Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #5251
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitron
Any recommendations for a new rear tire for the street?
Doesnt need any offroad capabilities since i got an extra pair for that.
The Bridgestone BT45 that was on there until now is really nice, but wore out in little more than 3000km according to the previous owner.
Here's a search engine for the major makes and here's an old thread! Conti Trail Attack looks the business for street.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #5252
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
ATV bars on a ADV?

I am looking at new set of bars. Currently have a set of Protapers the previous owner had cut down narrow and they are low bend (CR?). So I was thinking a new set with more rise was in order. While shopping around I came across a set of ATV Protapers that have at least a inch more rise. This seems to do away with the need for riser mounts. Of course if I just needed more rise it would be finacially better to just get riser mounts. This also seems lke it would give more clearance around the fairing at full tilt. Anyone ever tried this?
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #5253
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
I thought about that also at one time but have yet to do anything about it. Just make sure your cables and hoses are long enough at full lock.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #5254
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,902
I've got the Protaper Pastrana FMX ATV bars, and because of the bend, the cables are fine. It took a ride or two to get used to the sweep, but I like them, and they improved my reach when standing. The stock bars bend down at he ends. Didn't like them at all.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #5255
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
It's contagious...

Approximately 1 year ago when I started my first season with my 640 Adventure, I didn't personally know anyone "in my neighborhood" who rode an LC4.

Now, it seems that things have changed a bit. These three bikes spend their nights in the same garage. Represented are '98, '07 and '03 models.

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #5256
deepfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta
Approximately 1 year ago when I started my first season with my 640 Adventure, I didn't personally know anyone "in my neighborhood" who rode an LC4.

Now, it seems that things have changed a bit. These three bikes spend their nights in the same garage. Represented are '98, '07 and '03 models.

Cheers,

Tseta
Yeah, it seems that LC4:s like companion.
I bought mine last autumn and it already made friends.

Couple of weeks ago we explored some paths that were in the map but really didint exist in real life...

Here they are:

there should be a path there:

After that picture we ride up to the hill following tracks that were made years ago - maybe with something like harvesting machine.
I didnt control everything and ended under the bike, and between some rocks. Well, there is always something positive. I saw this beauty in front of my helmet:

sami

deepfreeze screwed with this post 05-11-2010 at 03:23 PM
deepfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #5257
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
I've got the Protaper Pastrana FMX ATV bars, and because of the bend, the cables are fine. It took a ride or two to get used to the sweep, but I like them, and they improved my reach when standing. The stock bars bend down at he ends. Didn't like them at all.

remind me where you got the mirrors? I need a set for mine, and a steering damper too.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #5258
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
remind me where you got the mirrors?
http://www.moto-science.com/

Good stuff.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #5259
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
remind me where you got the mirrors? I need a set for mine, and a steering damper too.

Mine were from here in vendors, and is indeed, Moto-Science.
Neduro is also selling mirrors, which people are preferring over the ones I have. Does the 525 have the damper? You could get a mount, and just swap it between bikes.

B-Rod screwed with this post 05-12-2010 at 10:22 AM
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #5260
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,266
thanks guys, the 525 has a damper, I want one for my 640, mirrors for that too, but a longer stalk would be better for the 525 for any on road time at home, it's barely legal as is.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #5261
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 464
Piston sizes

Could anyone tell me if a 100.95 piston kit will work with a brand new cylinder? Got sent the .95 instead of the stock .94
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #5262
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,969
The way to check is to measure the piston diameter and the cylinder diameter and subtract : Cylinder D - piston D = max 0.12 mm for forged and max 0.05 for cast... No minimums are given but the by measuring you could figure out if it's going to be tight... Take measurements at the piston skirt level with the piston pin but a quarter turn opposite...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #5263
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
The way to check is to measure the piston diameter and the cylinder diameter and subtract : Cylinder D - piston D = max 0.12 mm for forged and max 0.05 for cast... No minimums are given but the by measuring you could figure out if it's going to be tight... Take measurements at the piston skirt level with the piston pin but a quarter turn opposite...
thanks gunnerbuck! Let's hope my cylinder comes soon enough so I can measure it up.. I really wouldn't want to have to send it back to USA to get the one I asked for in the first place.. It's a wossner which is forged I think.
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #5264
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyw
I am looking at new set of bars. Currently have a set of Protapers the previous owner had cut down narrow and they are low bend (CR?). So I was thinking a new set with more rise was in order. While shopping around I came across a set of ATV Protapers that have at least a inch more rise. This seems to do away with the need for riser mounts. Of course if I just needed more rise it would be finacially better to just get riser mounts. This also seems lke it would give more clearance around the fairing at full tilt. Anyone ever tried this?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #5265
toadstoole96
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I just got a 625 SMC. Without the obvious body work differences, how similar is the drive train compared to a 06 625 SMC? I'd like to do a ride to Las Vegas from Orange county one day. It's just I have 15k miles on my SMC. Is there any engine work that needs to be done before a big 600 RT ride?