Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #5401
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp
At the KTM dealer right now and he thinks my LC4 is about to grenade.

Somewhere long ago somebody mentioned a website that had LC4 engines for sale. Whole units no BS. Where would that website be?

Looks like I won't be going to the MT 1000 after all.

TIA

Will also just put this on thumpers.
The engines were in the 4k+ range IIRC. Rebuild yours or part the bike out IMO.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #5402
rruugger
formally rruugger

Oddometer: 1,272
Mexico!

Baja coast

Old 07-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #5403
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
At the KTM dealer right now and he thinks my LC4 is about to grenade.

Somewhere long ago somebody mentioned a website that had LC4 engines for sale. Whole units no BS. Where would that website be?

Looks like I won't be going to the MT 1000 after all.

TIA

Will also just put this on thumpers.
A bit of a general diagnosis isn't it?? How much experieince does the dealer have with LC4 engines?

I would have thought most 'normal' human being would think a LC4 engine is about to grenade. They are not the quietest (or smoothest) engines around.

A quick look through the LC4 Index would show several easy to fix things that sound like a grenade. My most recent grenade moment was the inlet cam follower bearing.

Don't automatically assume rebuild. But don't ignore the problem either.

Just my $0.02 worth.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #5404
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,418
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson
A bit of a general diagnosis isn't it?? How much experieince does the dealer have with LC4 engines?

I would have thought most 'normal' human being would think a LC4 engine is about to grenade. They are not the quietest (or smoothest) engines around.

A quick look through the LC4 Index would show several easy to fix things that sound like a grenade. My most recent grenade moment was the inlet cam follower bearing.

Don't automatically assume rebuild. But don't ignore the problem either.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Okay here is the 411.

First off I love this bike and don't want to get rid of it so I won't part it out.

The dealer knows his stuff. I trust him. It also helps that he has a 2002 LC4e sitting in his shop that came in 2 weeks ago with the same sounding noise coming from the engine. What the problem there was the main shaft bearing for the clutch. Probably not the exact term but hopefully you get the gist.

What he did was have me take off the big tank and he then put a big screw driver down the oil fill hole and wiggle the clutch. It moved quite a bit and it's not supposed too.

He then had me drain the oil out of the engine and look at the magnetic drain plugs. That pretty much confirmed that the bearing is about ready to go out. It had more metal on there than the photo of the guy with the same problem.

Total rebuild will be $1222. That is what was quoted for the 2002 in his shop. I will save some money by taking the engine out myself. I am thinking of doing the job myself but have never split the engine. Any manuals out there? Do I need special tools?

Oh and the shaft seal does leak but that's the least of my problems.

Looking for used engines but why do that, they could last 6 months and break as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I am taking the bike off the flea market, not going to give my problem to somebody else.

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #5405
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Okay here is the 411.

First off I love this bike and don't want to get rid of it so I won't part it out.

The dealer knows his stuff. I trust him. It also helps that he has a 2002 LC4e sitting in his shop that came in 2 weeks ago with the same sounding noise coming from the engine. What the problem there was the main shaft bearing for the clutch. Probably not the exact term but hopefully you get the gist.

What he did was have me take off the big tank and he then put a big screw driver down the oil fill hole and wiggle the clutch. It moved quite a bit and it's not supposed too.

He then had me drain the oil out of the engine and look at the magnetic drain plugs. That pretty much confirmed that the bearing is about ready to go out. It had more metal on there than the photo of the guy with the same problem.

Total rebuild will be $1222. That is what was quoted for the 2002 in his shop. I will save some money by taking the engine out myself. I am thinking of doing the job myself but have never split the engine. Any manuals out there? Do I need special tools?

Looking for used engines but why do that, they could last 6 months and break as well.

I am taking the bike off the flea market, not going to give my problem to somebody else.
If it really is the main shaft bearing that is bad, this should save you some coin if you tackle it yourself:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73558
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #5406
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,418
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallache
If it really is the main shaft bearing that is bad, this should save you some coin if you tackle it yourself:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73558
I remember that thread. I guess that I would need the bearing puller and that was all that I would need.

I can do that, might take some time but I could do that job.

Now where can I get a puller?

TIA

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #5407
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Okay here is the 411.

hi there! I had this same problem, only I caught it late and my mainshaft bearing on the slave cylinder side of the clutch collapsed and sent metal through the engine taking out just about everything!! Here my problem I had
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551527
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #5408
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

I think I would split the cases to make sure you get all the metal out before it ruins everything. Get a gasket kit and parts from non ridiculously priced overseas supp . And hopefully your piston/ top end and bottom end is all still good then you just have to flush it out and replace the main shaft bearings both sides and re-assemble it. If you need a bearing puller ask your local Ktm mechanic if he could loan it to you. When I pulled my engine apart I borrowed some tools free of charge from the dealer I bought my bike from. If you'd like I can send you a serv. manual.

Good luck
Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #5409
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 281
Question Clutch basket bearing

Hi , here is my 2cents worth. There is a common problem with the clutch basket bearing that the 1 in some models fail because it is a ball bearing and the replacement is a roller bearing . I have had 1 replaced on a 2002 LC4 at a cost of $280 dollars in Australia , there was asome metal found on the sump plug . The motor was flushed with cheap oil and then the good oil went in , the bike is still going after 50,000 + kms on the clock . This might work for you ??????????
Tezza

Quote:
Okay here is the 411.

Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #5410
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,798
Found this cosy pair on UK KTM forum - heading off to Namibia.

overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #5411
rruugger
formally rruugger

Oddometer: 1,272

Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #5412
G I Mavro
Orange monster

Oddometer: 25
Question 6fotty engine

Hey guys. i am getting curious. I have been reading through these threads & maybe i am just blind, but all these engine, clutch, bearing etc. problems on the old goats. I don't seem to read about them on the 07 models such as Adamska ( my 07 640 Adv ). I had an 05 that was stolen, got it with about 50 000km on it & as far as i know, the engine hadn't been worked on & no problems. My bud, also on Adv rider, reset1 sent Eve ( 05 640 Adv ) for service & sounds like extensive repairs, clutch, and some other repairs, In March, 7000+km ago he had the main bearing done. He is on anout 50 000km now.

Am i just lucky as i am sitting @ 44 000km after buying it with 30 000km last year this time? i have had it serviced once & will @ the end of July have it serviced again & do the airbox & carb. Don't get me wrong, it's not like i don't ride the bugger. i generally do 100km'h - 120km/h on average traveling to work & back & often see how close to 200km/h i can get, so far my best is 174km/h. I often wheelie Adamska as well ( still a bit green on that subject ), so the bike is being looked after & being used properly on & off-road.

So except for the cosmetic changes since 06 & some other miner stuff old beasty posted on another thread, are there any internal changes, like a roller bearing set up standard instead of the ball bearing?

Just wondered you know. Can i relax or should i be preparing my year end bonus to upgrade my orange steed?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #5413
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Mavro I have a 06 which if I'm not mistaken is identical just about to the 07.. If you read through all the posts on this thread and there are plenty on the oz/kiwi 640 adv riders thread about refreshing the 640 at about 40-50k stage. Most of the 640 that are looked after and serviced regularly, good oil and clean air filters should last very long. Most of the bikes getting towards the 40-50k range have their top end checked and valves done, new rocker arm rollers(most likely cause of top end failure) and easy top replace. It's only a few unfortunate cases where a bearing in the engine cases starts to give up and cases big problems in the bottom end. The clutch basket bearing and also the freewheel bearing have been known to fail in some cases from what I have heard.

If you say you have only had your bike serviced once in the last 14 000km by Ktm, have you done oil and filter changes in between by yourself? Just change oil every 5k depending on how hard you ride, keep the air filter clean and check the valve clearances every second interval. Just my 2cents anyway.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #5414
G I Mavro
Orange monster

Oddometer: 25
6fotty

Great. I have changed the oil about 3000k's back & it was serviced when i bought it. So i did 7000k's & had it serviced & then another 7000, give or take a couple i will have it done month end. So far i have not heard any unusual noises in Adamska's box so i still feel confident that he's doing fine. The LC4 engine is a noisy one in anycase. Thanks for the info.

Sweet!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #5415
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
The mainshaft bearing was changed from ball bearings to the upgraded roller pin style bearings in 2003.

If your bike is a pre-2003 you might consider the upgrade to your bike. Mine is an '02 and while I have never had any issues on the 3 LC4's I have owned (a 2002 Enduro and a 2003 625SXC and now the 2002 640A) I will be keeping this bike til it dies so over the winter I will be doing the upgrade.

It is relatively easy to do from the looks of it and you do not need to split the cases to do the work (unless yours has already failed).

Have a look in the LC4 thread index for all kinds of more info on this stuff, stickied at the top of the Thumpers page.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote