User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #6046
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,346
Add One More

'01, in Texas (of course, it's really a lateral shuffle from another Inmate - thanks, lucky), loaded up to go get registrated.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #6047
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 534
I put KTM folding mirrors on my 06 640 Adventure. I wanted to be able to fold the mirrors out of the way.

I was riding in Death Valley last fall when the elbow section of the mirror bent forward during a get off. I found out the mirror base is designed to fail (break off at the mount) to prevent injury. Mine half failed bending at the mount, bending it back would make it even weaker. I also discovered other 640 owners had the mirror fail the same way just by riding gravel/rocky roads. I question the need for this fail safe feature in a folding mirror, especially one used off road.

Here is the failure mechanism

The M10 thread narrows down to 4mm. Mine is bent.

Henri the US distributor for FAR of Italy, is aware of this and has tried to get FAR to do something about it. He has supported me and the rest of his customers, but this is a design problem. I look forward to an improved design from FAR but don't expect it any time soon.

In the mean time I found a way around this problem that allows you to put your mirror paddles back to into use.

The mirror paddle has an M8 thread where it connects to the elbow. Using an M8 joining nut you can mount a RAM ball on the end of the stem. RAM does not make an M8 threaded ball so you need to make one. Take one of your RAM ball mounts then cut off the base and cut an M8 thread on the shaft. Using RAM components you can make a RAM ball vise.

Once you have a RAM ball on the stem there are lot of options to mount to your mirror mount.

I have a RAM ball with an M10 thread screwed into my mirror mount and used RAM short arms to connect the paddles.

Fully adjustable with reliable, replaceable parts.
Ed
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #6048
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 773
re: Mirrors

After having two fail as you described ( 1 crash, 1 just riding along), I just bought the Doubletake mirrors from neduro. End of problem.

But I like your solution.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #6049
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Double Take

Looks like what you've got is alot like what Ned sells w/ the Double Take mirrors. I've got a set for my 640 and they are the best out there.
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #6050
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 534
I've got two sets of KTM folding mirror paddles to go through, then I'll get double takes.
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #6051
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
Looks like what you've got is alot like what Ned sells w/ the Double Take mirrors. I've got a set for my 640 and they are the best out there.
ditto
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #6052
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Wicked

Hey Ktm 640 lovers! I'm looking to buy either a Ktm 640 or a Dr650, and recently came across a pretty good deal for a 2002 Ktm 640. It comes with a lot of extra stuff, has about 13k miles on it, says it hasn't been on dirt much, 2nd owner, and this guy says he really babied it a lot. So I'll be going to look at it in a few days and I was thinking maybe you guys could help point me at things I should be looking for when checking it out. I don't know much about Ktm's. Any advice here helpful.

I know this isn't specific to this thread, but I think you guys who own this bike can help me out here the most!

Thanks A Bunch!

Cheers!
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #6053
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
Hey Ktm 640 lovers! ......

I know this isn't specific to this thread, but I think you guys who own this bike can help me out here the most!

Thanks A Bunch!

Cheers!
Have a long read of some of the posts in the pirst few pages of Meat's thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #6054
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Creeper's Used 640 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
Hey Ktm 640 lovers! I'm looking to buy either a Ktm 640 or a Dr650, and recently came across a pretty good deal for a 2002 Ktm 640. It comes with a lot of extra stuff, has about 13k miles on it, says it hasn't been on dirt much, 2nd owner, and this guy says he really babied it a lot. So I'll be going to look at it in a few days and I was thinking maybe you guys could help point me at things I should be looking for when checking it out. I don't know much about Ktm's. Any advice here helpful.

Thanks A Bunch!

Cheers!

Here's the link you want to read...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181591
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #6055
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,250
Okay I have a question for 640 Adventure guys. I know given the forum thread here what the general consensus will be, but looking for all the info I can get. (I will also be reading and sifting through the thousands of pages here, but looking for specific comparison comments)

Have any of you gone from a DR650 to a 640 Adventure? I've been on a DR650 for a few years, and it's been a very good bike. Just that I am apparently going to be limited to a one-bike situation, and thinking on upgrading in some way.

I am in western Montana and ride pave roads and dirt roads. Not much single track and technical stuff, but some. Occasional longer trips as time allows.

The DR has worked fine for this.......but thinking I want *something* a little better before spending more on the Zooki. Thus far I've put suspension and exhaust improvments and it has decent power. I have a windscreen and like keeping the blast off my chest.

So, the questions:

How are the rumored engine vibrations in relation to any other thumper? (Mainly curious at highway speed)

How is the all-day comfort?

Quirks to iron out?

Reliability/ease of maintenance? (DR is reliable as a hammer and just as easy to service)

Those who ride a 640 as their only bike, does it leave you wanting anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments, slap-downs and heckling.

SR

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #6056
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

some thoughts

I cannot speak to each of your questions as I have not had any other similar thumper to compare it to. But here's my thoughts on questions I can speak towards...

I flew to Vegas and bought this bike. Rode it back to Colorado Springs. Granted it was a new bike so I was excited to be on it... But I was happy with how it did. I think it took me 16 hours of pavement driving. The main thing that I struggled w/ was my butt. I ordered up a Renazco seat straight away when I got home! Since then, I have not had such a long trip on it...but I have done a few 6 hour stretches at a time. It is a thumper...so you have to obvioulsy understand that you are not on a Harley, but once you get past that...it's really not all that bad.

Quirks to iron out?
The only issue I've had is that the clutch gave out on me. I had to replace a seal and that was it. Lot's of good info on here on how to fix things yourself. I think it cost me like 5 bucks is all.

Reliability/ease of maintenance? (DR is reliable as a hammer and just as easy to service)
See above...

I also currently have a CRF450 but haven't barely ever used it. I mostly use the 640 as my only bike. Does it leave me wanting more? Sure. Anytime I'm on a real roadtrip, I wish I had a road bike. Everytime I am doing single track trails, I think that I wish I had the CRF. (or actually an EXC ) I like to ride though, so I typically don't trailer that bike to a trailhead. Bottom line is that you are giving up some from each world when you go with this size of a dual sport. That's the case no matter what manufacture you're on though. I think that this bike is probably the best bike that can handle both really well. I've heard that maybe the KLR's or 650gs are probably a bit better on the HWY...but I don't know that they handle the trails as well. If you are doing mostly hwy and just dirt roads than maybe you should look at the Adventure 990? I had one of those first, and it was perfect for those two combinations. Only problem is that it gave me the itch to be in the dirt more. I'm not a good enough rider to do singletrack type stuff w/ the 990 so I went to the 640. Wow... maybe alot of obvious, useless info I gave ya there, but I tried anyway! haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Okay I have a question for 640 Adventure guys. I know given the forum thread here what the general consensus will be, but looking for all the info I can get. (I will also be reading and sifting through the thousands of pages here, but looking for specific comparison comments)

Have any of you gone from a DR650 to a 640 Adventure? I've been on a DR650 for a few years, and it's been a very good bike. Just that I am apparently going to be limited to a one-bike situation, and thinking on upgrading in some way.

I am in western Montana and ride pave roads and dirt roads. Not much single track and technical stuff, but some. Occasional longer trips as time allows.

The DR has worked fine for this.......but thinking I want *something* a little better before spending more on the Zooki. Thus far I've put suspension and exhaust improvments and it has decent power. I have a windscreen and like keeping the blast off my chest.

So, the questions:

How are the rumored engine vibrations in relation to any other thumper? (Mainly curious at highway speed)

Quirks to iron out?

SR
Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #6057
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 145
ShadyRascal,

I went from a KLR650 to a 640A

The down side...
- It seems to vibrate more at first (But have since gotten used to it)
- Oil changes are an adventure onto itself

On the plus side...
- It accelerate instead of building up speed
- It stops instead of slowing down
- It's got a better suspension
- Bigger fuel tank
- It looks better

It does a good job as my urban-assault vehicule, I've taken it on multi-day adventure without any problems... Other than the fact that it's harder to start when it gets cold outside (50°F and below)... I can't complain.
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #6058
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post

So, the questions:

Quirks to iron out?

SR
I had a 99 Adventure for a little while and last year at work we got an 07 DR.

Here are my random thoughts...

640 vibrates slightly more than DR
640 suspensions/frame way better than DR, remember the base was a Dakar bike not so much the case for the DR
Power, the 640 has more
Wind protection (sorry I am in KS and that matters here), night and day, the adventure wins
Fuel capacity the 640 wins. And remember if you do single tracks, you probably do not want to have it full with all that weight up high
If you do a lot of slow technical stuff the DR would win I do not know if it is the weight or the lower center of gravity or the height but it seems to me like the DR would be easier to manage in precarious situation than the 640.
Be aware of the weight of gas, i do not know very many adventure owners that have not tip their's because all that weight when full needs to be kept pretty vertical or you'll have a bike to pick up.
I had no issue to speak off with my 640 other than a clutch cable, but it is newer technology and maybe not near as friendly to work on as the DR for an amateur like me.

If it was me having experience on both, I'd take the adventure but I am bias I guess rink

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #6059
erdsh
KTM 640 Adventure

Oddometer: 104
Problem with IMO

Hello,
I have some problems with the 2001 ADV computer, the IMO, again.
now, as I start driving it shows speeds which are rediculesly wrong. My avarege speed now is around 450 to 520 kph...
every time I turn on the bike, the odometer shows something elese. the bike was around 48K km and then it went up to around 80K and then 0 (zero) and again around 100K.
the clock shows different time every time I turn on the bike.
where should I start?
I took the computer appart once and fixed a loose connector, and it worked fine for a year or so. But now it looks something different.
help anyone.
Thanks.
TT600R
KTM300EXC
CR125
YZ125
and many other...
erdsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #6060
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,648
It will probably vibrate more than the DR, it will be faster and more nimble, and it will take more patience to work on. That being said the joy of riding it overcomes the effort of working on it.

A lot of people get hung up on 640 maintenance but none of it is anything patience, time, and the correct tools can't fix. If you are ever having a rough time with something, stop, step back and think about what you are doing wrong.

The bike has no problems a little patience and thought can't solve.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote