Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #6496
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
I'm not entirely certain that the original centre stand will Bolt onto an early bike.
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #6497
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
I know this bike is beautiful and has been posted many times.

My question is--where does one get the gray center stand with the handy lever attached to the left leg so you can get the heavy critter up on the center stand easier?

I have a 2001 and it does not have that, I have seen it on the 07's but being it is gray are they available that way on the 2003's???

And if so, is there really a reason that a 2003 center stand wouldn't fit on my 2001???

Thanks in advance.
The 2003 center stand will fit your 01...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #6498
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
i have a center stand that i dont use. if you want i would certainly part with it for a decent price. send me a PM and we will work something out.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #6499
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Is it possible (THEORETICALLY ) to install the engine with gearbox from 690 on LC4 Adv?
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #6500
clarky
05' 640 Adv

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Is it possible (THEORETICALLY ) to install the engine with gearbox from 690 on LC4 Adv?
Not that sure that you would want to even if it did fit.....they have proven to be one of the most unreliable bikes around (all problems with the EFI) in Aus.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #6501
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 601
Picked up an 02 640A from the ADV Flea Market last week. It's at the suspenderers now getting taken care of. I have a TAT departure set for the first week of September and hope to have 1k miles of shakedown on it. Pic of the initial cleanup. NVTS

NVTS screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 05:18 AM
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #6502
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS View Post
Picked up an 02 640A from the ADV Flea Market last week. It's at the suspenderers now getting taken care of. I have a TAT departure set for the first week of September and hope to have 1k miles of shakedown on it. Pic of the initial cleanup. NVTS
Nice bikie-

You're gonna need a tank with a little more range for the TAT than you have now.

Dirty
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #6503
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS View Post
nice one!
is that a carbon muffler or is it covered with mud?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #6504
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 601
Nice bikie-

You're gonna need a tank with a little more range for the TAT than you have now.

Dirty

I was thinking a few of those fuel bottles would do. The ADV is complete, I was deep into cleaning and pic taking, not as much.
Carbon can indeed. PO frankenbuilt this can from a ZX-10 superbike exhaust. Weighs about 12lb less than the stocker; seems to run good with it too. NVTS
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #6505
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

hey inmates!
I'm looking for a pair of new tires now and can't decide:
previously i had Pirelli MT21 90/90/21 on front (covered almost 10k km's of mixed roads and trails) and 140/80/18 Pirelli Scorpion Rally on rear (around 6k km's and it still has some grip for next 500-750 km's).
I'm very satisfied with this combination except few things:
1. MT21 sometimes seems a bit soft (especially in rocky conditions and on huge potholes while doing baaaaad roads)
2. Scorpion Rally's size by charts is ok, but I think it's little bit wider then it should, looks like it "touches" the chain guard and I'm not sure is it ok
There is few options for my next set:
1. If I decide to put Scorpion Rally on rear again then I will put the front this model also. Yes they are absolutely not cheap but I think they worth the money
2. Try something absolutely different. I need the tires with good mileage at least 4k km's and good grip on the off-road. Also it should handle weight because I will be traveling with my hard luggage fully equipped for 2-3 weeks. Any tips and recommendations about this option?

I tried already Metz's Enduro 3 Sahara both front and rear - nice grip but low mileage; and MT21 both front and rear - fantastic grip but even less mileage on the rear
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #6506
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Wink

Quote:
hey inmates!
previously i had Pirelli MT21 90/90/21 on front (covered almost 10k km's of mixed roads and trails) and 140/80/18 Pirelli Scorpion Rally on rear (around 6k km's and it still has some grip for next 500-750 km's).
1. MT21 sometimes seems a bit soft (especially in rocky conditions and on huge potholes while doing baaaaad roads)
2. Scorpion Rally's size by charts is ok, but I think it's little bit wider then it should, looks like it "touches" the chain guard and I'm not sure is it ok
1. If I decide to put Scorpion Rally on rear again then I will put the front this model also. Yes they are absolutely not cheap but I think they worth the money
2. Try something absolutely different. I need the tires with good mileage at least 4k km's and good grip on the off-road. Also it should handle weight because I will be traveling with my hard luggage fully equipped for 2-3 weeks. Any tips and recommendations about this option?

I tried already Metz's Enduro 3 Sahara both front and rear - nice grip but low mileage; and MT21 both front and rear - fantastic grip but even less mileage on the rear
My experience with Metz Sahara Enduro 3: 11.000 Kms starting at
Neuquén to La Quiaca (30% offroad),
Bolivia (90% offroad),
Perú (30% offroad),
Chile (20% offroad),
Neuquén (10% offroad),
with two KTM sidecases and a topcase, all full loaded.
Plus: 2.000 Kms 30% offroad Neuquén-Horno Pirén (Chile)-Neuquén, and local use.

This means 13.000Kms ... it's not a bad life span...

I'm an enduro rider and it was a tough decission between these tires and the knobies Metz Karoo to go up to Machu Pichu, but I think it was good not to have worried about tire changes (if i used knobs) or to have been carrying spare tires most of the trip. Just had to be more carefull offroad 'cause I can't accelerate too much to gain grip to drive the corners as I do with my beloved knobs....

Perhaps you prefer to change tires earlier with half use or something like that? the replacement moment may difere between riders a lot.

I hope this can help you.
Cheers!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #6507
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
My experience with Metz Sahara Enduro 3: 11.000 Kms starting at
Neuquén to La Quiaca (30% offroad),
Bolivia (90% offroad),
Perú (30% offroad),
Chile (20% offroad),
Neuquén (10% offroad),
with two KTM sidecases and a topcase, all full loaded.
Plus: 2.000 Kms 30% offroad Neuquén-Horno Pirén (Chile)-Neuquén, and local use.

This means 13.000Kms ... it's not a bad life span...

I'm an enduro rider and it was a tough decission between these tires and the knobies Metz Karoo to go up to Machu Pichu, but I think it was good not to have worried about tire changes (if i used knobs) or to have been carrying spare tires most of the trip. Just had to be more carefull offroad 'cause I can't accelerate too much to gain grip to drive the corners as I do with my beloved knobs....

Perhaps you prefer to change tires earlier with half use or something like that? the replacement moment may difere between riders a lot.

I hope this can help you.
Cheers!
thanks a lot for reply!
I love knobs too so it's a hard decision for me to swap them to Sahara's again
one more question, did you have 130/80 or 140/80 on the rear wheel?
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #6508
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
thanks a lot for reply!
I love knobs too so it's a hard decision for me to swap them to Sahara's again
one more question, did you have 130/80 or 140/80 on the rear wheel?
Hey bigboyxl !
I always use 140/80, since is the size it came my bike from factory with. I have never had a problem, except once in the Pacific coast, Chile, when I had to ride it flat... it does touch the chain protection if it's flat! I still have the "eaten" protector in use.
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #6509
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
hey inmates!

Look into either the continental TKC 80's or cheaper yet are the Mefo Big blocks if I remember correctly.

That's all I run on my 640 adv.

90/90-21 front and 140/80-18 rear.

No clearance issues.

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #6510
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Hey bigboyxl !
I always use 140/80, since is the size it came my bike from factory with. I have never had a problem, except once in the Pacific coast, Chile, when I had to ride it flat... it does touch the chain protection if it's flat! I still have the "eaten" protector in use.
thnx again for the info liferider!
did you have many punctures on your Great Run?