User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #6181
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
FMF Q4 Exhaust going on this weekend!!

Finally pulled the trigger on an FMF Q4 exhaust for my 07 640A. Anyone here done this upgrade and if so, did you have to play with the carb jetting?

I'm looking forward to dropping what I imagine will be more than a few pounds off the ass end! And I mean the bike's not mine!
sjeproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #6182
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeproductions View Post
Finally pulled the trigger on an FMF Q4 exhaust for my 07 640A. Anyone here done this upgrade and if so, did you have to play with the carb jetting?

I'm looking forward to dropping what I imagine will be more than a few pounds off the ass end! And I mean the bike's not mine!
Mine had an Akrapovic slip-on, and it was always run with the dB insert, and later an FMF spark arrestor insert, which had a larger opening, but was probably just about as restrictive, and more important to me, equally quiet as the dB inert, and while maybe not quieter than the stock exhaust (I would bet it was, but I never had it tested. At the very least, it was less offensive sounding than the stock muffler). It is way too loud with either insert out.

I'm at 2500', and my carb was jetted stock, and ran perfect. Your experience may be different, but I could not have asked for a better running bike.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #6183
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Mine had an Akrapovic slip-on, and it was always run with the dB insert, and later an FMF spark arrestor insert, which had a larger opening, but was probably just about as restrictive, and more important to me, equally quiet as the dB inert, and while maybe not quieter than the stock exhaust (I would bet it was, but I never had it tested. At the very least, it was less offensive sounding than the stock muffler). It is way too loud with either insert out.

I'm at 2500', and my carb was jetted stock, and ran perfect. Your experience may be different, but I could not have asked for a better running bike.

Thanks for the 411 and I am going with fingers crossed on having to mod the carb. the stock exhaust was slightly bored out before I got it and everything seems to run great, so I guess I'll know shortly after i make the change.

Any idea how much weight you saved when you made the swap?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #6184
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeproductions View Post
Thanks for the 411 and I am going with fingers crossed on having to mod the carb. the stock exhaust was slightly bored out before I got it and everything seems to run great, so I guess I'll know shortly after i make the change.

Any idea how much weight you saved when you made the swap?
I didn't do the swap, but the Akra weighs nothing, and the stock one is heavy. Hope that helps. I'm about to pull the trigger on an FMF Q4 for my 525 EXC. Same problem, while not much louder than the FMF on a friend's bike, it certainly has more of an offensive raspy bark. I'd rather be stealth than make a shit load of noise. Spring is finally here, so already have a bunch of dicks on harleys making noise around here, that and big diesels with 6 inch exhausts flooring it everywhere they go. I hate noise!!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #6185
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I didn't do the swap, but the Akra weighs nothing, and the stock one is heavy. Hope that helps. I'm about to pull the trigger on an FMF Q4 for my 525 EXC. Same problem, while not much louder than the FMF on a friend's bike, it certainly has more of an offensive raspy bark. I'd rather be stealth than make a shit load of noise. Spring is finally here, so already have a bunch of dicks on harleys making noise around here, that and big diesels with 6 inch exhausts flooring it everywhere they go. I hate noise!!
Appreciate the response. I'll pull out the scale, mostly because I am curious.

As for noise, i agree, but I've found a quality helmet and earplugs do wonders for loud pipes!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #6186
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,394
Talking

Quote:
B-Rod.

When you get the FMF on your 525 let me know and take photos.

Here is my dilemma. I have a Pro circuit T-4 exhaust on my 520. It is obnoxiously very loud.

It makes me sick riding it around town it's so loud. And to top it off I ride it 50 miles one way to the nearest OHV park here in Iowa. Well anyway I have a PMB rear rack and the PO had to put a "dent" in the top of the pipe so it would clear the bottom of the rack mount. I tried to re-pack the silencer but can't get the stupid thing apart thanks to that dent.

I want to get an FMF Q-4 as well. If somebody or yourself B-rod, has a photo of a PMB rack with a Q-4 installed I would like to see it.

I DON'T want to have to put a "dent" in a brand new Q-4.

I will gladly take your stock exhaust and I will give you my T-4.

Will the stock exhaust even fit?????

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #6187
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
I might have to get one of those FMF spark arresters for my Akra, it's way louder than I want too.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #6188
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 549
I was at the IMS and asked the Akra guy about SA for my 640A with KTM/Akra 57305079400 silencer. He called KTM North America and the have a SA for an ATV Akra that will fit. The part number for the insert is SXS07250518 and can be purchased through any KTM dealer. It does not have the USFS stamp but it is a spark arrestor and will pass the "stick" test. I put one on my bike. It acts as a db insert as well. I don't know anyone a plated bike that has ever been checked.

I do have an FMF approved SA I never mounted that I'd sell to any one interested.

Ed

EdGear screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 02:51 PM Reason: spelling
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #6189
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
I was at the IMS and asked the Akra guy about SA for my 640A with KTM/Akra 57305079400 silencer. He called KRM North America and the have a SA for an ATV Akra that will fit. The part number for the insert is SXS07250518 and can be purchased through any KTM dealer. It does not have the USFS stamp but it is a spark arrestor and will pass the "stick" test. I put one on my bike. It acts as a db insert as well. I don't know anyone a plated bike that has ever been checked.

I do have an FMF approved SA I never mounted that I'd sell to any one interested.

Ed

Ed, do you have to modify the Akra to use the FMF SA? I'm interested as I recently found out that I'm not legal pm me with price etc...
Thanks,
Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #6190
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerst View Post
Ed, do you have to modify the Akra to use the FMF SA? I'm interested as I recently found out that I'm not legal pm me with price etc...
Thanks,
Gerst
Gerst, everything to do the install is in my post above with fancy pics.

I would be sure to use the FMF as it is USFS stamped, unlike the other part EdGear is listing numbers for, but I would definitely grab the FMF one he is offering. The part number and description of the FMF insert are in the photo below.

I did the install above, and no, nothing needs to be modified. You will need to elongate the hole on the SA to get it to line up with the hole in the Akra. I did a write-up earlier in this thread. It is not a perfect fit, but the strip of high temp silicone made it very tight.

B-Rod screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 08:53 AM
B-Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #6191
erdsh
KTM 640 Adventure

Oddometer: 104
KTM 640 ADV 2001 fuel pump

Hello,
need advice regardin the fuel pump.
the problem is like this, about 5L or so before the end of the fuel, the engnie will stall. if I add even 1 liter it will start and run with no problem.
The fuel tap was dismental and cleand and it is OK. when in open position it lets the fuel flow, when it ends, I change to RES and it flows with no probles.
The fuel pump was cleaned and tested, it flows the fuel well. I even replaced the outlet fuel line, for testing, and it pushed the fuel to a hight of over 1 M on top of the fuel tank.
The carb was dismental and rebuil in the dealers shop.
However, a few liters before the RES, the engine would stall and the fuel will not flow to the carb. If I add just a little amount of fuel, it will start with no problem.
I replaced the fuel lins and vacum line, and checked, it looks OK.

The Q: WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR ? WHAT SHOULD I CHECK? WHAT IS WRONG?

Thanks.
TT600R
KTM300EXC
CR125
YZ125
and many other...
erdsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #6192
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,394
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdsh View Post
Hello,
need advice regardin the fuel pump.
the problem is like this, about 5L or so before the end of the fuel, the engnie will stall. if I add even 1 liter it will start and run with no problem.
The fuel tap was dismental and cleand and it is OK. when in open position it lets the fuel flow, when it ends, I change to RES and it flows with no probles.
The fuel pump was cleaned and tested, it flows the fuel well. I even replaced the outlet fuel line, for testing, and it pushed the fuel to a hight of over 1 M on top of the fuel tank.
The carb was dismental and rebuil in the dealers shop.
However, a few liters before the RES, the engine would stall and the fuel will not flow to the carb. If I add just a little amount of fuel, it will start with no problem.
I replaced the fuel lins and vacum line, and checked, it looks OK.

The Q: WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR ? WHAT SHOULD I CHECK? WHAT IS WRONG?

Thanks.
Same thing happened to me the other day.

Same year of 640.

All I did was open the right side petcock (as your sitting on the bike) and also turned on the left side to reserve. I didn't have the right side on thinking I wouldn't need to use that side of the tank. WRONG.

Started right up and got me the 25 miles to the nearest god awful expensive gas pump.

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #6193
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 549
I have the same exact FMF part 040288, brand new, opened bag, with 2 FMF stickers and catalog request card. I'll pm you Gerst.
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #6194
erdsh
KTM 640 Adventure

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Same thing happened to me the other day.

Same year of 640.

All I did was open the right side petcock (as your sitting on the bike) and also turned on the left side to reserve. I didn't have the right side on thinking I wouldn't need to use that side of the tank. WRONG.

Started right up and got me the 25 miles to the nearest god awful expensive gas pump.
I keep the right side petcock allways open. and when I tried what you're sugesting it didnt work.
Does anyone knows the pressure the fuel pump should supply? it is not written anywhere.
TT600R
KTM300EXC
CR125
YZ125
and many other...
erdsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #6195
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdsh View Post
I keep the right side petcock allways open. and when I tried what you're sugesting it didnt work.
Does anyone knows the pressure the fuel pump should supply? it is not written anywhere.

Ekhm… perhaps the tank vent line is blocked or kinked?
Alik is offline   Reply With Quote