Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #6706
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by sws626 View Post
The hard luggage system is definitely an impressive piece of engineering. But the mounting brackets look like they were designed to cut your legs off.
They are definitely agressive... That's because of the design of these ones in particular. Clearly they wanted to give them more support to the cases, so they add a horizontal base to the classic vertical plane of the rack. But.... the consequential corners are really threatening when the cases are off

If someday you are looking for hard side cases, don't leave without evaluation the KTM's and the Touratech racks. They are corners rounded and have a vertical plane only. I use KTM myself, did thousands of offroad kms, never a rack problem, just one side case lock break (Bolivian's Altiplano off roads 1 - KTM's engineers 0 .... ).

Cheers!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #6707
sleipnir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
My new baby

Bought her yesterday from fellow inmate motowest. She's a gorgeous 2006 model with 5k on the clock but looks brand new, he really takes exquisite care of his bikes. I took the accompanying pic on the pacific coast highway, picked it up in San Jose and rode back to LA. Will eventually take her over to the east coast where we live, but for the next few days / weeks we're going to spend some quality time in the deserts around LA.

Awesome bike. Bloody amazing. Thanks motowest!
Attached Images

sleipnir screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 12:50 AM
sleipnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #6708
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Lucky!! that is one clean adventure! you riding the whole way back east??
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #6709
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
That is a nice clead 640!
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #6710
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,897
I wrote a long post about Touratech panniers and their failings and why I love mine.

The website ate it.

SO..............

Narrowed my racks, better locks, nylon plate on the inside to stop the wear on the aluminum(before it wore through.

Rode around the world with mine, Russia and Mongolia, Europe, Canada and the USA.

Here's a pic in the Alps with the KTM Comp pipe(pannier racks narrowed).
If the bars go the bags go!!!!!!

Touratech is so EURO.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 01:17 AM
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #6711
joekanter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Just wanted to say hi---

---been off the grid for a while. After a pretty good eat 10 months ago. Whacked a hip and soiled my shorts. Rims no longer round, paint no longer scratch free. But she rocks. After the eat, a great winter- one of the best snow boarding seasons, followed by life, Both very good and bad. I have been off my 640A for too long. Been riding now for a month and just wanted to say hi. I'm finding riding is therapy. Too bad it's so frigg'n dangerous. A shout out to Master Meat, ChrisC, BMWKTMBill, Dr.BillyBA, and Loadedagain to name a few who took time to be nice to the noob.
joekanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #6712
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekanter View Post
I'm finding riding is therapy.
AMEN brother! sunday is my day to blow off steam, refocus, goof off, see the guys, and get myself ready for monday. without it laramie would be a grumpy bear....

glad your back in the saddle.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #6713
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,838
How to find stuff in this (and other) mega threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Guys,
Maybe I misunderstand how things are supposed to work. I thought if we had a technical problems or questions I/we were supposed to start a new thread, not pile on this one.

For example I am presently experiencing a cooling problem...so I started a new thread asking for ideas and suggestions about what could be wrong.
bill
Hey Bill - and anyone wanting to find stuff in this mega 'KTM 640A sign in' thread (or other large threads), here's an idea which may help you find more info. Just try using this link below:

LINK TO FIND STUFF IN THE KTM 640A SIGN IN THREAD

Click on this and you'll see (in the google search window) the search terms used by google. The searched domain www.advrider.com and this forum's unique thread number for the 640 sign in thread, in this instance 35110, are used to ensure that only web pages which have this number and this domain URL written into them will be listed. I've also added fcr39 as a sample search term. Just like normal googling, you can combine or extract words and/or phrases to act as a powerful search filter. Hope this is of some help to folks in finding information buried deep within long threads.

'STRAYLIA!

Don't forget Oz!! There's another mega 640a sign in/technical thread over here which may be useful for those seeking resources; its over half the size of the Thumpers one. Have fun comparing the North vs the Southern hemisphere angles!

Oz 640A Thread Link Here.

Edit: PS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Here's a pic in the Alps with the KTM Comp pipe(pannier racks narrowed).
If the bars go the bags go!!!!!!

Touratech is so EURO.
I just used my search link to find this link showing when our three intrepid 640A riding Polish friends got those TTs Panniers for free!!

overlandr screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 10:43 AM
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #6714
sleipnir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
West to East

I'm seriously thinking about it. If I'm done here early enough I might ride across weather & conditions allowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
Lucky!! that is one clean adventure! you riding the whole way back east??
sleipnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #6715
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Overlander,
Thanks for the info.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #6716
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekanter View Post
---been off the grid for a while. After a pretty good eat 10 months ago. Whacked a hip and soiled my shorts. Rims no longer round, paint no longer scratch free. But she rocks. After the eat, a great winter- one of the best snow boarding seasons, followed by life, Both very good and bad. I have been off my 640A for too long. Been riding now for a month and just wanted to say hi. I'm finding riding is therapy. Too bad it's so frigg'n dangerous. A shout out to Master Meat, ChrisC, BMWKTMBill, Dr.BillyBA, and Loadedagain to name a few who took time to be nice to the noob.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #6717
mike cramb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Hi Meat

Long Time no see.

Just pulled the 640 out of the shed a few months back dusted her off and played around a bit. Fitted a twin remus exhaust and jetted her up to a 165. Goes like the clappers, looking forward to a ride across OZ around Christmas. Spent a bit of time in the BST bible and other how to do it threads. I'd be lost without ADV.

Mike
Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #6718
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,354
New to me!

Picked up a previously enjoyed 640 Adventure last week. It's great!

Old 09-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #6719
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oh, la la!!!

The best year...'02.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 09-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #6720
ford141
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Been lurking on here for a little while, figured it was time to say hi. I picked up this beauty 2 weeks ago and have been enjoying every minute of it so far. It's a 2001 LC4 with only 2000 miles on it, never dropped and never in the woods. Literally showroom clean. Shame it will probably never be this clean ever again, but I bought it to ride, so ride it I will!

I've put 400 miles on it so far and the knobby rear tire's days are very limited. Gonna put the original Metzler back on (he gave it to me with the bike) and see how it feels. I'm also planning to open the exhaust and intake and rejet it to maximize the combo.

A few questions if someone could help me: First of all, I've been playing with the suspension settings since I got it trying to get it dialed in a little better (likes to kick me in the ass a lot in the high-speed bumps), but when I tried to mess with the rebound setting on the forks, I could not get the right side rebound adjuster to move. Seems like it's locked up. Left side turned fine and clicks into any position I want, but the right side won't budge. Is this a common issue with these? How do I free it up? It can't be corroded since this thing has been meticulously cared for its entire life (bought it from the original owner).

Also, I'd like to add a set of handguards to it, but I can't seem to find much info on accesories for these. Can anyone recommend a good set that fits (aluminum berm buster style with plastic hand guard)?
ford141 is offline   Reply With Quote