mudonmymind

Oddometer: 455
Very nice
Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #6722
ptc05ADV
Looking for adventur

Oddometer: 484
Laugh Great trail picture!

Greetings from Eastern Ontario... Smiths falls.
Looking at a 640 myself...

Peter C

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Picked up a previously enjoyed 640 Adventure last week. It's great!

SOLD! 09 FZ-1 - my new "hoon" bike
SOLD! 06 KTM 950 ADV - The best ADV ride
ptc05ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #6723
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,906
Ford,

A few questions if someone could help me: First of all, I've been playing with the suspension settings since I got it trying to get it dialed in a little better (likes to kick me in the ass a lot in the high-speed bumps), but when I tried to mess with the rebound setting on the forks, I could not get the right side rebound adjuster to move. Seems like it's locked up. Left side turned fine and clicks into any position I want, but the right side won't budge. Is this a common issue with these? How do I free it up? It can't be corroded since this thing has been meticulously cared for its entire life (bought it from the original owner)

If you take the fork cap off you will be able to check the adjuster and push on the tube that moves the needle below.

They can get stuck and then you take the fork apart to fix it correctly.

Maybe this will help?

http://www.imarksweb.net/book/48mm+wp+suspension+specs/

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 01:17 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #6724
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Ford,

A few questions if someone could help me: First of all, I've been playing with the suspension settings since I got it trying to get it dialed in a little better (likes to kick me in the ass a lot in the high-speed bumps), but when I tried to mess with the rebound setting on the forks, I could not get the right side rebound adjuster to move. Seems like it's locked up. Left side turned fine and clicks into any position I want, but the right side won't budge. Is this a common issue with these? How do I free it up? It can't be corroded since this thing has been meticulously cared for its entire life (bought it from the original owner)

If you take the fork cap off you will be able to check the adjuster and push on the tube that moves the needle below.

They can get stuck and then you take the fork apart to fix it correctly.

Maybe this will help?

http://www.imarksweb.net/book/48mm+wp+suspension+specs/

bill
Bill, if the adjuster won't move at all, it sounds like the problem is some grit that's worked it's way into the cap and jammed up the adjuster or the ball detent that makes it click. I've had stuck rebound needles down in the fork (it's pretty common too), but usually it just means that no matter how much you click the adjusters, the needle doesn't spring back up from full hard. It can be hard to tell when it's happened.

Be careful when taking the cap apart, there are some little steel balls and a spring that do the detents, they can be easy to lose.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #6725
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Bill, if the adjuster won't move at all, it sounds like the problem is some grit that's worked it's way into the cap and jammed up the adjuster or the ball detent that makes it click. I've had stuck rebound needles down in the fork (it's pretty common too), but usually it just means that no matter how much you click the adjusters, the needle doesn't spring back up from full hard. It can be hard to tell when it's happened.

Be careful when taking the cap apart, there are some little steel balls and a spring that do the detents, they can be easy to lose.
Slack,
I agree, had my forks in pieces 3 -4 times.

My guess is the rebound needle is stuck. Perhaps he can work the internal tube under the adjuster to loosen it.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #6726
ford141
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the help guys, I guess it isn't just a simple fix, I'll have to take the time to tear it down and figure out the problem. I'll probably wait until riding season is over (only about a month until snow starts to fly) and pull them apart for a service. I'm really considering stiffer springs for the forks anyway, since this bike rides like a pogo stick off road and tends to blow through the travel on larger bumps. I'm trying to get it set up to handle a little better off road. On road it is a blast and handles very well besides some squirmy feeling from the rear knobby (it is almost toast though, only lasted 400miles, that's why you don't put a soft-compound dirt tire on a dual-sport).
ford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #6727
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Slack,
I agree, had my forks in pieces 3 -4 times.

My guess is the rebound needle is stuck. Perhaps he can work the internal tube under the adjuster to loosen it.
bill
Ah, I didn't catch that it wasn't you with the problem. The needle may or may not be stuck, but my money is still on the adjuster in the cap. Pretty quick to take it off.

Here's a thread I have going on my own fork revalve- same forks, but they're on my 950 adventure. I'm doing something inspired by the zerodog stack, with some changes of my own.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722590

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #6728
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Did the Z-dog thing, it is huge.

Put on a Scotts steering stabilizer, it's the hand of god.

Play with the oil height.

Make the rear shock work better and the front end will.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 10-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #6729
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,267
If it makes you guys feel any better I just got home from about 8000 km's out to go to the CroMag Campout in Barnard VT. The girl rode with me for a week and about a third of the mileage. Lots of fun but boy does my poor little machine need some TLC now. The subframe cracked somewhere yesterday on the last leg home. Good timing. This is the second trip we've done 2up and it's surprising how well it works for that duty.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #6730
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,446
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
If it makes you guys feel any better I just got home from about 8000 km's out to go to the CroMag Campout in Barnard VT. The girl rode with me for a week and about a third of the mileage. Lots of fun but boy does my poor little machine need some TLC now. The subframe cracked somewhere yesterday on the last leg home. Good timing. This is the second trip we've done 2up and it's surprising how well it works for that duty.
I am too fat for my wife and I to ride 2 up.

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #6731
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
I am too fat for my wife and I to ride 2 up.
That's too bad, but maybe better for you and your marriage in the long run

Anyone out there have an extra fender they don't need? Mine seems to be ready for retirement

RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #6732
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:

Anyone out there have an extra fender they don't need? Mine seems to be ready for retirement
skibum69, I've been reading about many sub frames breaks. Do you think it's a production problem, affecting just in some cases, or the simple act of charging the bike with some kilos is enough to sooner or later have a broken sub frame?

I charge my bike with two KTM side cases and sometimes with a top case too, and I can say is pretty heavy... I drive offroad and the stress for the sub frame is high... should I fear of a broken sub frame?
what do you think?

Cheers...
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #6733
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,357
Hey Mike!

Any reason why you mounted your license plate horizontally instead of vertiaclly?? Looks like the exhaust is being deflected by the plate on to the fender.

Quote:

Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #6734
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
skibum69, I've been reading about many sub frames breaks. Do you think it's a production problem, affecting just in some cases, or the simple act of charging the bike with some kilos is enough to sooner or later have a broken sub frame?

I charge my bike with two KTM side cases and sometimes with a top case too, and I can say is pretty heavy... I drive offroad and the stress for the sub frame is high... should I fear of a broken sub frame?
what do you think?

Cheers...
It's not a production problem, it's just that it's not a really heavy duty subframe. If you are riding hard over rough roads with big loads subframe issues are common on many bikes.

Take it off & get it reinforced, it's not complicated. See here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487154

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #6735
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
It's not a production problem, it's just that it's not a really heavy duty subframe. If you are riding hard over rough roads with big loads subframe issues are common on many bikes.

Take it off & get it reinforced, it's not complicated. See here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487154

Cheers
Clint
Clint of Kiwi's Land, how are you going to treat our Pumas next weekend????
Please be gentle, our team is pure heart and spirit, but isn't enough to deal with the All Blacks...
Anyway, for the level of play we could accomplish at this World Cup, I think its ok to be defeated by them at Qtr.Finals.

Do you like rugby? are you going to the matches?
Off-topic's End-------------

Sub frame: ok, always is good to be reinforced!!!
Thanks for the link.

I don't have fractures so far, but as I was saying, I have been reading about many cases of them.
I only had the following event, somehow subframe related: I was happily riding 2 hours before Abancay (Peru) and suddenly heard a brrrrrrr!!!!! release a bit the throttle and it stopped, and then accelerated and again brrrrr!!! ... it took the s... out of me because it was a noise I have never expected to hear while riding.
I stopped and found that the tool box with its little metal arms included, have broken apart from the subframe, and went down to place itself in the space between the fork's "U" and the tire's knobs... can you imagine that? if it goes a little deeper in there, the rear wheel could be blocked, and rider down... bye bye vertical, hello planet earth

Vibrations are a killer for weldings. I had not weld it again, I don't use it much.

Letsafter the match!
Alec.
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote