Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #4921
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 763
Looks good Brian, and those numbers don't seem too bad. Once T-odd brings home that Husky your 640 won't seem so loud!

C.
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #4922
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,267
nice! I would really like to make my akro quieter too, thanks for putting that up for us
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #4923
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
nice! I would really like to make my akro quieter too, thanks for putting that up for us
Do you not have the Akrapovic insert in, or are you running unrestricted? I've always kept mine in, as it is too obnoxious with it out. The FMF insert replaces it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad M
Looks good Brian, and those numbers don't seem too bad. Once T-odd brings home that Husky your 640 won't seem so loud!

C.
Those numbers were in my crappy garage with only the side door open, and the iphone on the bench, about 5 feet away. I don't think think odd-Tay is ready to see his name in type. He hasn't even bookmarked this site yet.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #4924
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,267
I don't know that there ever was an insert? I ordered the pipe from a dealer in Indiana a couple of years ago. It's definitely loud. I'll look more closely when I'm back at it.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #4925
soloist666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
My new (used) 640 adv.

Picked my '07 640 adv last Friday, and have already put about 500 k's on it. It has only done about 4000 k's in total and without going thru this entire thread for the answers was wondering if someone can help with 3 questions I have? 1. I used the lights last night and found that they are absolutely abysmal, I left it on low beam as that seemed better than high beam. Is this a simple fix with different globes, or is something else needed. 2. I had it back at the dealers yesterday after I found that it was leaking rapidly from the overflow tube from the carby at idle, it was all pulled apart and cleaned. The mechanic pointed out a bit of fine grit on the needle etc, that could have caused the needle to not seat properly. They have also ordered a new needle as it is rubber tipped and scoring may have occurred on the tip of the needle. This will be fitted on Wednesday as the the leak is nowhere near as bad, but it will still let go a few drops when left sitting with the fuel tap on. Anyone else had this problem? 3. Mufflers. My bike is bog standard & I will be fitting a muffler in due course. Any suggestions on preference such as Staintune, Akropovic, or the KTM SXC muffler. On this point I have also heard that the muffler, re jetting & opening the air box actually softens the vibes? Anyway, other than those points I am really happy with bike & look forward to getting lost on it. Thanks for any responses in advance.
soloist666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #4926
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
For lights, go for HIDs.
And connect lights so low beam stays on with high beam.
Its easy one wire installation, maybe with switch.

Is float level checket to be ok?
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #4927
Reset1
640-24-7

Oddometer: 72
loooooong distance traveling

can anyone tell me what to look out for before i go on my 1600km trip with my '05 6fotty?? and if there is anything specific that i sould check wilst traveling exept oil and fuel!! the 6fotty is now tikking over 43050km's and was serviced by KTM on 40990km's.. i am planing to drive down to the coast in one day , thats 760km i wanna do in one day..

there is only one kind of adventure, the lc4 kind!!
Reset1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #4928
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reset1
can anyone tell me what to look out for before i go on my 1600km trip with my '05 6fotty?? and if there is anything specific that i sould check wilst traveling exept oil and fuel!! the 6fotty is now tikking over 43050km's and was serviced by KTM on 40990km's.. i am planing to drive down to the coast in one day , thats 760km i wanna do in one day..
when I did a 6000k trip on mine I checked my oil level at the end of the day, sprayed some wd40(lubricant) on the gear shift and all the levers. I checked my rocker cover exhaust port where it used to leak to make sure it hasn't got worse. CHECK your counter sprocket nut and even better carry a spare, I had mine fall off about 40km away from any civilization in tough tracks and luckily my chain stayed on. Check your coolant every now and then when it's cold.. Also once I was checking for oil leaks and noticed my fuel hose was bad and needed replacement before it went out in the bush.. Make sure all nuts and bolts are tightened so nothing falls off with all the vibration. my 2cents
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #4929
Reset1
640-24-7

sad day

thx grey dawgg, dut unfortunatley i just heard a very scary funny eninge noise, that gets worse higher the rev.. just notesed it this afternoon.
Back to KTM to check it out.... just the sound of it sounds expencive.... good bye life long dream....
you know the funy thing is when i took my bike to KTM for service they asked me is there anything in particular to check, i said 'oh yes plz check the engines guts, something sounds funny to me' . KTM took the liberty of tearing her down and assembleing it, and then tell me nothing wrong, all good.....

Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #4930
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 464
Ah sorry mate that sucks and I know how you feel.. I just spent big bucks on mine only to find out I need to be spend more because the problem isn't solved so I'm pulling the engine out to sort it out properly.. This bike has taught me patience!

You are likely to get more help from a helpful inmate on here solving your problem than through a dealer and you then learn how your bike works and you'll save cash!

Can you describe in a little more detail what sort of noise the engine makes? Is it vibrating more than normal? engine normally is noisy but I usually notice less of the engine noise with higher revs..

Hope it works out!
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #4931
Reset1
640-24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawggg
Ah sorry mate that sucks and I know how you feel.. I just spent big bucks on mine only to find out I need to be spend more because the problem isn't solved so I'm pulling the engine out to sort it out properly.. This bike has taught me patience!

You are likely to get more help from a helpful inmate on here solving your problem than through a dealer and you then learn how your bike works and you'll save cash!

Can you describe in a little more detail what sort of noise the engine makes? Is it vibrating more than normal? engine normally is noisy but I usually notice less of the engine noise with higher revs..

Hope it works out!
the noise she makes is a kinda grindin roling noise that gets louder the higher i rev, defnatly comin from the engine, evin the tone from the exaust is slightly diffrent, but she still pulls okay, no shuttering or power los etc ... want to open her myself but have way to little knowlage, or tools..

Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #4932
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Any idea from what part of engine sound is coming?
Engine stethoscopes are cheap...
Try listen with stick, screwdriver or tube.

Any change on sound if engine is on idle or on gear?
Any change on valve clearances or clutch feel?
Cam chain tensioner, is it installed right?

If front sprocket is removed, and gear on neutral, transmission should spin freely and without any rough spots or sounds.

E-Starter intermediate gear is easy to remove and allows some inspection to how freewheel works.
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #4933
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reset1
thx grey dawgg, dut unfortunatley i just heard a very scary funny eninge noise, that gets worse higher the rev.. just notesed it this afternoon.
Damn! One of the common things to wear out on an LC4, & often around the km's yours has done, is the inlet cam follower roller bearing. If you catch it before it damages the cam it is a fairly cheap & easy fix. It's easy to diagnose as the valve clearances will open up. Good luck & please post up here once you know what the problem was, those of us with higher miles LC4's are always keen to know what might wear out.

If you are planning to travel far on any bike it's a good idea to learn how to do at least a basic service yourself. Luckily for you there are some excellent tutorials written specially for the LC4 - have a look in the Index There are no special tools required.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #4934
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 769
And if you don't catch it in time, you can destroy the cam and follower in less than 1000 kms (about 600miles).

Don't ask me how I know.

I had it on my list of things to do and didn't get around to it before the ride. Good thing is, the bike got me home! Don't forget, loud rattly motors save lives!!

A $50 job is now $500.

David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
Damn! One of the common things to wear out on an LC4, & often around the km's yours has done, is the inlet cam follower roller bearing. If you catch it before it damages the cam it is a fairly cheap & easy fix. It's easy to diagnose as the valve clearances will open up. Good luck & please post up here once you know what the problem was, those of us with higher miles LC4's are always keen to know what might wear out.

If you are planning to travel far on any bike it's a good idea to learn how to do at least a basic service yourself. Luckily for you there are some excellent tutorials written specially for the LC4 - have a look in the Index There are no special tools required.

Cheers
Clint

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #4935
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson
And if you don't catch it in time, you can destroy the cam and follower in less than 1000 kms (about 600miles).

Don't ask me how I know.
Bummer. Unlike the exhaust side the inlet valve cover is really easy to get to once the seat & tank are off so it's only a few minutes job to check the clearances if something doesn't sound right. I replaced all the bearings in the head at 50k km, hopefully the 2nd set will last to 100k but I have new spares in stock if they don't.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote