ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #6901
ScramblerTom
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ScramblerTom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: in transit...
Oddometer: 274
I have been offered a 2005 640 with 50,000kms. Te engine had some top end seals done but other than that the engine is untouched - this bike has been from Toronto to Alaska and done some tough off-road miles.

I what to know what you can expect from these bikes regarding engine/parts lifespan?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
__________________
A ride up north
2005 KTM EXC 400
2005 KTM ADV 640
-> SOLD then bought a 2009 DRZ 400 - on the weight loss plan
2006 Piaggio BV 250
1986 XT 600
traded for a Jet Ski!! taking up wakeboarding... was not riding it anyway
ScramblerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #6902
alongat
Studly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScramblerTom View Post
I have been offered a 2005 640 with 50,000kms. Te engine had some top end seals done but other than that the engine is untouched - this bike has been from Toronto to Alaska and done some tough off-road miles.

I what to know what you can expect from these bikes regarding engine/parts lifespan?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
It hasn't seen anything tougher than gravel and some dirt...

The guy I bought it from is on advrider.com from Barrie, Ontario - a few of the other 640ADV guys know him as well...can't remember his advrider.com handle though his name is Devon.
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV - pink letters covered with carbon now :)
2005 Ducati 999R - bucket list must-have

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #6903
ScramblerTom
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ScramblerTom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: in transit...
Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
It hasn't seen anything tougher than gravel and some dirt...

The guy I bought it from is on advrider.com from Barrie, Ontario - a few of the other 640ADV guys know him as well...can't remember his advrider.com handle though his name is Devon.
Hey Alon - I'm not bad mouthing your bike and I trust you when you say it is in great shape! I'm just hoping to get some idea of longevity from these engines. For example my XT600 tend to have very weak 4th and 5th gears and these need to be replaced. Also most KTM RFS engines need a rebuild around 200 hours.

I'm giving some serious thought about Alon's bike - so can anyone give me a general lifecycle on these? Can i expect a major rebuild in the next 10,000 or the next 50,000km?? What are some things to look for or expect in a bike with 50K on the clock?
__________________
A ride up north
2005 KTM EXC 400
2005 KTM ADV 640
-> SOLD then bought a 2009 DRZ 400 - on the weight loss plan
2006 Piaggio BV 250
1986 XT 600
traded for a Jet Ski!! taking up wakeboarding... was not riding it anyway
ScramblerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #6904
alongat
Studly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScramblerTom View Post
Hey Alon - I'm not bad mouthing your bike and I trust you when you say it is in great shape! I'm just hoping to get some idea of longevity from these engines. For example my XT600 tend to have very weak 4th and 5th gears and these need to be replaced. Also most KTM RFS engines need a rebuild around 200 hours.

I'm giving some serious thought about Alon's bike - so can anyone give me a general lifecycle on these? Can i expect a major rebuild in the next 10,000 or the next 50,000km?? What are some things to look for or expect in a bike with 50K on the clock?
Hey, I'm sorry - I didn't mean to sound defensive. Of course, I understand that you want to know what you're getting into...
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV - pink letters covered with carbon now :)
2005 Ducati 999R - bucket list must-have

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #6905
Neil Bainbridge
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Nork Yorkshire, UK
Oddometer: 2
Got one getting delivered on Tuesday

just paid £3900 for this 2007 one with 5000 miles on the clock. can't wait to see what it rides like, my biggest bike before this was a 125cc Derbi terra Adventure.
Attached Images
 
Neil Bainbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #6906
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!
 
juames's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Bainbridge View Post
just paid £3900 for this 2007 one with 5000 miles on the clock. can't wait to see what it rides like, my biggest bike before this was a 125cc Derbi terra Adventure.

Oh boy you are in for a pleasant surprise!
__________________
Roaming Rally 2011RR2012 RR2013 RR14
"I don't hate people...I just feel better when they are not around." - Henry Chinaski
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #6907
joe cool
Studly Adventurer
 
joe cool's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: southwest,ohio
Oddometer: 814
nice up grade
__________________
"One more day I find myself alive
Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground"
Garcia/Hunter
joe cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #6908
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,023
sweet! Get yourself some "doubletake" mirrors, they're better than stock
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #6909
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bigboyxl's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Czech republic - Ukraine
Oddometer: 312
hey fellow 640's owners. winter season over here so, it's time for some maintenance and mods.
i'm thinking about buying a new battery for my 2006 ADV and found this LIFePO4 battery: http://shop.testsycl.com/1-BALLISTIC...Cell-EVO-2.htm
it's really lightweight in comparison to the stock one!
anyone tried them specifically on our model?
I have few concerns about this battery:
1. The size - it's 1cm higher then my stock YUASA YTZ10S. I haven't checked how much place there yet but I hope it should be an issue
2. The amperage - won't it drain if i'm constantly using navigation and pov.hd camera on my trips?
3. Is it okay to use it on long journeys?

any other things I should know if switching to this kind of batteries?
__________________
KTM LC4 640 Adventure 2006 KTM 530 EXC 2011
KTM LC8 1190 Adventure
www.alburmoto.com
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #6910
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez
 
dirty_sanchez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Louisiana, Baton Rouge
Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Oh boy you are in for a pleasant surprise!
Oh, yeah, you're gonna love it Neil!

Dirty
__________________
No, really, the mustache means I love you.
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #6911
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck
 
NitroAcres's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: A ChickenHouse in NorthGeorgia
Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
hey fellow 640's owners. winter season over here so, it's time for some maintenance and mods.
i'm thinking about buying a new battery for my 2006 ADV and found this LIFePO4 battery: http://shop.testsycl.com/1-BALLISTIC...Cell-EVO-2.htm
it's really lightweight in comparison to the stock one!
anyone tried them specifically on our model?
I have few concerns about this battery:
1. The size - it's 1cm higher then my stock YUASA YTZ10S. I haven't checked how much place there yet but I hope it should be an issue
2. The amperage - won't it drain if i'm constantly using navigation and pov.hd camera on my trips?
3. Is it okay to use it on long journeys?

any other things I should know if switching to this kind of batteries?
Never leave the key on, if the bike isn't running.
Make sure you have no paracitic drain.
If the battery ever goes flat...it is done. (they don't charge back up like a standard style battery)
They don't charge on standard chargers.
They are great racing batteries and light weight.
I have one on my 625SXC (I have an Alien Motion Battery, they guy who builds them did the ground work for the Ballistic batteries).
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #6912
ThorRex
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 167
2001 lc4

Just picked up a '01 LC4 with the infamous bad countershaft bearing behind the clutch. Bought it right I think..but in my typical dumass fashion I managed to break off one of the tabs on the clutch basket while disassembing. Anyone have one laying around they want to part with? Anyway, once apart I found tons of black plastic shavings and chunks of a black plastic gear in the engine sump up against the screen, along with the bearing cage in a million pieces, but the plastic gear behind the clutch was intact....where is there another plastic gear that I'm not seeing...have'nt really tore into it as yet to nose around...any thoughts? PM me if you know of a clutch basket please. Thanks.
ThorRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #6913
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRex View Post
Just picked up a '01 LC4 with the infamous bad countershaft bearing behind the clutch. Bought it right I think..but in my typical dumass fashion I managed to break off one of the tabs on the clutch basket while disassembing. Anyone have one laying around they want to part with? Anyway, once apart I found tons of black plastic shavings and chunks of a black plastic gear in the engine sump up against the screen, along with the bearing cage in a million pieces, but the plastic gear behind the clutch was intact....where is there another plastic gear that I'm not seeing...have'nt really tore into it as yet to nose around...any thoughts? PM me if you know of a clutch basket please. Thanks.
Thor.

This is what you want to see after removing your clutch basket:



Those plastic gears run your oil pumps.

I replaced mine while I was in there. Peace of mind.

Can't help ya with a new basket, you're just going to have to order one and wait for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Ride safe!!!!
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #6914
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bigboyxl's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Czech republic - Ukraine
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
Never leave the key on, if the bike isn't running.
Make sure you have no parasitic drain.
If the battery ever goes flat...it is done. (they don't charge back up like a standard style battery)
They don't charge on standard chargers.
They are great racing batteries and light weight.
I have one on my 625SXC (I have an Alien Motion Battery, they guy who builds them did the ground work for the Ballistic batteries).
thnx for info!
how to check if there is a drain and prevent battery going flat? (i thought if my alternator is working fine the battery won't go get flat)
btw, I see that AM batteries look almost the same as Ballistic but much cheaper and the only difference I see is the connector for some balance charging on Ballistics
__________________
KTM LC4 640 Adventure 2006 KTM 530 EXC 2011
KTM LC8 1190 Adventure
www.alburmoto.com
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #6915
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck
 
NitroAcres's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: A ChickenHouse in NorthGeorgia
Oddometer: 493
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
thnx for info!
how to check if there is a drain and prevent battery going flat? (i thought if my alternator is working fine the battery won't go get flat)
btw, I see that AM batteries look almost the same as Ballistic but much cheaper and the only difference I see is the connector for some balance charging on Ballistics
Drain is measured with a meter....bike not running, key off...(The guy from AM was at my shop and did it on my SXC....it was in the milliamps, it was enough that if I didn't ride for a few weeks and left it connected it would drain the battery below the accepted level.)

They are exactly the same, minus the logo's....I have one on my GSXR-1K trackbike, I disconnect it when the bike sits between trackdays...shelf life is wonderful.

They are great and start the bike quickly, however I still don't trust them a 100% yet...like I said if it ever goes flat it is'nt like the battery on a cordless drill, it is toast...and won't comeback to like new....ever. *so I am told*..by guys who have had this happen.

Read the Instructions that come with them cover to cover.

NitroAcres screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 05:32 PM
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014