Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #4651
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekventure
No...it's just the question underlined.

Thanks...I have read that link, but I'm still not sure...
Our (early 640's) bikes have not got the dual ignition curve mapping built into the CDI.

If we buy the other CDI module, part no 584.39.031.300, then we are able to switch high/low octane modes by connecting or disconnecting the red loop wire (switch on the dash would be better).

It should be a straight swap over process from what I can gather.

Ive looked up the price list and its a $311 part.

Hope this helps?
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #4652
Geekventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Thumb CDI low octane loop?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #4653
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,944
2006-07 Ktm 640 Adventure Enduro Cdi Igniter Unit

This could be your lucky day....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #4654
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman

What a bummer, I wish it was

Thanks, but thats a late model with different harness.
The one Im looking for is about a 2000 model but a different version of my existing one.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #4655
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,944
there is a 2nd unit listed. It says wiring harness and has a bunch of extras listed. Not sure if they are part of the deal or listed as fits...

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #4656
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,771
Lets go to the reasons why they changed to a switchable CDI in 03.

In 03 the engine received the new hi flo head which put into play bigger valves for more flow.... They also went to a thinner base gasket which likely bumped compression up a little giving the engine a higher chance for detonation over the 02 and older engines....
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #4657
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck

In 03 the engine received the new hi flo head which put into play bigger valves for more flow.... They also went to a thinner base gasket which likely bumped compression up a little giving the engine a higher chance for detonation over the 02 and older engines....
So are you saying that its not necessary in the early "Low Flow" head models?
Why then is there an alternative CDI for low octane on early models available?

The change could well be a perceived need and an improvement on something that was lacking on earlier models?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #4658
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana
So are you saying that its not necessary in the early "Low Flow" head models?
Why then is there an alternative CDI for low octane on early models available?

The change could well be a perceived need and an improvement on something that was lacking on earlier models?
For round the world travel the switchable ignition is a very good idea on all LC 4 engines regardless of year... In some 3rd world countries the fuel quality is so poor that without the switch you'll cook the motor in short order....

If that type of travel is in your plans indeed aquire a switchable CDI...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #4659
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:

Here's a link to some CR info on the 03 -5 engines

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471646
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #4660
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:

May I disagree with this?

The old paper gasket was 0,7 mm thick, the new metal gasket is 0,5mm with a niche around.....when tightening the cylinder you squash the paper gasket...also you do the same with the "niche" on the metal gasket......so my opinon is that there's no significant difference in compression due to different material base gasket.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #4661
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,767
I don't know the '03 engine by experience but I can tell you that in Mongolia I ran the lowest octane Russian fuel in my '02, someone said the Russian gas was 70 octane but the numbers are useless without confirmation, anyway the bike ran fine, just a little ping at wide open throttle. Probably I rode 1K miles in the Gobi desert on this stuff. This was the worst gas I have found so far for power.

I had the switchable ignition box for all this but never used it. I just listened to the bike and stayed off WFO throttle, heck it was hardly possible to run hard in Mongolia given the rough tracks.

I blew the head gasket 300 miles south of Ulan Bator and had the bike trucked to the capitol, with the head off it was possible to examine the cylinder and piston as well as the head. Honestly they were fine. At this point I was about 7K miles from my home in Wisconsin.

The head gasket failure had nothing to do with the gas, the head came loose from vibration.
I think I did the whole trip to that point on regular fuel and after replacing the head gasket I continued across Russia, through the east bloc to the KTM factory in Mattighofen and then to Germany on regular. The factory serviced the bike in Austria and gave it the thumbs up. From Germany the machine was shipped to Nova Scotia and my son rode it to Wisconsin on regular gas. I have run it two more years since on the ATV trails in Wisconsin on regular gas. It runs cleanly from 1600 rpm to redline in all gears without a miss or a ping. The jetting is stock, snorkle removed, KTM Competition exhaust, needle raised one notch.

(I have also ridden in North, Central and South America on my BMW Airhead and my KTM. Both machines call for high octane but I always run reglar. In S. America I ran the BMW above 14Kft elevation on regular gas. My KTM has been across the Rockies several times with no issues and was run hard in the Alps on regular( way above the treeline).)

Here it is this fall on the trail. Regular gas in the tank...
That's a pretty blue on the pipe.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 02-07-2010 at 02:20 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #4662
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana
switch on the dash would be better
Maybe not, IIRC there are reports of igniter boxes being fried by switching with the engine running (not sure if it was this bike or not). It's probably better to mount the switch behind a sidecover, or under the seat, or somewhere else accessible fairly swiftly but where it won't get bumped at an inopportune time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:00 AM   #4663
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawggg
Where could all that fine silver metal come from then?? Any suggestions?
Starter clutch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #4664
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
I don't know the '03 engine by experience but I can tell you that in Mongolia I ran the lowest octane Russian fuel, someone said it was 70 octane but the numbers are useless without confirmation, anyway the bike ran fine, just a little ping at wide open throttle. Probably I rode 1K miles in the Gobi desert on this stuff.

I had the switchable ignition box but never used it. I just listened to the bike and stayed off WFO throttle, heck it was hardly possible anyway given the tracks.

I blew the head gasket 300 miles south of Ulan Bator and had the bike trucked to the capitol, with the head off it was possible to examine the cylinder and piston as well as the head. Honestly they were fine. At this point I was about 7K miles from my home in Wisconsin. I think I did the whole trip to that point on regular and after replacing the head gasket I continued across Russia, through the east bloc to the KTM factory in Mattighofen and then to Germany. The factory serviced the bike and gave it the thumbs up. From Germany the machine was shipped to Nova Scotia and my son rode it to Wisconsin on regular gas. I have run it two more years since on the ATV trails in Wisconsin on regular gas. It runs cleanly from 1600 rpm to redline in all gears without a miss or a ping. The jetting is stock, snorkle removed, KTM Competition exhaust, needle raised one notch.

Here it is this fall on the trail. Regular gas in the tank...
bill

Well you know what Bill?

Thats good enough for me and since my bike is identical to yours I think Ill just save myself the grief and just leave it alone and it will be fine.

Thanks

BTW, have you reinforced your subframe? And I know its a dumb question but is the Renazco been worth it?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #4665
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
Maybe not, IIRC there are reports of igniter boxes being fried by switching with the engine running (not sure if it was this bike or not). It's probably better to mount the switch behind a sidecover, or under the seat, or somewhere else accessible fairly swiftly but where it won't get bumped at an inopportune time.

Good point and good idea