Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #6511
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Look into either the continental TKC 80's or cheaper yet are the Mefo Big blocks if I remember correctly.

That's all I run on my 640 adv.

90/90-21 front and 140/80-18 rear.

No clearance issues.
i was considering TKC's also, what mileage did you cover on them? how hard are they? what about "puncture resistance"?
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #6512
Sweat-n-Dust
n00b

Oddometer: 0
690 Enduro R mods

I have a 2010 that I use 30/70 road/offroad. Offroad includes lots of wooded single track hills, creeks, and rock along with some fast field roads and fire roads I also do some track riding. After riding the bike for a while I did the following mods that help a great deal in the woods and don't hurt the road ride too much. The Corbin saddle makes it easier to straddle the ride for long enough to determine what setup actually improved performance. At 6'3" I needed a 2-inch handlebar riser (Rox), I changed the final gearing to 15x51 using a steel rear sprocket and a 120 link chain, and I remapped the ignition to the softest (1) selection. I softened te low-speed dampening on the shock and stiffened to the high-speed. I stiffened the dampening and rebound on the forks.
Sweat-n-Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #6513
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
thnx again for the info liferider!
did you have many punctures on your Great Run?
Punctures: just one, and guess what... it was a small glass splinter which was traped between the tube and the tire during the assembling of the new set of tires and tubes before the departure!!! It was working and working onto the tube for 2.500kms and then ... it achieved the hole it was meant for .
Should I say I brought a potential puncture from home? I think I can even say I didn't have punctures on the road...

I was lucky anyway, considering the amount of kms; but I must say I hope I have helped my good luck with the Reinforced Enduro Regina Tubes I have specially used for that trip. They are not cheap, but very thick, good tubes.
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #6514
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,418
Thumb

Quote:
i was considering TKC's also, what mileage did you cover on them? how hard are they? what about "puncture resistance"?
Here's the 411 on the continentals with me.

I have probably 50000 miles on 3 different bikes with those tires.

On my 1200 GS Adventure I was getting 10000 out of a rear, 2 up riding, 42 PSI. Front was getting 12000 or more with 40 psi.

BMW G650X challenge I used those tires pretty much for 13000 out of the 16000 miles. I made the mistake of using a Karoo on my trip out to West Fest last year and she barely made the trip from Iowa and back. Actually it was very dangerous to ride her home. 30 psi front and 32 psi rear. Was getting 8000 out of the rear and 10000 out of the front. Then I switched to MT -21's and sold the X challenge.

And lastly my 640. Have 6000 miles on the bike so far from the new engine rebuild. Same front and the rear is pretty much at 25% left. Run 30 psi front and 32 psi rear.

I have never ever had a puncture on any of the three bikes. I run heavy duty tubes and the GS is tubeless. Love these tires. 60% offroad and 40% on road tread. Excellent for cornering and wet pavement. Won't run anything else on the 640!

Try em you will like em!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #6515
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Laugh

Quote:
hey inmates!
I'm looking for a pair of new tires now and can't decide
..for ME the best allaround on/offroad tire is the metzeler KAROO T -

after trying, mt21, t63, tkc 80 etc.

specialy the front i like much more then the tkc- in my opinion it does everything better- and the carkass is stronger too...

just my 2cents...

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:44 AM   #6516
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,995
D606 for me. They outlast everything else. MT21s work well, but have 1/2 to 1/3 the life of the D606. Never tried Karoos, just watched them evaporate on other guys' bikes. TKC 80s seem to work ok on the road, but Christ they are expensive. The reason I tried one on the front of my R80ST was my buddy took it off his R1150GS after the rear disappeared in 1200 miles.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #6517
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 281
Eh? Tires

Has anyone tried the Perialli Scorpion Rally , they say thay are very good??????????????
Tezza
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #6518
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Punctures: just one, and guess what... it was a small glass splinter which was traped between the tube and the tire during the assembling of the new set of tires and tubes before the departure!!! It was working and working onto the tube for 2.500kms and then ... it achieved the hole it was meant for .
Should I say I brought a potential puncture from home? I think I can even say I didn't have punctures on the road...

I was lucky anyway, considering the amount of kms; but I must say I hope I have helped my good luck with the Reinforced Enduro Regina Tubes I have specially used for that trip. They are not cheap, but very thick, good tubes.
I'm using maxxis extra heavy duty tubes and so far had no issues with them
they seem to be really thick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Here's the 411 on the continentals with me.

I have probably 50000 miles on 3 different bikes with those tires.

On my 1200 GS Adventure I was getting 10000 out of a rear, 2 up riding, 42 PSI. Front was getting 12000 or more with 40 psi.

BMW G650X challenge I used those tires pretty much for 13000 out of the 16000 miles. I made the mistake of using a Karoo on my trip out to West Fest last year and she barely made the trip from Iowa and back. Actually it was very dangerous to ride her home. 30 psi front and 32 psi rear. Was getting 8000 out of the rear and 10000 out of the front. Then I switched to MT -21's and sold the X challenge.

And lastly my 640. Have 6000 miles on the bike so far from the new engine rebuild. Same front and the rear is pretty much at 25% left. Run 30 psi front and 32 psi rear.

I have never ever had a puncture on any of the three bikes. I run heavy duty tubes and the GS is tubeless. Love these tires. 60% offroad and 40% on road tread. Excellent for cornering and wet pavement. Won't run anything else on the 640!

Try em you will like em!
thnx for the info mxchamp, this will be one of my options for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izom View Post

specialy the front i like much more then the tkc- in my opinion it does everything better- and the carkass is stronger too...

just my 2cents...
thnx for sharing experience
I've heard this tires don't last long
anything in their defense? :)))
what average mileage per set and on which terrains?
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #6519
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
D606 for me. They outlast everything else. MT21s work well, but have 1/2 to 1/3 the life of the D606. Never tried Karoos, just watched them evaporate on other guys' bikes. TKC 80s seem to work ok on the road, but Christ they are expensive. The reason I tried one on the front of my R80ST was my buddy took it off his R1150GS after the rear disappeared in 1200 miles.
I thought D606 are only available 120/90-18, 130/90-18 and 130/90-17 sizes, which actually doesn't fit the 640 ADV
Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 AM   #6520
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA View Post
Has anyone tried the Perialli Scorpion Rally , they say thay are very good??????????????
Tezza
I had them on the rear, when I was buying there were no front available so I picked MT21 on the front.
Very good tire, fantastic feel of grip on high speed on off-road, I mean it. I was doing 120-140 km/h on gravel with rocks and potholes and it was just super!
The only minus as for me is the price: around 150 euro for rear and 110 euro for front one here in Czech rep.

If only I could find it somewhere cheaper...
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #6521
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
I thought D606 are only available 120/90-18, 130/90-18 and 130/90-17 sizes, which actually doesn't fit the 640 ADV
A 130 fits just fine. This is a 130, of which I have had three on this bike. Good tire, and 606 on the front as well.

Use this search and you will find tire discussions galore, or anything else on this site.

site:advrider.com 640 tires
site:advrider.com 640 D606
site:advrider.com (anything you can think of)

Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #6522
DobroDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
I had them on the rear, when I was buying there were no front available so I picked MT21 on the front.
Very good tire, fantastic feel of grip on high speed on off-road, I mean it. I was doing 120-140 km/h on gravel with rocks and potholes and it was just super!
The only minus as for me is the price: around 150 euro for rear and 110 euro for front one here in Czech rep.

If only I could find it somewhere cheaper...
Found several online sources (Amazon, BikeBandit, Motorcycle Superstore) were you can pick up a front and rear (140/80) for about 160 US.

Enjoy

DobroDog
DobroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #6523
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by izom

just my 2cents...

thnx for sharing experience
I've heard this tires don't last long
anything in their defense? :)))
what average mileage per set and on which terrains?
My knobs choice is Metz Karoo T, no doubt about it. They dig incredibly good into the dirt, they give you all the control to fully use the engine, they unleash the enduro bike soul the 640ADV has inside. Plus they perform so amazingly well on pavement (dry experience only), that I would say I do not note any relevant differences between them and a dual sport tire.
But yes, they do not last long...
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #6524
Hangar14
FKA: BendEuroMoto

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
My knobs choice is Metz Karoo T, no doubt about it. They dig incredibly good into the dirt, they give you all the control to fully use the engine, they unleash the enduro bike soul the 640ADV has inside. Plus they perform so amazingly well on pavement (dry experience only), that I would say I do not note any relevant differences between them and a dual sport tire.
But yes, they do not last long...
I love Karoo's too. They came on both of the new TE610's I had. I rode one to Laguna Seca taking the longest way possible from Bend Oregon with as much unpaved as possible. On the pavement I was able to chase down sportbikes.
The tire was new when I left home on it, and was bald when I got home.
I had a new rear left over from my old shop when I got my 640A. I threw it on, and bought a front to match, before ridiing from Chelan WA to Yellow Pine ID and back, with as much dirt as possible in between. I ended up having to do a bunchof long, straight, 75 MPH paved roads. The middle of the tire is pretty worn, but I will use it a while longer, at least until I take this bike on another trip. I have a new TKC 80 thats also a leftover, I was going to offer it for cheap to a friend, or on the forum, but I may try and see if it works with the Karoo on the front. Yes, I know, mixing tire brands and types, blah blah blah. I am probably the guy who told you that in the first place, all dealers do, we have to. But after seeing guys show up at my shop for 20 years with missmatched tires and claiming it worked just fine (like crusty BMW guys with 100's of thousands of miles on their asses) I am gonna use what I got.

D.
Hangar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #6525
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Wicked

...PLEASE GUYS!!!-

theres the OLD karoo: http://www.tremx.com/METZELER_MCE_KA...-110-12058.htm

which was a bad tire-

and theres the NEW KAROO T :

http://www.tremx.com/METZELER_KAROO_...-0316-0220.htm

you cannot compare these tires!!! the NEW karoo T is much better - specialy onroad-

greetz

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote