ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #6736
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!
 
juames's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,352
Had the chance to do an over nighter this weekend. Was a great weekend...wet and cold, but great anyway!


__________________
Roaming Rally 2011RR2012 RR2013 RR14 RR15
"I don't hate people...I just feel better when they are not around." - Henry Chinaski
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #6737
Jawk
Im lost again.
 
Jawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: near Wodonga, Victoria - Oz
Oddometer: 218
What is an adventure "R" ?

Hi all,
Looking at grabbing a 640 adv', have found a fair few - one of them is an "R" version the fella told me...
Some sort of dakar promo in 2004/2005...?

Any different to a non "R"?

Cheers and thanks,
Gary

Beechworth, Victoria - Oz
Jawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #6738
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
skibum69, I've been reading about many sub frames breaks. Do you think it's a production problem, affecting just in some cases, or the simple act of charging the bike with some kilos is enough to sooner or later have a broken sub frame?

I charge my bike with two KTM side cases and sometimes with a top case too, and I can say is pretty heavy... I drive offroad and the stress for the sub frame is high... should I fear of a broken sub frame?
what do you think?

Cheers...
this has about 18000 km's of time loaded down on it, plus I had to get the charcoal canister mount piece of pipe rewelded from it leaving via the side panel somewhere in Labrador a few years ago

no surprise really that it decided to give it up, just glad it waited until the last day
Quote:
Hey Mike!

Any reason why you mounted your license plate horizontally instead of vertiaclly?? Looks like the exhaust is being deflected by the plate on to the fender.
yeah, 'cause the cops here are pathetic and would probably pull me over for it, and yes the pipe was melting the shit out of it all, had nothig to do with mounting bolts coming loose or a couple of lay downs in the mud

Quote:
Clint of Kiwi's Land, how are you going to treat our Pumas next weekend????
Please be gentle, our team is pure heart and spirit, but isn't enough to deal with the All Blacks...
Anyway, for the level of play we could accomplish at this World Cup, I think its ok to be defeated by them at Qtr.Finals.
I do believe our Canucks will be there too, I used to be a #2 back in the day

I'm still waiting for one of youse guys to send me a new to me fender
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #6739
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser
 
clintnz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Rotoiti, New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Clint of Kiwi's Land, how are you going to treat our Pumas next weekend????
Please be gentle, our team is pure heart and spirit, but isn't enough to deal with the All Blacks...
.
I'll have a word with the boys & tell them to keep the winning margin under 3 figures for ya mate I'm not as much of a rugby fanatic as the average NZer but I do enjoy watching some of the games on TV.

If you are getting the subframe reinforced another modification that you can do at the same time is to drill & tap the 6mm bolt holes for the handle/rack mounts out to M8, this is another known weak point.

Cheers
Clint
__________________
'03 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?

clintnz screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 08:11 PM
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #6740
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
I'll have a word with boys & tell them to keep the winning margin under 3 figures for ya mate I'm not as much of a rugby fanatic as the average NZer but I do enjoy watching some of the games on TV.

If you are getting the subframe reinforced another modification that you can do at the same time is to drill & tap the 6mm bolt holes for the handle/rack mounts out to M8, this is another known weak point.

Cheers
Clint
thanks for the bolt tip, mine have been good to date. I'll give it a good once over when I get it off for a bit of welding.
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #6741
Low594
Adventuring Creep
 
Low594's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawk View Post
Hi all,
Looking at grabbing a 640 adv', have found a fair few - one of them is an "R" version the fella told me...
Some sort of dakar promo in 2004/2005...?

Any different to a non "R"?

Cheers and thanks,
Gary

Beechworth, Victoria - Oz
The R designation was on all the early Adventures, then got dropped at some point, probably 2003going when alot got changed. So it really doesn't mean anything.
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #6742
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
I'll have a word with the boys & tell them to keep the winning margin under 3 figures for ya mate I'm not as much of a rugby fanatic as the average NZer but I do enjoy watching some of the games on TV.

If you are getting the subframe reinforced another modification that you can do at the same time is to drill & tap the 6mm bolt holes for the handle/rack mounts out to M8, this is another known weak point.

Cheers
Clint
Clint... 2 figures??? gosh... thanks!
Hope Pumas can manage to loose by less than 20 or 30 points, that would be a great deal... if we have to loose, better do it with honor.
Unfortunately, we couldn't accomplish last World Rugby Cup performance, at France, when we finished at 3rd position.

M8? you lost me... you mean to upsize from 6mm to 8mm? I didn't hear about M8 before... sorry for my "noobness"!
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #6743
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
this has about 18000 km's of time loaded down on it, plus I had to get the charcoal canister mount piece of pipe rewelded from it leaving via the side panel somewhere in Labrador a few years ago

no surprise really that it decided to give it up, just glad it waited until the last day
skibum69, is it possible that your silencer is mounted too much under the rear fender, more than the std position? mine is clearly far away from it, more outside, so the hot air don't touch it... just saying...
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #6744
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
skibum69, is it possible that your silencer is mounted too much under the rear fender, more than the std position? mine is clearly far away from it, more outside, so the hot air don't touch it... just saying...
the first time it was pushed in when I went down on a little sand on pavement about 10' short of the space I needed This time it was more an issue of some loose mounting bolts, the plate and fender were already toast so I didn't bother with more fixing before I got home. No biggie, just need to source another fender. Any ideas on where I might find one?
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #6745
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
the first time it was pushed in when I went down on a little sand on pavement about 10' short of the space I needed This time it was more an issue of some loose mounting bolts, the plate and fender were already toast so I didn't bother with more fixing before I got home. No biggie, just need to source another fender. Any ideas on where I might find one?
Getting a fender: I have read these days about an inmate who is selling a bike like ours, in pieces... check it out:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710212

Hope you can get a deal...
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #6746
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Getting a fender: I have read these days about an inmate who is selling a bike like ours, in pieces... check it out:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710212

Hope you can get a deal...
PM sent, cheers
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #6747
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser
 
clintnz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Rotoiti, New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
M8? you lost me... you mean to upsize from 6mm to 8mm? I didn't hear about M8 before... sorry for my "noobness"!
Yes, you can go to a 8mm x 1.25mm standard metric thread. Check that your rack's attachment point can easily be drilled out to take the 8mm bolt first.

Cheers
Clint
__________________
'03 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #6748
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Yes, you can go to a 8mm x 1.25mm standard metric thread. Check that your rack's attachment point can easily be drilled out to take the 8mm bolt first.

Cheers
Clint
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #6749
John Macdonald
Beastly Adventurer
 
John Macdonald's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Nevada
Oddometer: 1,680
99 640 ADV, quite a few bits here and there - bike has 10k miles and it rips.
I'm looking for a low beam unit, as I got a stone sent my way the other morning which broke the low beam lens.


I'll list the farkle list some time soon.
__________________
Too many projects, not enough bank account.
John Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #6750
Low594
Adventuring Creep
 
Low594's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Macdonald View Post
99 640 ADV, quite a few bits here and there - bike has 10k miles and it rips.
I'm looking for a low beam unit, as I got a stone sent my way the other morning which broke the low beam lens.


I'll list the farkle list some time soon.
I haven't found a stock replacement for mine either. Rallylights.com are great people and sell Hella replacements, that should fit and improve the light output. Call them, they are very helpful!

I made my own stone guards from computer fan guards, simple cheap, but I borrowed the idea from another inmate!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014