Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #6451
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,285
Ever been to the hardware store and heard a paint shaker?

It's not the noise you need to worry about, it's any change in the noise.

If you`re really worried, take it to a KTM shop. looks like Parker bros. might be good.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #6452
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Signing in here - new ADV rider based in Toronto, Ontario. I picked up an '05 640 Adventure with some mods and plenty of scratches :)

Damn, is the engine supposed to be that noisy? It sounds like gremlins rolling around in there with mini sledge hammers...

I'll post some pictures soon.
I ride with ear plugs most of the time.

First time I rode without ear plugs on the 640 I stopped about 10 times thinking the things was going to blow up!!

Seriously, they are a noisy engine. If you are worried try and find another owner and listen to his/hers. Depending on kms done, it could be getting near time to look at the cam follower bearings (you ain't heard noisy until these let go). Do a search on here for a few threads on the replacement of these.

OH, and welcome to the 640 Club. Had mine 2.5 years (2005 640 A) and love it.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #6453
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post

If you`re really worried, take it to a KTM shop. looks like Parker bros. might be good.
both my 525 and 640 came from Parker Bros, I've always found Dave great to deal with
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:40 AM   #6454
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post

I happened to be at Parker Bros picking up some parts yesterday afternoon when another LC4 based bike showed up (early Duke) and what would you know...another bucket of loose bolts :) Guess the noises are quite normal. OK, I'll chalk it up as being character. The oil seaping is also bothering me a bit. I changed out the two o-rings that go on those machined "caps" on the cylinder head becuase I could see oil coming from there after rides but I'm sure there's more coming from elsewhere. I have been thinking that perhaps crankcase ventilation isn't as good as it needs to be and when I'm bussing along at 5500 rpm for periods of time, crankcase pressure builds and pushes oil out of every orifice...I'll search the forum for ideas but if you guys have any opinions/advice, I' m all ears...

Thanks again,

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #6455
markuska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Here is my 03 640 Adventure. Used to be a silver one. Now, after 51000 km, she got a new colour and a some other goodies...

Greetings
Markus
Attached Images

markuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #6456
markuska
Adventurer

Here is another one...
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #6457
markuska
Adventurer

and one more...
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #6458
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Whuh oh....

Put my spark Arrester back in my bike and noticed where I THOUGHT I had the NON-silenced insert in, I didn't...

So..... I swapped in the NON-Silenced and OM FG its LOUD. AHAHAHAHA !

Like a new hockey/baseball card in my spokes !

I so love this bike ! (I'll see if I can get a video or sound bite up)

KTM - Making grown men feel like kids ALL over again.

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU

Coho911 screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 10:32 PM
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #6459
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I changed out the two o-rings that go on those machined "caps" on the cylinder head becuase I could see oil coming from there after rides but I'm sure there's more coming from elsewhere. I have been thinking that perhaps crankcase ventilation isn't as good as it needs to be and when I'm bussing along at 5500 rpm for periods of time, crankcase pressure builds and pushes oil out of every orifice...I'll search the forum for ideas but if you guys have any opinions/advice, I' m all ears...
What year bike, and mileage? Mine became very rattly in the top end when the cam follower bearings failed (as someone's already mentioned, I see).

The crankcase ventilation is fine - you have a problem. Quite possibly it is the well-known cam cover leak, usually above the left exhaust port. Search the index, there's a thread. There's also a thread on what it could be if it's not that - bless Creeper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #6460
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
I'm looking at an '07 640 and after a short ride the engine noise is very disconserting. A lot like my wr450 only worse.
My question are
:
Where can I get some bar risers that are a good 2 inches higher and put the handlebar a bit forward of the stock position? At 5'10" the cockpit is very cramped for me as I ride up on the tank like an MX bike and stand up a lot. Also this bike has a slip-on and has not been jetted. This guy has been riding this bike lean for 15,000 miles(which scares me some) and the decel popping is bad. The valves were checked at about 8,000 miles. so I figure that's a must.

Is it normal for this motor to spin up off the bottom more like a Harly than a dirtbike? At 350 lbs I figured it would be a bit of a dog but it surprised me at how the acceleration was so slow. Over say 2k rpms it started to get it done pretty good but that first 0-1500 rpms was weak. Keep in mind I've never ridden a tank like this before so I don't really have anything to compare it to.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #6461
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
I'm looking at an '07 640 and after a short ride the engine noise is very disconserting. A lot like my wr450 only worse.
My question are
:
Where can I get some bar risers that are a good 2 inches higher and put the handlebar a bit forward of the stock position? At 5'10" the cockpit is very cramped for me as I ride up on the tank like an MX bike and stand up a lot. Also this bike has a slip-on and has not been jetted. This guy has been riding this bike lean for 15,000 miles(which scares me some) and the decel popping is bad. The valves were checked at about 8,000 miles. so I figure that's a must.

Is it normal for this motor to spin up off the bottom more like a Harly than a dirtbike? At 350 lbs I figured it would be a bit of a dog but it surprised me at how the acceleration was so slow. Over say 2k rpms it started to get it done pretty good but that first 0-1500 rpms was weak. Keep in mind I've never ridden a tank like this before so I don't really have anything to compare it to.
They can sound like a bucket of bolts, so bear that in mind. You can get bar risers like Stenhouse. He has regular risers on his site as well as this sub-mount riser.

If I still had mine, I'd be seriously thinking about an FCR carb to liven it up of the bottom. The BST is a vacuum carb, so they can be a little late in responding to your immediate needs.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #6462
ak-15
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wink Ktm sxc 625

Yeah, that's right. I have a KTM SXC 625, no mods, just trying to keep up on maintenance. She wheelies in third gear.
ak-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #6463
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
My question are
:
I have the Stenhouse risers and the ROX risers on mine. The ROX are good as they allow you to move the handlebars up and forward (or back). You may need longer cables. I had to replace the decomp with an earlier model (which is longer), but the throttle cables will work with a bit of re-routing and spinning the throttle house so the cable exit from the bottom.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #6464
mike cramb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
My question are
:

Hi Sparrow,

They need a bit of tuning to get the best out of the BST 40 carb. Throw away all the polution plumbing and jet it up and it will have around a 30% increase in power. There are plenty of threads in here on how to do it what to remove and blank off. Mine goes extremely well and is quicker than a freinds who is running a pumper carb much to his dismay. They do sound like they are about to explode at any moment but you get used to this. Other problems to look for are bent rims the originsal beher rims a soft as $&!^ and will soon look like and Aussie 50c piece. Go for double stamp excell's but these still get bent if you ride hard over rough country. Spring rates are set at factory for a 75 kilo rider and are way to soft if you are around 80 to 90 kg you will need to upgrade the springs. I am 5'10 and dont run any bar risers at all but I do have long arms. (heavy school bag when young or maybee just a knuckel dragger! ) I stand up a lot and have rotated the bars back a bit. My friends 6 ' and has 1'' bar risers. Plenty of riser kits available some with steering dampner. Accelleration should be good check the gearing if standard from factory gear it down a a couple of teeth at the rear if you are riding off road. Mine will power wheelie without any problems. decel popping is controlled by a valve and part of the polution stuff you throw away so maybe this bike has had some but not all the mods. I have raced mine as a Rallye bike and now its retired and used for trail and adventure riding. I dont know of a better bike to do long range trail riding its fast ,comfy and handles very well for its size. It can be along way between fuel stations over here so the 400 kilometer range is very handy as well.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #6465
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
After seeing that sweet white/black adv,, got me thinking about creepers white adventure.. does anybody have any pictures of that when she was all finished.. I searched and only saw some early white/black pics,, no all whites with the custom seat.. That one was his I believe? if not I'm sure somebody knows who's that would be.. I sold my 625sxc for a 450exc and regret ever doing so.. sure its better off road.. but I just got word I have disc issues in my L4-5 and may not be able to ride as aggressive as I was for quite some time.. Something I could ride a bit farther on the slab would be really nice.. and the 640adv is such a great bike..... yes I'm kicking myself.. my LC4 was super fun.. and the new owner said no about selling her back..
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote