Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #6316
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica View Post
Ignore the girlish observations about cleaning the bike.........

Yeah, you should'a washed it before wrenching but that's the way a properly used Adv should look like!

M.

just for the wrenching mine is clean BTW... no garage queen here...
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #6317
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
just for the wrenching mine is clean BTW... no garage queen here...

I know.....just messing with ya boys.....!
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #6318
DobroDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Dirtbike Bling

Bought a 1999 with some serious rock rash on the tank...Rhino Liner Solar coating and a Dakar Decal.
Attached Images

DobroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #6319
GJRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Question Not receiving fuel

I took the carb(bst40) apart, cleaned it and put it back together. I also installed a new petcock. Put the bike back together and it wouldn't start. It is turning over. I then pulled the 17mm drain bolt on the bottom of the float bowl to see if there was any fuel and nothing, dry. I also made sure fuel came out of the fuel line with the new petcock turned on, it did. So no fuel is making it from the pump to the carb. What do I need to do? Did I miss something? How does the fuel pump on these bikes work?

GJRider screwed with this post 05-20-2011 at 10:30 PM
GJRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #6320
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJRider View Post
I took the carb(bst40) apart, cleaned it and put it back together. I also installed a new petcock. Put the bike back together and it wouldn't start. It is turning over. I then pulled the 17mm drain bolt on the bottom of the float bowl to see if there was any fuel and nothing, dry. I also made sure fuel came out of the fuel line with the new petcock turned on, it did. So no fuel is making it from the pump to the carb. What do I need to do? Did I miss something? How does the fuel pump on these bikes work?

First thing...........did you put fuel in the tank???
Did the carb go back together properly?

The fuel pump is vacuum operated.......there is one hose from the cylinder head that goes to the fuel pump to operate it.

Could you have mixed up the fuel/vacuum lines?

After I rebuilt my carb, I installed a small fuel tank that hung off of the bars.

It went straight to the carb......that allowed me to do some fine tuning, but also eliminated the fuel pump. You could try something like that to see that the carb rebuild is ok.

If the bike starts, then hook the lines back up to the fuel pump.......if it still does not run......then the pump is bad.

Cheers
Old 05-21-2011, 04:28 AM   #6321
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,353
Question Well, having screwed a couple up myself, ...

Quote:
??? ... Stuck float valve or improper float level are the first thoughts that came to my mind, assuming the fuel pump's working.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #6322
GJRider
Adventurer

Thanks guys, that's a good idea! I will isolate the fuel to the carb and see if that works then try it through the pump again. I will also check that vaccume hose and make sure it is correct and doesn't have any cracks in it.... yes it does have fuel
Old 05-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #6323
GJRider
Adventurer

It's working now! First I hooked the fuel line to the carb, kicked this sh!t out of it for awhile(because I pretty much drained the battery the night before) and it worked eventually. Then I hooked it back to the fuel pump and it worked. So who knows, maybe the whole system was just really dry.
A question though, when I run it around the block for a minute it still does the deceleration backfiring. It still has the stock 142.5 main jet, 45 idle jet. The bike has the ktm racing air box side cover and big gun exhaust. I'm at about 4700' elevation. Do I really need to mess with the jets or can I use "Loaded's" air/fuel mixture screw that I have on there?? Just trying to learn the ins and outs of this thing, it is my first carb. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #6324
GJRider
Adventurer

Fawk this bike! I ride it again down the street and forget to open the petcock so it dies. Then I try to use the e-start button and it gets stuck and kills the battery. So I disconnect the lights and can't kick start. Some man comes and tries to push start me, but that doesn't work, so I push it a 1/4 mile up hill to get it home. Wait awhile and try to kick it again...not going to happen. WTF!!!! Should've just traded in the harley and bought a new bike
Old 05-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #6325
bisbonian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005

First ride after reassembly and first ride since I brought this bike home

99 model, stock

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #6326
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,472
Thumb

Quote:
Fawk this bike! I ride it again down the street and forget to open the petcock so it dies. Then I try to use the e-start button and it gets stuck and kills the battery. So I disconnect the lights and can't kick start. Some man comes and tries to push start me, but that doesn't work, so I push it a 1/4 mile up hill to get it home. Wait awhile and try to kick it again...not going to happen. WTF!!!! Should've just traded in the harley and bought a new bike
I will take it off your hands no problem!

I will even come and get it!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #6327
DisparVulgo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
New here

Hi everybody,
after joining the forum a couple off months ago, it's time for my first(second) post. I own 2 Cagiva Elefants 900 IE, i know, i know, i'm in the wrong thread, but since 4 months something else came to join the troops, a 2004 640 Adventure.
So i sign in, just been using it for short trips for the moment
A few pics tell more then,...

By farabees at 2011-01-30

By farabees at 2011-01-30
And a group picture

By farabees at 2011-03-24
Greetings Mark
DisparVulgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #6328
GJRider
Adventurer

Finally got it working...again. Hopefully now it will stay running. I'll see after a couple of days running it around town. I did come to the conclusion that the starter buttom does need to come apart and be cleaned. It seldom seems to make a connection.
On a different note, when you guys disconnect your headlights for starting on a low battery does it turn off the radiator fans as well? I found out that mine did and shortly after running it to charge up the battery a bit she was boiling the coolant Needless to say I figured that one out in a hurry! Live and Learn
Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #6329
GJRider
Adventurer

Disparvulgo- Nice looking bikes you have there! Welcome back. I like my bike it's just frustrating working out all the bugs from the previous owner. It was well used
Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #6330
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,589
DisparVulgo (sheesh, get a shorter name ) that bike seems to be a 2003 model, they are usually good ones.

Is yours smooth or a paint-shaker?
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote