Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #6871
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDave View Post
I have a 2005 625 sxc and I have an earlier airbox and filter and a http://antigravitybatteries.com
inside the airbox.

Its not pretty but it all fits and works. The battery is smaller lighter and more powerful.

check out from post number 7

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16085793#post16085793

Cheers

David
\

Guys,
Back in the day when I was fighting the airbox-snorkle wars for CV carbs I looked up every airbox made for the 640, well anywway the 640 was sold for a short time as a motoXer with a slide carb.

Is that the airbox you are talking about.

Would that work for Laramie?

It's in the old microfisches.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #6872
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Hi,

I'm in a process of giving a good cleaning for my bike..
But when I was reassembling the chain guard, I busted the thread in the swingarm (red circle bolt on the picture).. What do you guys think? would it be a good idea, to recut the thread for an M6 bolt, and use that?

Or should I helicoil it? or just use the old bolt with some loctite?

cheers.
In case anybody is intrested how this turned out:

I've rethreaded the hole for an M6 thread, put a new M6 bolt in it, loctited it, and torqued it to 5nm.. Hope it will hold up well:)

Before:

During the process:

After, with new thread:

Still if anybody would be kind enough to undo 2-3 bolts and take a picture of the right side of the airbox + the top of the airbox for me, to see how the wires are routed, that would be great!!

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #6873
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,036
will this help?

I could email more as I have a few others with more bits off the bike.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #6874
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
will this help?

I could email more as I have a few others with more bits off the bike.

Thank you very much! This helped!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #6875
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Hi!

Does anybody have some pictures of the CDI & battery area on a 2005 Adventure? especialy how the cables are routed? I forgot to make one before pulling it apart, and now I don't realy remember, how it used to be:))

Thanks!
Mines a 05 625 SXc , sorry about the bad Pic

Name:  xx 007.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  100.7 KB
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #6876
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Name:  xx 004.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  114.8 KB
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #6877
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all of you very very much!:)
Old 12-10-2011, 02:43 AM   #6878
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Clutch Spring Sources

Ever since I had this bike the clutch had some slip under extreme full throttle high traction situations. Like popping a wheelie. But since I dont ride like idiot as often as I use too its hasnt been a issue. when I want to get stupid I ride my 09 crf450r- the fastest dirt bike i have ever ridden in my 36 years of racing/riding. The 640 was in storage for 9 years prior to me getting it. And I think the springs have taken a set and lost some tension from lack of use. I have pulled the clutch down 2 times and found nothing wrong. The plates are fine-no glazing/burning. So under "normal" riding conditions it isn't slipping at all. So the only thing left is to try replacing the springs. What is the best options out there? I have been looking at EBC and Sumo. Thay are suppose to 15% sronger than stock. Also what is the best clutch cable to use with a riser? I think I heard a certain year YZ450 was a inch or so longer.

jonnyw screwed with this post 12-10-2011 at 03:43 AM
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #6879
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Question

Hi there, here a newbie from not so sunny this time of the year northern Spain.
What a website I'm in! Wow, really incredible experiences and, best of all, a community sharing the same interest and willing to help each other.
This summer I bought a '03 640 LC4 with a supermoto set of wheels and the offroad ones, fitted these and despite the lack of experience on the brown stuff I never went back to the road wheels&tyres. Sliding the bike is a joy!
Mine's an enduro, not an Adventure, so I'm not very sure whether I'm posting at the right place or not.
Have an engine issue with the bike, which made a not good metallic sound :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBEJVLASMV4
I opened the rocker cover and found the inlet rocker arm bearing had seized, causing significant wear in the camshaft. Then I replaced all bearings and the cam but when I fitted everything back a different noise was there :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_pGJ5mZJl0
I haven't yet put the cylinder head and the cylinder apart, worried it could be a rod bearing. Doesn't sound to me as if it was the rod, though. The reason to worry is that one thing is removing the head&cylinder, which I could do myself, and a different one is dismantling the whole engine. I'm not experienced at all, don't have the time neither.
I'd like to point out a couple of things that caught my eye when reassembling. The first one was that after fitting the new bearings and camshaft, valve clearance was 0. I couldn't even slide a 0.05 gauge in. Adjusted it to 0.15 as the manual says, but there's still noise coming from the top end, I think.
Please take a look at the videos, your opinions&advices are very welcomed.
Cheers!
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #6880
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Tin Can of rocks

Its hard to pick up on these lc4s. They all sound like they are about to explode to me. It almost sounded normal in the first vid. But something is definitely wrong in the second one. That low frequency is the one that worries me. I see that you were using a probe by hand trying to isolate it. I like taking a very long screw driver and put it up to my ear. But use caution sticking your around a engine. It will amplify the sound very well.
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #6881
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDave View Post
I have a 2005 625 sxc and I have an earlier airbox and filter and a http://antigravitybatteries.com
inside the airbox.

Its not pretty but it all fits and works. The battery is smaller lighter and more powerful.

check out from post number 7

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16085793#post16085793

Cheers

David
thanks for the post. i have looked at many options and i'm pretty sure i have seen your pics before. what i'm hoping for is to eliminate all the clutter. i don't want to be broke down in the dez and having to pull all that wiring apart to try and chase a bad wire or something. i think with the pod filter will have plenty of room, i just have to figure out how to protect the filter form the front and the back (roost). if i remove the airbox that leave a big hole in the back which will have to be filled with something. at first i was really reserved about using a pod filter, but the more i find out, the more im thinking that is the direction that im going to go.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #6882
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
Hi there, here a newbie from not so sunny this time of the year northern Spain.
What a website I'm in! Wow, really incredible experiences and, best of all, a community sharing the same interest and willing to help each other.
This summer I bought a '03 640 LC4 with a supermoto set of wheels and the offroad ones, fitted these and despite the lack of experience on the brown stuff I never went back to the road wheels&tyres. Sliding the bike is a joy!
Mine's an enduro, not an Adventure, so I'm not very sure whether I'm posting at the right place or not.
Have an engine issue with the bike, which made a not good metallic sound :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBEJVLASMV4
I opened the rocker cover and found the inlet rocker arm bearing had seized, causing significant wear in the camshaft. Then I replaced all bearings and the cam but when I fitted everything back a different noise was there :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_pGJ5mZJl0
I haven't yet put the cylinder head and the cylinder apart, worried it could be a rod bearing. Doesn't sound to me as if it was the rod, though. The reason to worry is that one thing is removing the head&cylinder, which I could do myself, and a different one is dismantling the whole engine. I'm not experienced at all, don't have the time neither.
I'd like to point out a couple of things that caught my eye when reassembling. The first one was that after fitting the new bearings and camshaft, valve clearance was 0. I couldn't even slide a 0.05 gauge in. Adjusted it to 0.15 as the manual says, but there's still noise coming from the top end, I think.
Please take a look at the videos, your opinions&advices are very welcomed.
Cheers!
I'm no engine wizard, but one problem I had after my top end rebuild (and I actually had this problem a couple times, luckily caught quickly) was with the oil pumps. If you have a bit of crap in your engine, it's very easy to jam up one of the two oil pumps located behind the clutch. The plastic gears that drive the pumps will strip, and make a funny noise. So I'd open the clutch cover, and check these things at least- oil pumps, balance shaft bearing (on the clutch cover), main shaft bearing (also behind the clutch basket).

You replaced the main cam bearing, right by the cam chain gear, right?

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #6883
PaulS
Österreicher

Oddometer: 947
2000 640 ADV Side covers

I just purchased a 2000 640 ADV and have the hardest time to find (--yes I did a search in this thread...) replacement side covers and rear plastic fender. All I can find is the covers for 2001 - 2003. Will they fit on the 2000?
Thanks for helping out.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #6884
Ol'Muley
old, not dead

Oddometer: 82
plastic

Only fits 2000 and back for OEM try munnracing.com
Ol'Muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #6885
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I just purchased a 2000 640 ADV and have the hardest time to find (--yes I did a search in this thread...) replacement side covers and rear plastic fender. All I can find is the covers for 2001 - 2003. Will they fit on the 2000?
Thanks for helping out.
They show up new and used on ebay. Just say someone with a bunch of new black fenders! I've been thinking about them!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote