Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #586
ncfitton
Summit Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
Just a physicist, but that does not look impressive, looks like an output of about 40hp, the peaks are just clutch dumps, plus 20hp will not maintain 120mph on a bike with these dynamics, so on the road, drag will kill all at about 90mph or so.
Anyone got a factory dyno chart?
can you explain that clutch dump concept a little more? i dont understand how changing gears causes a spike in the data, i was expecting the dip, since we measuring at the rear wheel.

The spike could be explained by the wheel actually outputing that spike and immediately losing traction.

The spike could also be explained by instrument noise, such as bearing jitter or something similar when the rear wheel shudders during gear change.

I only ever had one bike dyno'd 10 or more years ago and they just graphed rpm v hp such as meat pop's image, so i am not familiar with the spikes.

creeper?
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:11 AM   #587
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Clutch dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfitton
can you explain that clutch dump concept a little more? i dont understand how changing gears causes a spike in the data, i was expecting the dip, since we measuring at the rear wheel.

The spike could be explained by the wheel actually outputing that spike and immediately losing traction.

The spike could also be explained by instrument noise, such as bearing jitter or something similar when the rear wheel shudders during gear change.

I only ever had one bike dyno'd 10 or more years ago and they just graphed rpm v hp such as meat pop's image, so i am not familiar with the spikes.

creeper?
Like I say, I'm no expert on dyno readings, but as I understand it, when the clutch is released on gear change you get a spike, I think this is just down to the equipment going from no reading to reading again as the torque kicks in and is not indicative of horsepower.
What pipe jet combination is the reading from? How many miles on the bike etc....?
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #588
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
I just got one after years of sports bikes and an old XT500 for the mud, wanted something for green lanes and commuting 120 miles round trip a day, it is the dogs nuts.
Should have done it years ago.
Went out with some sports bike mates at the weekend and sure they left me on the straights but I creamed them in the bumpy corners.

I'm in Kent, U.K. by the way.

Am going to wait until about 5000 miles before I mod up on pipe and jets.

Seat is a total bitch, have ordered the KTM comfort seat, other than that all is well, have tackled a couple of my usual green lanes with ease.
Hey Buckster and welcome.

You may be interested in http://www.bigtrailbike.com/ there is a Southern Softies meeting at Ripley, Surrey (don't know if that's of any use to you).

Also please have a look at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=776608 if you're interested in an exhaust.

Enjoy your new bike, you've bought the best!
Old 07-25-2004, 01:42 PM   #589
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTiM

You may be interested in http://www.bigtrailbike.com/ there is a Southern Softies meeting at Ripley, Surrey (don't know if that's of any use to you).

Also please have a look at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=776608 if you're interested in an exhaust.

Southern Softies? I'm from the North East, just live down here to improve the stock.

Thanks for the welcome.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:30 AM   #590
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist
I've just bought an 04 Adventure, all Orange, low guard, twin disks etc. I'll try and post up some pics when I get a chance. Very nice
Thinking about trading my 2000 Husky TE610-E on the KTM '04. Thing that worries me is the constant problems I hear with them in Aus, I was hoping this was sorted out in the '03 model, Craig Hartley of Dalby Moto confirmed that for me and he told me he thinks the '03 is better then the '04. That aside...

I am particulalry interested on how it runs on ULP (90% of the time where I ride you can not get PULP) have you tried it on ULP yet ? Needed to re-jet or running it stock ?
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:37 AM   #591
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor S
Thinking about trading my 2000 Husky TE610-E on the KTM '04. Thing that worries me is the constant problems I hear with them in Aus, I was hoping this was sorted out in the '03 model, Craig Hartley of Dalby Moto confirmed that for me and he told me he thinks the '03 is better then the '04. That aside...

I am particulalry interested on how it runs on ULP (90% of the time where I ride you can not get PULP) have you tried it on ULP yet ? Needed to re-jet or running it stock ?
Perhaps you could elucidate ( ) on Craig's views and which aspect of the 03 is better than 04?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:25 AM   #592
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Perhaps you could elucidate ( ) on Craig's views and which aspect of the 03 is better than 04?
Ask Craig I was looking earlier this year at changing (Husky --> KTM) but have been riding to many km's on the BMW Adv to do anything about it yet, he commented that in his opinion the '03 was better then the '04, I never went into further detail on the phone with him, we were discussing his involvment with FOHVA etc as well as the problems with running Aussie ULP fuel on the KTM and a couple other items.

Trevor S screwed with this post 07-27-2004 at 05:30 AM
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:16 AM   #593
ncfitton
Summit Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor S
Ask Craig I was looking earlier this year at changing (Husky --> KTM) but have been riding to many km's on the BMW Adv to do anything about it yet, he commented that in his opinion the '03 was better then the '04, I never went into further detail on the phone with him, we were discussing his involvment with FOHVA etc as well as the problems with running Aussie ULP fuel on the KTM and a couple other items.
It should not be very surprising that many people find the high front fender and single front disk of the '03 more functional than the '04 model.

I would be surprised if Aussie ULP is any worse than Mexico, and people seem to ride their KTM's down there without too many problems.
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:36 AM   #594
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTiM

You may be interested in http://www.bigtrailbike.com/

Just an observation that URL goes to a site that still lists the latest test on BM's "latest" : the 1150GS!! Just a tad out dated
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:15 AM   #595
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
A stock KTM 460 year 2003 will put 44.8 bhp on the scale. I did it with mine, completely stock.

A new akrapovic is being installed soon, with jetting etc, and I'll do a run again. So you'll be able to see the difference.
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:49 AM   #596
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Just an observation that URL goes to a site that still lists the latest test on BM's "latest" : the 1150GS!! Just a tad out dated
You're right there. The guy who runs it is a fantastic organiser when it comes to events and trips to Europe, but isn't so hot on the 'site! I guess it boils down to the fact that he'd prefer to be ridin' than 'putin'.!! But it's a good point and dosen't make the club look too good.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:57 AM   #597
wirebustersindiana
Let's Ride!!!

Oddometer: 3
Laugh New Adventure Rider...

Hello,

My name is Michael and I am new to this forum.

I own a 1998 KTM 620 Adventure EGS-E (orange).

The only mods the bike has are the new Makuni carb and aluminum panniers. The only problem with the panniers is they are designed for a 2001 Adventure with the high exhuast.

I would consider selling the set with mounting if someone was interested?

How do I post images if I do not have a URL?

Thanks for the string guys, keep in touch...

Michael
(260)-410-8235
Old 07-28-2004, 10:06 AM   #598
twsiv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebustersindiana
...."I would consider selling the set with mounting if someone was interested?"
I would be interested.
Taylor
214-727-2221
twsiv@yahoo.com
Old 07-28-2004, 09:31 PM   #599
wirebustersindiana
Let's Ride!!!

Oddometer: 3
Question Tire Balancing

I'm changing tires to Maxxis M6006 front and rear.

Do the wheels need to be balanced if you change the tire (rubber) on your front or rear?

I have a taped weight balance on my front rim (21"), but there isn't one on the rear(18")?

My rear rim also has two holes for rim locks but there's just rubber gromets in them now. I plan on riding hard sooo...

Should I get one or both rim lock for the rear?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:09 PM   #600
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
[QUOTE=wirebustersindiana] I'm changing tires to Maxxis M6006 front and rear.

Do the wheels need to be balanced if you change the tire (rubber) on your front or rear?

I have a taped weight balance on my front rim (21"), but there isn't one on the rear(18")?

My rear rim also has two holes for rim locks but there's just rubber gromets in them now. I plan on riding hard sooo...

Should I get one or both rim lock for the rear?[/QUOTE

Hi WBI,
If you'll be riding at speed on the street, you'll want to balance them.

If you'll be reducing air pressures below 18-20lbs, you may want to install rim locks, which will add to your balance weight considerably, if you choose to balance them.

I think most of the folks with Adventures that are used on the street frequently don't run rim locks and keep tire pressures high enough in the dirt to keep the tires (and tubes) from rotating.

If you don't use rim locks, do not install any nuts on the valve stems outside (hub side) the rim... it allows for a bit of rotation without riping the stems from the tubes when you reduce air pressures for the dirt.

Creeper