User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 AM   #5326
MattyDB
n00b

Oddometer: 9
mines a '98!

He Peeps! I got a 1998 Adventure and im slowly rebuilding the beauty .. which leads me to my next question, can anyone point me in the direction of the fuel line routing layout for this? So cant wait to get back on the road !
MattyDB

MattyDB screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 07:34 AM
MattyDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #5327
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
welcome to the furry land of ktm drain plugs...
I thought about a furry plug thread a while ago. One always thinks ones plug is bigger/worse than anyone elses!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #5328
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by robberst
Need some advise from you all.
Over the past weekend I started servicing my '99
Here is my drain plug when I pulled it.

I did a complete servicing when I purchased it this past winter, but this is my first service after riding it a while. The cartridge filter has nothing in it, the screen had a few very small shavings on it, nothing I would be worried about, but this magnetic plug worries me. It was about 1/2 teaspoon of ferrous metal.
This can't be normal...The engine package seems to small to loose this much metal.
I pulled the clutch to check the main transmission shaft bearing. I still have the ball bearing, but it seems in good condition still. There is no unusual play and I don't think it's the cause of the metal. However I will replace it.

Next I pulled the cam cover. The roller bearings, cam bearings, etc, all look good at the top end as well. There is nothing unusual up there.

Should I open the engine further? Is it possible the clutch plates can make this much metal? I consider myself a an adept shifter, No clutchless shifts. Transmission seems pretty tight(from the outside)

Or should I put it back together and keep going?

My riding so far this season has been commuting to work. 3000 miles of commuting 80 miles a day, 20 of which are unpaved. Fairly gentle riding 50-70 mph rough roads in rural North Dakota. Perhaps this is too long between oil changes, I was just going by KTM's recommendation, with good quality oil.

I
Did you check the cam follower bearings? Specifically the inlet side. Also, I am not sure that a visual inspection of the cam follower bearings would high light the wear. In my case, the wear was on the bearing pin itself, which you cannot see. Also, valve clearances were normal UNTIL the bearing suddenly let go, destroying inlet valves, inlet follower and cam.

How many miles has the bike done?

I know that I will be (as a matter of regular maintanance) be replacing my cam follower inlet bearing every 20,000 kms. The exhaust side showed absolutley no wear, but I replaced it anyway. My bike has done 31,000 kms (easy 25,000km by previous owner on road).

YMMV and OMMV (others milage may vary).

David.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #5329
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDB
He Peeps! I got a 1998 Adventure and im slowly rebuilding the beauty .. which leads me to my next question, can anyone point me in the direction of the fuel line routing layout for this? So cant wait to get back on the road !
MattyDB
you have to do the conversion math and cut em longer and work shorter..

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #5330
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Help needed

Hey all you KTM lovers out there.....

A mate has just bought a 2002 KTM 640 Adventure and had the forks recon'd. He's been trying to get the Torque settings for the tripple grip bolts. Can anyone assist ?

TopEnd screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 09:37 PM
TopEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #5331
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Hi TopEnd,
On my 07 640a the manual specs:
Top tripple clamp 20 NM 14.75 FtLb
Bottom tripple clamp 15Nm 11.06 FtLb
Hope this helps
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:14 AM   #5332
MattyDB
n00b

Thanks Wrk2Surf - Can you tell me how this hooks up to the Mikuni Carb? Im not sure which hose connects to which nozzle? Dont have it infront of me but i believe there are 2 or 3 nozzle's on the carb itself ...
Old 06-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #5333
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerst
Hi TopEnd,
On my 07 640a the manual specs:
Top tripple clamp 20 NM 14.75 FtLb
Bottom tripple clamp 15Nm 11.06 FtLb
Hope this helps
Thanks Gerst....that'll do the trick.

TopEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #5334
Reset1
640-24-7

Oddometer: 68
Cam follower bearing

Geez? My 6fotty has done +47 000km. On all kinds of terain. And never opened up my enginge, exept for a valve cheak maybe 3 times.. No break downs or hiccups...

there is only one kind of adventure, the lc4 kind!!
Reset1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #5335
robberst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I'm happy to report that I found the cause of my furry oil drain plug.
It's the transmission main shaft bearing. the bearing is just loose enough for the outer clutch hub gears to just ever so slightly hit the case and shave a bit off both the case half and lightly shave some steel off the gear.

Anyhow I'm thrilled to find the problem with a fix well documented here.
Back to your normal programming
robberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #5336
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDB
Thanks Wrk2Surf - Can you tell me how this hooks up to the Mikuni Carb? Im not sure which hose connects to which nozzle? Dont have it infront of me but i believe there are 2 or 3 nozzle's on the carb itself ...
no only one inlet on carb .... 3 on pump... one from motor for impulse (smaller one) one from both taps with a T fitting and one outlet... to the carb...

the pump has arrows on it as well...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #5337
MattyDB
n00b

Thanks Wrk2Surf - armed with this info I will have a look this weekend, thanks again.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #5338
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
I was out for a run in the wet and cold the last couple of days and at one juncture I turned the ignition on and nothing happened, no electrics turned on at all. After a couple of minutes it all came back on its own accord. Then yesterday morning I went to start the bike and when I pushed the starter button the electrics quit and I could hear a small click at the starter and a small click from somewhere under the seat. A cursory examination did not reveal anything loose. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

thanks
mike
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 AM   #5339
K2ride
Single track mind!

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
I was out for a run in the wet and cold the last couple of days and at one juncture I turned the ignition on and nothing happened, no electrics turned on at all. After a couple of minutes it all came back on its own accord. Then yesterday morning I went to start the bike and when I pushed the starter button the electrics quit and I could hear a small click at the starter and a small click from somewhere under the seat. A cursory examination did not reveal anything loose. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

thanks
mike
Pull the ignition switch from the bike & have a look under its cover; good chance you'll find the problem.

K2ride screwed with this post 06-05-2010 at 05:27 AM
K2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #5340
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2ride
Pull the ignition switch & from the bike & have a look under its cover; good chance you'll find the problem.
will do, thanks for that. I did snug up those screws which were a little loose, I'll take it off and have a look
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote