-----------
racedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #6767
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_and_slow View Post
Need some advice from the 640A owners.....be nice it's my first post.

Sold the plated 450X and looking for a longer legged dirt bike. Rode a KLR and it did nothing for me, same with the DR, and the Honda is just ugly. So I am set on a 640A, but there are a couple of options......

-'99 that needs some TLC, <13,000 miles on it, easy price
or
-'06 ready to go, but with 25,000+ miles, towards the top of my budget

Figured out with my 450 that if I have a shop manual, torque wrench, and some forum wisdom I can do damn near anything mechanically, so I am not scared of the maintenance. Will do some light commuting with the goal of a CDR or TAT ride this summer.

Didn't want all the KTM bashing/"buy a KLR" crap so I posted here.

Let me know....
- 06'

Nearer the end of productions and many if not all issues solved.

At 25 it's worth checking cam roller bearings and rebuild the waterpump....
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #6768
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 543
Page FIVE? WHA? Here you go. I couldn't pass this sign up and had to turn around to get a shot of it. I LOVE finding stuff misspelled.

Here you go, dirty. The grey mare on a forty-ish degree, Ohio, windy as hell seventy mile round trip ride to get a FirstGear jacket. That tank bag will hold a TON! I'll have a set of helmet lights wired up pretty soon. TrailTech HIDs, with the hi and low bike HIDs on? It'll have planes trying to land!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #6769
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,774
Flash-She's looking good.

Hope you have her sorted out.

Dirty
Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 AM   #6770
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Flash-She's looking good.

Hope you have her sorted out.

Dirty
Ehhh, it's getting there. It still leaks a little at the rocker cover and the timing glass, and I'll probably play with jetting a little, but for the most part it runs goods, starts first kick or first revolution with the button, and scoots down the road fine. I've got a Rekluse on the workbench ready to go in when I get time, and I'd like to get a steering damper. Any tire recommendations? I'd like something a little more aggressive than the Kenda 270s currently on it, but something that doesn't SUCK on wet roads. That kinda rules out the TeraFlex, which I actually liked on my 525, although I hear they're made here again and steel belted again with a different compound....
Old 10-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #6771
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

I always have liked the Dunlop 606 on the front and the Dunlop 908 on the rear.

I have been running the rear Heidenau K60? (Chevron-ish tread block pattern) for the last few thousand miles and am impressed with the gravel/dirt/pavement grip and am waiting for the tire to begin showing some wear. Clearly going to outlast those 908 rears.

Way too much head shake I couldn't seem to dial out with a 908 on the front, so don't waste your tokens on this front tire IMHO.

I found the 606 didn't cup as bad as the Pirelli MT21 for what it's worth.

Dirty
Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #6772
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:

Dirty

Dirty, what do you mean by "cup"?

Thanks!

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #6773
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:

I have been running the rear Heidenau K60? (Chevron-ish tread block pattern) for the last few thousand miles and am impressed with the gravel/dirt/pavement grip and am waiting for the tire to begin showing some wear. Clearly going to outlast those 908 rears.

Way too much head shake I couldn't seem to dial out with a 908 on the front, so don't waste your tokens on this front tire IMHO.

Dirty
908 or 908RR?

Ran the brother to the K60 (the mefo super explorer) Found it good on all but loose stuff, life span however wasnt great especially for what is an expensive tyre over here. Personally I'm not a fan of the 908RR but it has outlasted the mefo and does work better in loose stuff, planning to go back to a 606 rear as the price and performance make up for the short lifespan.

As for fronts which dont cup as much try a michelin hp4 starcross, a lot better than the 606 and mt21 with little penalty in performance off road and better onroad manners.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #6774
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Mak-

Here you go....basically cupping is caused by underinflation (I normally ride with 20 lbs in the front) along with hard braking on pavement. The knobbies are deflected backwards from the forces induced by the braking, the knobs fold back, and begin to develop a sawtooth-like wear pattern you can feel by running your fingers back and forth over the running surface of the tire.

The fix is to run greater air pressures, don't slow down, flip the front every so often, or to run tires with larger, shorter knobby blocks.

A quick Google yielded this explaination:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Cupping comes in two styles. One is a oval shaped depression usually found in the center of the tread and can be caused by under inflation, bad shocks or unbalanced tires. A cup usually encompasses several tread blocks.

The other is found on the tread blocks at the edges of the tread, usually the block either side of the center. Each one wears on the front or rear of the block, not the side. When you slide your hand across the tire, you get the impression of the tread feeling like the teeth on a saw. This type of wear is more pronounced on some tires than others and is caused by the fact that in a motorcycle tire, the tread is rounded instead of flat like a car tire. Because of that, the distance around the center of the tire is more than on each side and as a result, the tread blocks off center must slip a little bit as the tire rotates.

The worst tires I ever had with the second type of cupping was the old K112 Continental front tires. They has long rectangular blocks and the two on each side of the center two would wear much worse than the center two. The rear Dunlop Elite 3 on my big bike has some as well but the front Dunlop 404 or Qualifier Elites have never done it at all.

Dirty
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #6775
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_and_slow View Post
Need some advice from the 640A owners.....be nice it's my first post.

Sold the plated 450X and looking for a longer legged dirt bike. Rode a KLR and it did nothing for me, same with the DR, and the Honda is just ugly. So I am set on a 640A, but there are a couple of options......

-'99 that needs some TLC, <13,000 miles on it, easy price
or
-'06 ready to go, but with 25,000+ miles, towards the top of my budget

Figured out with my 450 that if I have a shop manual, torque wrench, and some forum wisdom I can do damn near anything mechanically, so I am not scared of the maintenance. Will do some light commuting with the goal of a CDR or TAT ride this summer.

Didn't want all the KTM bashing/"buy a KLR" crap so I posted here.

Let me know....
Forget the 99, low flow head, much more vibes, less aftermarket options and unresolved issues such as the main bearings.

I agree with cam bearings and waterpump but would add suspension service and check all suspension bearings while you are there.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #6776
Jawk
Im lost again.

Oddometer: 213
G'Day all...

Hi all,
Re: my nw aquisition.

I think ive figured out the photo thingo, so here she is...

Not sure how I feel about the re-spray from orange, but its held up well for a lot of outback kms, so maybe I'll leave it as is...

Cheers
Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #6777
Jawk
Im lost again.

Now ive got to figure out what to wear !

My MX type gear boots etc, or road leather pants road boots etc...
Either or type ride I can figure it out, but half and half of a 3000km outback SA dirt & road combo im not sure...

Im leaning toward dirt gear & boots (and knee braces) as when I lose it on the dirt it will help stop a broken foot - but how good are the MX pants at sliding along the road!!

Helmet>???!!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #6778
Reckless Relic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Nice bike

Hey Jawk, nice bike
Where did the clear faring come from is that standard I havent seen one before?
Regarding gear Ive found my enduro MX gear is OK I still prefer to wear MX style boot for the protection they offer but now days prefer over boot pants, jackets are the one thing I havent got right yet still looking.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #6779
Jawk
Im lost again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Relic View Post
Hey Jawk, nice bike
Where did the clear faring come from is that standard I havent seen one before?
Regarding gear Ive found my enduro MX gear is OK I still prefer to wear MX style boot for the protection they offer but now days prefer over boot pants, jackets are the one thing I havent got right yet still looking.

The screen has part number 58211002000 on it, which reads to be a screen part for an older 640adv... weird.
Maybe it has an older model fairing on it...??!!

Yeah im leaning towards wearing the dirt boots etc for the outback trip and ones like it, and normal road gear for the day jaunts on the road (and to work etc)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #6780
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 284
Fairing

Nice set of wheels .
The fairing is from a 1998 ,1999 model .
Tezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawk View Post
The screen has part number 58211002000 on it, which reads to be a screen part for an older 640adv... weird.
Maybe it has an older model fairing on it...??!!

Yeah im leaning towards wearing the dirt boots etc for the outback trip and ones like it, and normal road gear for the day jaunts on the road (and to work etc)
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote