest Vee's still have those original issues, and some do not.
Did a quick look to see if the SV650 had issues and it seems they have some charging issues. My 01 Triumph Bonnie does not, my buddies 99 Buell does not but his 07 Speed Triple already did and my 05 Tiger has me wondering 'when'. I don't know what the fix or if there is a fix on Wee as there are so many unfounded theories as why out there. I don't hear of charging issues on the Versys.
mjs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote