User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Slanter OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Newbie looking for advice

Hey all Slanter here from ontario, Canada. So I know next to nothing about dirtbikes/motorcycles never owned one. I'd like to get something I can enjoy both on the street or in the trails. I'm a pretty big guy 6'1 250+ pounds. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated thanks for your time all.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 1,045
Welcome to the asylum. Take a safety course, if they exist in Canada. Buy good gear, a beater bike (used DRZ would be my rec), and learn some skills. Once you're comfortable, you can start shopping for something that suits you better, if necessary.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Fortunate Son
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
n00b advice

First, take a motorcycle safety course.

Then spend 30 % of your bike budget on good armored safety gear.

Then ride dirt more than pavement to learn. Find a local dual sport rider(s) and talk to them.

Read threads in here like Face Plant and Duh! And Things you wish someone told you first.

I don't know why the font size is goofy. Hope it reads OK.

HI-VIZ, wear it like it works, but ride like it doesn't
Fortunate Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,018
Don't read faceplant.
I've ridden for a very long time and a lot of miles and faceplant still gives me the shivers. A new rider might not be a rider if he/she reads the things inmates do to themselves... myself included.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,139
Advice:
Spend less than you were planning on your first bike.
Spend more than you were planning on gear.

If you're looking to learn to ride off-road (which is an excellent idea) then try this test when looking at bikes. Do 30 push ups, lay the bike down (gently) in the grass. Then stand it back up. Repeat this process five times.
If you are too tired to pull out your wallet then don't buy that bike.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 AM   #6
Slanter OP
n00b

Sound advice on the used bike and safety gear/course. I looked at some drz as suggested I guess the 400 is where I would want to be? Or should I be looking for lower cc?
Old 04-30-2015, 04:41 AM   #7
PepperDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Basically, something around 400cc or less is better suited for the dirt, is light enough to pick back up, but on a highway will feel small and a bit out of its depth. Some of the smaller bikes have 6 spd transmissions so the engine won’t be too wound up at higher pavement speeds.

Something bigger (650cc) will be better on the street, but more unwieldy off road. If you’re not going to get into tighter tougher trails the bigger bike might be better. Depends on where you’ll be riding - 50/50 dirt/pavement? 30/70 dirt/pavement? or the other way around?
Since you have no experience it is probably easier to learn on a smaller displacement bike and then get something bigger (if that's what you want at that point).

Sounds like you are a big enough guy not to be bothered by the taller seat height, and you’d have an easier time picking up a bike than I would.
What everyone else is saying is true - get decent gear to protect yourself. Sooner or later you will scratch and drop the bike, so buy something affordable to learn and then move on to the next ride.

Starchamp suggested a used drz400. The model that came before the drz is the dr350. They are old now, but simple and reliable. I wouldn’t go out of your way to find one, but if one comes up for sale cheap near you it could be another good option to start with. Plenty of other choices though.

PepperDog screwed with this post 04-30-2015 at 05:14 AM
PepperDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Slanter OP
n00b

Thanks for the insight. Think I'll be aiming for something better suited to dirt. Once the cuts and bruises are out of the way ill look to upgrade.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
Thanks for the insight. Think I'll be aiming for something better suited to dirt. Once the cuts and bruises are out of the way ill look to upgrade.
Yeah, that's how I got started as well
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
Quote:
You must realize the first bike you buy won't be the last. Get a small one. You will learn quicker, better, and more safely.

I'd suggest a 250 for a big guy like you, unless you MUST ride on multilane highways with 70+ mph traffic flow right away. Really not a good plan for a newby anyway.

Get the skills down then decide what you want. Guys who learn on big bikes first are rarely all that skillful.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #11
Slanter OP
n00b

Not in a rush to hit the highways just want to be able to ride to the trails legally. Any paticular make you would suggest in the 250 range?
Old 05-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Slanter OP
n00b

Looking at this bike, what do yous think good deal? (this is canadian dollars)
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-mo...ationFlag=true
Old 05-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
zedro
Lukewarm Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Looking at this bike, what do yous think good deal? (this is canadian dollars)
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-mo...ationFlag=true
Too high IMO, but I've been looking for a 400 for my buddy in eastern Ontario and the pricing is a bit high all around. I wouldn't spend more than 4k on that, but even then it shouldn't be worth that much. The bike market is slim up here unfortunately.

What ever you do, ask the seller when was the last time they serviced their bearings, and checked the valves, that'll tell you a lot bout them.
zedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #14
Slanter OP
n00b

What would be a good answer for those questions? Also thanks for the ammunition.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #15
zedro
Lukewarm Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
What would be a good answer for those questions? Also thanks for the ammunition.
Any answer that doesn't seem like BS. And saying it doesn't need it is BS. Of course air filter and oil is also a common point, but people expect that question.
zedro is offline   Reply With Quote