Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #376
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
yeah but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
You need to have over 7500 miles on the odometer otherwise it's not getting licensed in Cali, been through this a half dozen times.
its hell to search for these types of threads, and i have another one regarding the MSO business, BUT DAMN IT I WANT THE BIKE.

sorry to yell, its not for you. I was thinking that KTM, being a smaller mfg. might not bother making a 49-state emissions model and a 50-state emissions model just for Cali. I would think they would just stick the other 49 less enlightened states ( ) with the decreased performance...

So anyone have a scoop? If they make one model, then it is 50-state, and cali should be fine. just pay the duty and voila!

of course there could be a "fuck you clause" in the DMV code... is that what you are hinting at boejangles???

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:30 AM   #377
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe
Here you go:

Frontpart of the exhaust

Nice dreams
Thanks a lot Happe that's just what I wanted.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #378
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
Hey Happe,

Nice LH/RH headlight mod! It looks like the mask is derivative of the pre-2001 Adventure, but one piece, and trimmed back to allow more airflow to the oilcooler (?) on upper right.

Any idea as to the spring rate in the front forks?

I like your bike.

Go the Blue/Orange crew!

Paolo
Hi Paolo,

the rate of the front spring is 5.0
the spring in the rear is an 80/260
It is going like a dream in rough terrain
The Mask is the original one. Rally 660. It is from fibre glass and leight as a feather.
But not really good for a jerk like me. I allready damaged it this weekend in Wales
BTW. the '98 Rally has no oilcooler.

But it was fun!
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:17 PM   #379
GT-STMC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Seriously thinking of buying a KTM640 Adventure down here in a US / Mexican border town. But it'll be used 70% for commuting (2 lane farm roads). What kind of mileage can I expect at 70mph and 260lb total load?
GT-STMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 03:18 PM   #380
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-STMC
Seriously thinking of buying a KTM640 Adventure down here in a US / Mexican border town. But it'll be used 70% for commuting (2 lane farm roads). What kind of mileage can I expect at 70mph and 260lb total load?
40ish, maybe 50 if you don't change the stock (lean) jetting or add block-shaped panniers. Gearing plays into it, too. I am geared on the high end (17-40), and this suits the highway and double-track just fine. 17-42 or 44 might be better for singletrack, but it is nice to have the ability to cruise at 85@ 6000 rpm.

Good luck! FWIW, there was a new 2002 on the floor at the dealer in Harlingen this Spring. I bet they'd deal on it if they still have it.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #381
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe
Hi Paolo,

the rate of the front spring is 5.0
the spring in the rear is an 80/260
It is going like a dream in rough terrain
The Mask is the original one. Rally 660. It is from fibre glass and leight as a feather.
But not really good for a jerk like me. I allready damaged it this weekend in Wales
BTW. the '98 Rally has no oilcooler.

But it was fun!
Thanks, Happe! I ought to splash a mold off mine before I destroy it and make them from carbon! (At least the outer layer )

Paolo
Old 05-30-2004, 08:48 PM   #382
GT-STMC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Thanks,
Quote:
Good luck! FWIW, there was a new 2002 on the floor at the dealer in Harlingen this Spring. I bet they'd deal on it if they still have it
I was looking at the bike in Harlingen, Silver & Orange...., where do I find the model year on the bike ?
GT-STMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:35 AM   #383
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-STMC
Thanks,
I was looking at the bike in Harlingen, Silver & Orange...., where do I find the model year on the bike ?
Someone else may help you with serial numbers and the like, but basically, '97-'01 have the red & white IMO (trip computer/speedo/clock,etc) that is made by Touratech. '02-on have the KTM trip/speedo/temp/fuel gauge that is a smaller rectangle and is orange to match the tach. That is the easiest way to distinguish '01 & '02, since they both have silver/orange color schemes; '03 are silver/black, and have bigger valves in the head, a wider seat, and a few other changes I may have left out. Oh yeah, '01 & '02 have black anodizing on the motor; earlier & later years have a grey/brown anodization on the engine parts. I like the IMO on my '99 (blue/orange, as are '00) but I would be tempted by an '02 the dealer has been sitting on for so long, especially as '04's aren't available in NA, and there seems to be increased demand of late. Hopefully they haven't heard that in the Valley! Deal hard, and see what happens. I suspect some of the folks who are jumping on these bikes off GS's will miss the smoothness, and there may be a mini-glut in a year or so. We'll see

Here is a pic of an '01, but instrumentation is the same '97-'01 Here is an '02/'03/etc...

and, lastly an '03 color scheme. Thanks to all whose photos I pilfered!

rapiti screwed with this post 05-31-2004 at 06:43 AM
rapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:07 PM   #384
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom

Oddometer: 15,415

(Okay...so, I don't own it. But, huge thanks to BlownCJ for letting me borrow his baby so I could get home, seeing as Mutley is broken. )
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:37 PM   #385
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,344
Cool2 LC4 Adv With 17" front wheel.

It is finally a pure commuter machine.
No more fear of breaking front spokes, heavy duty Buchanon spokes, 17" Excel front rim... this baby can do stoppies all the time..
Now if only I can calibrate the speedo to the 17" front wheel.
Ms. Linzi.. you shouldn't have trouble standing over this machine with both feet touching the ground.
Attached Images

Cat0020 screwed with this post 05-31-2004 at 07:06 PM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:52 PM   #386
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,344
Question

Can anyone help with re-setting the speedometer on the LC4 Adv. from 21" wheel to 17" wheel?
Attached Images

Cat0020 screwed with this post 05-31-2004 at 07:07 PM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:07 PM   #387
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom

Oddometer: 15,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Can anyone help with re-setting the speedometer on the LC4 Adv. from 21" wheel to 17" wheel?
Yes. Ship to:

Miss Linzi
640 Ilikyerbik Lane
Gainesville, FL

I'll fix it right up and return it, umm, as soon as possible.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:40 PM   #388
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot Jockey
The tank guards are a new product from Hepco Becker in Germany, the same company that is making those freebie Tupperware panniers for the LC8. The guards were a PITA to install, and required some modification and tweaking, but I am happy with them now. As you can see by this shot, they do an excellent job of guarding the fuel petcock.
Scoot Jockey, if it's not too much trouble, please fire up a new thread in Thumpers specific to these tank guards, pics & info included. The subject's come up a zillion times before and these look fairly beefy.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2004, 08:53 PM   #389
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Go to trip "F". Hold "Mode" and "Set" until the display changes to "WS", where it will allow you to set whatever you want. This works for all the 02's and up, including the 950's, which share the same IMO>
Old 06-01-2004, 08:27 PM   #390
Limey-
Katoom jockey

Oddometer: 65
Just bought 98 Adventure last week
Attached Images

Limey- is offline   Reply With Quote