Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #6076
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,181
Motion pro can make custom cables (longer) for usually cheaper than oem replacements.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #6077
DobroDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Motion pro can make custom cables (longer) for usually cheaper than oem replacements.
That is good news

Thanks!
DobroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #6078
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,820
i lengthen my decomp 200mm extra than the OE cable.
(150mm extra would had been ok)
i got my local shop to do it it was no big $

can buy do it your self kits on ebay.

MY07 950 SER
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #6079
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,115
I'm pretty sure that wr450 cables are just right for a 2" rise. Seem to remember reading it somewhere in this thread or the Oz 640 thread.I think thats what mine are - previous owner fitted risers and an msc damper - so just under 3" from top of triple clamp to centre of bars.. And throttle is in original position.

Shane
Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #6080
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,955
now you just need some doubletake mirrors to go on there
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #6081
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 214
Cool2

Hi there

lurked here already few months before buying my already not so new machine. But only last weekend I have got a chance to make decent photos of it.

Here is she in all her glory:

Bought in last days of November last year. Thanks to excellent guides from this forum I have lready cleaned and taken care of some minor problems and regular maintenance stuff:
  • carb cleaning and usual mods not approved by Derek ;) (ktm airbox cover, slide drilled to 3mm, needle +1, air 1.1 and fuel jet 157,5),
  • air filter cleaning,
  • changed the rear sprocket to more moderate one (15:45 installed by PO) now 15:42,
  • chain slack adjustment,
  • valve check and adjustment,
  • brake pads and brake fluid change,
  • epc removal,
  • soldering the faulty "mode" and "set" switch on the IMO
  • complete change of fuzzy fuel lines and vent lines incl. some rerouting from "hot" zones
  • have to make an new "underharness" after a meltdown of electric cables (rad fan and temperature switch ones) after not attaching them properly after valve adjustment - fried them with exhaust ;(
  • reroute and resolder some electrical wires (blinkers, horn, IMO)
  • greased and adjusted all cables - manual deco, enricher

Yet some more challenges to come:
  • leak from secondary clutch cylinder incl. stripped threads of 1, even possible 2 bolts
  • leak from timing glass sight window
  • slightly loose kickstarter lever
  • small leak from the exhaust (standard HGS4 pipe) just around the end - must open and see about the "wool" inside - is there any left after years of shaking ;)

She is from 2003 (engine number just about 180 apart from Creeper's @dv bike!), PO was an Austrian guy who went on his life trip to South America with his wife now (don't know him just searched the net for the name) and selled mot of his belongings in the country, detailed service history of the bike not known (KTM confirmed up to 2006 and ca. 22 TkM).

Bike has been standing still the last 1+ year before I bougth her. The guy I have buyed her from is working in Austria and buyed her from the dealer in Ludesch for himself with some minor starter clutch sprague problem. He repaired it but didn't have had enough time to register and play with - 2 kids and young wife and a busy work schedule in Austria. Then he had a work accident - got his wrist broken & he have had to abbandon the thoughts of playing with the paint shaker. So he selled it to me.

Bike has some stickers with South American flags and sth like "Tucuman Aladelta ...", "Hidalgo Enduro Total" and a key badge with name on it "moto's San Juan" - I wonder if the Austrian took it to South America before with him ;) I have even considered to call moto's in San Juan to ask if they know the bike but I don't "hablar espanol" ;(

Maybe the bike is known to someone here?? :) Would make a nice ADVrider story.

Anyway I do hope to have some serious fun with her! Both in the stall with wrenching around her as well outside.
Alik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #6082
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Some Adv parts for sale here:

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/r...%20for%20sale/
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #6083
Cdub!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Planning a 1000 miles trip on my 07 KTM 640 Adv (currently with 2400 mi. on the clock).

I noticed the right side engine case inspection window weeping a very small amount of oil (have read here others have had same issue).

Do I need to be concerned about this weep? Or can this issue withstand my planned trip?

Help from the 640 Adv Sages extremely appreciated.
Cdub! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #6084
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,181
you can pop it out and re -loctite 648 it very easy.. maybe want a new stator gasket incase yours is jacked up..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #6085
mrlarner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I had the stator side glass pop out on a trail last summer. Saw the same thing as you, so kept riding, until I noticed oil spraying all over my foot with no more sightglass. Had to bandage it and escape the woods.

wrk2surf, good to know about the loctite! I just took it to a shop and waited for the part (noob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdub! View Post
Planning a 1000 miles trip on my 07 KTM 640 Adv (currently with 2400 mi. on the clock).

I noticed the right side engine case inspection window weeping a very small amount of oil (have read here others have had same issue).

Do I need to be concerned about this weep? Or can this issue withstand my planned trip?

Help from the 640 Adv Sages extremely appreciated.
mrlarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #6086
Cdub!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Thanks for the replies! After seeing that pic; i'll take care of it before it gets to the point of becoming an inadvertant Scotts Chain Oiler!!
Cdub! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #6087
mrlarner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
More like a shoe oiler! Kept my ankle pins from squeaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdub! View Post
Thanks for the replies! After seeing that pic; i'll take care of it before it gets to the point of becoming an inadvertant Scotts Chain Oiler!!
mrlarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #6088
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 463
I've replaced mine with loctite and it was fine for a couple thou kms and then it started seeping again. I've been riding it with the tiny amount seeping because I couldn't be bothered. I'll do it if I escalates otherwise next service.
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #6089
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawggg View Post
I've replaced mine with loctite and it was fine for a couple thou kms and then it started seeping again. I've been riding it with the tiny amount seeping because I couldn't be bothered. I'll do it if I escalates otherwise next service.
I have this tiny leak since the very first thousand kms, I was worried at that time just because I did know nothing about the issue.
I got over it since I have read about it here. Nothing done, now my bike is 45.000Kms (28.150mi), and let me tell you that the leak is sensibly smaller than before... almost no leak really. KTM does auto healing bikes???

May be external dust and other materials may have been re sealing the side glass? I don't really know.

Cheers!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #6090
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
The big danger with the sight glass is not having it pop out and losing some engine oil. The real danger is having it pop in. This happened with a mate of mine and the sight glass merrily took no prisoners in destroying internals. Is it the stator windings on that end of the crankshaft? I seem to recall the resulting issues were electrical, but it was a few years ago and my memory is failing.

If it were me, I would not hesitate to remove the cover, pop the sight glass in on my own terms and in the convenience of my garage, and fix it properly with Loctite. If it leaks again, do it again and again until you've got it right. Just because one person (or a hundred for that matter) hasn't had any issues after 45,000 km's with a leaking sight glass, doesn't mean it isn't going to bite you. JMHO of course.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote