Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #5911
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
They are the same except for colour. Yours looks so much better with that on. I've never like the proboscis that came on the silver bikes. . . . sorry Gunnerbuck.

I may do a bit of an appearance shake up on my bike before I'm finished with it...I have a six days version of the proboscis fender to try... It's colored gloss black with a green metallic sheen... I also have a spare tank from an 07 that may see a gloss black paint scheme...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #5912
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
I may do a bit of an appearance shake up on my bike before I'm finished with it...I have a six days version of the proboscis fender to try... It's colored gloss black with a green metallic sheen... I also have a spare tank from an 07 that may see a gloss black paint scheme...
I actually like the silver/ black bikes the best, this one is pretty cool too. A little heavy with the white, but inspiration nevertheless.

Loadedagain's old 640. Yummy

Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #5913
greasyboy
cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer: 1,768
[quote=B-Rod]I see you have an '06. I found a picture of your bike, and sure enough, someone has removed one rotor. '04-'07 640's came with dual discs, but many feel it is too much brake, and too much weight, so they lose one. Single disc is fine, provided the process involved swapping the master with one from a 950 SE (also single disc) or and EXC. If it works good, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not real happy with how it works on the road. Its fine in the woods. I need to replace the front rim, and the rotor is warped. That could be some of the problem. Money is super tight at the moment, so, i am hoping to replace all that in the spring, thanks!!
greasyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #5914
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
I haven't been farther that the car wash with it. It's -4º C, so today isn't looking good either. I imagine it will be good, due to it's shape and the flutes in the back. It's pretty stiff too.
I have the prior model of your high fender installed in my '06. I think they are similarly stiff enough.
I have rode @ 175Km/h (aprox 109mi/h?), no wind, no cases, no high windshield, flat route, and nothing remembered me i had the high fender on. I write this just to give an extreme example, but I never drive at that speed, and I think you don't either .
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #5915
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,266
no issues with the high fender on the highway for me, except feeling it catch a little in sidewind gusts of over 50 km/h. I threw down the dosh for the Touratech setup to keep the dual disk which I like too.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #5916
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 464
A quick question if anyone might have had the same problem, I have oil seeping from the top of my forks. Not from the vent screw o-ring but I think maybe from a o-ring in the rebound adjuster. In the parts manual I don't see an o-ring associated with the rebound knob although it lists one near it #7 in the parts under fork legs. Anyone had this before?

Sorry about the poor picture but whiich o-ring might be the culprit, #7 maybe?

Thanks
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #5917
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

O-rings are cheap, I would replace #7 and #10 in both legs...
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #5918
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Have you done it before Gunner? I was reading Meat's thread on fork maintenance and he said that if you get oil in the wrong place where the rod is(the one that can rust and get stuck) then it will cause oil to leak from the rebound.

Should I just pull my forks off and unscrew the top cap or do I have to disassemble the forks.. The forks got some new fork oil and fork seals recently so I don't want to have to drain oil etc again.

Cheers
Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #5919
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawggg
Have you done it before Gunner? I was reading Meat's thread on fork maintenance and he said that if you get oil in the wrong place where the rod is(the one that can rust and get stuck) then it will cause oil to leak from the rebound.

Should I just pull my forks off and unscrew the top cap or do I have to disassemble the forks.. The forks got some new fork oil and fork seals recently so I don't want to have to drain oil etc again.

Cheers
If your forks have been serviced recently then you could just remove the caps and not drain the oil.... You will need a skinny wrench to slip in between the spring and the cap to hold it while you unscrew the cap...

If when your forks were serviced a little oil went into the adjustment tube it will weep out through the cap dial for a little while and then stop...
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #5920
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

I thought that might be what was happening but it keeps weeping, especially after tough going. The top of the forks will have oil all over them. The right fork more than the left. It doesn't seem to be seeping any less for nearly 2k km now, so I might just do them this wknd when I service my bike. They've probably lost quite bit of oil.. Bike has been great other than that.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #5921
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
Been part of the club for about a week, so far this is the most fun all around motorcycle I've ever ridden. I absolutely love the LC4. Is it wrong to want an enduro and supermotard one too?

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #5922
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots
Been part of the club for about a week, so far this is the most fun all around motorcycle I've ever ridden. I absolutely love the LC4. Is it wrong to want an enduro and supermotard one too?
Welcome to the support group! Who wouldn't want more than one variation!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #5923
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Been thinking that same thing....
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #5924
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
I actually like the silver/ black bikes the best, this one is pretty cool too. A little heavy with the white, but inspiration nevertheless.

Loadedagain's old 640. Yummy

Did you get that 99 from So cal? I think I seen it for sale about 4 months ago. I like both your bikes good job on the paint choices. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #5925
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Ortlieb saddle bags

I'm looking for pics of 640a's with Ortlieb saddle bags mounted. Just curious how you mounted yours. Are you using a frame? If not how secure are they? If you're using a frame which one? Do you like it? What would you improve?

I bought a second hand pair to replace my Dirt Bagz and will spend some time this winter fiddling with the fit.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote