Looks the same...

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #6992
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Newbie info.

I know what KTM and the net says, but what is the true real wheel horsepower on a 640? Which big bore/stroke kits are available and which maintain reliability? Weight, full of gas-ready to ride? I don't have a 640 but am looking for a used adventure/ds bike that I can ride singletrack on and still do 200+ mile pavement/dirt road trips with relative comfort. Been looking at 950 Superenduros and 990 Adventures, but don't really want to ride a +400lb bike or need almost 100 hp although I've ridden them and they do put a grin on my face. Also don't want to spend as much as they cost unless necessary. I am a B class enduro rider and a big guy, but the 640 seems as if I could do really tough singletrack on it and still have a good dirt road and street bike when needed. I've heard complaints about vibration being a problem on-road with 640s, but how bad is it really?

My last big bike was a KLR 650 which I seriously tweaked and which I got to handle very well off road but it was just not powerful enough to be fun on the dirt or street. Is the 640 what I am looking for, or should I buy another KTM 525 (which I have also owned), or convert a DRZ 400? (which I own). I know the Rally heritage of the 640, but do they really work as well off road as they look like they would? Any years/models I should stay away from? Any have-to-do mods for reliability?

I am sort of swaying between the 640 Adventure and modding an XR 650L for Adventure/DS. Have also considered the Husky and Husabergs, but have no local dealers, but have very good Honda and KTM dealers nearby. I will be riding about a true 50/50 mix dirt-pavement, but I will be occasionally riding some very tough singletrack as part of my trips.

Thanks, Jeff.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #6993
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
I know what KTM and the net says, but what is the true real wheel horsepower on a 640? Which big bore/stroke kits are available and which maintain reliability? Weight, full of gas-ready to ride? I don't have a 640 but am looking for a used adventure/ds bike that I can ride singletrack on and still do 200+ mile pavement/dirt road trips with relative comfort. Been looking at 950 Superenduros and 990 Adventures, but don't really want to ride a +400lb bike or need almost 100 hp although I've ridden them and they do put a grin on my face. Also don't want to spend as much as they cost unless necessary. I am a B class enduro rider and a big guy, but the 640 seems as if I could do really tough singletrack on it and still have a good dirt road and street bike when needed. I've heard complaints about vibration being a problem on-road with 640s, but how bad is it really?

My last big bike was a KLR 650 which I seriously tweaked and which I got to handle very well off road but it was just not powerful enough to be fun on the dirt or street. Is the 640 what I am looking for, or should I buy another KTM 525 (which I have also owned), or convert a DRZ 400? (which I own). I know the Rally heritage of the 640, but do they really work as well off road as they look like they would? Any years/models I should stay away from? Any have-to-do mods for reliability?

I am sort of swaying between the 640 Adventure and modding an XR 650L for Adventure/DS. Have also considered the Husky and Husabergs, but have no local dealers, but have very good Honda and KTM dealers nearby. I will be riding about a true 50/50 mix dirt-pavement, but I will be occasionally riding some very tough singletrack as part of my trips.

Thanks, Jeff.
jgas, here is my opinion, and although you are asking for them, you know... is just others' subjetivity. But is also true you can make a blend of all of the opinions you will have, and manage yourself to hear what you want to hear....

I'm 1,85m (5.9 feet), 85Kgs (187 lbs), I own a '06, and I'm a B Class B / A Class endurist. Also I do a 50/50 mix.
- The first thing I felt odd was the DS tires... It was a hard time for me to ride on dirt without knobbs, you can't take the bend with the engine as you do with them, among other issues. But I re-learned and it was ok.
- The 2nd thing I had to adjust my brain to: the big tank and its altitude weight. Its noticeable when you change the weights during enduro maneuvering.
- Vibration? yes, Problerm? NO.
- Weight: I think your aim is correct. There's a world of difference between the 9xx and the 640...
- Tough Singletrack: the 640 is the DS to ride
- If you put knobbs, you will love it for a life time. Knobbs release the 640's enduro soul!
- It's not a comfortable bike for street/pav routes, it's better than an enduro bike though. This is due to its seat (some inmates improved it with afterstock ones) and to its shift relation (sorry, don't know how to say this in english). But if you do want a good DS, with great performance on dirt, you have to do some sacrifice... (I did some trips of many days and many thousands kms -25 days / 11.000kms the longer one -, and I'm still loving it )
- Convert a 520: you will obtain a goooood result in this, that's for sure, with all the available kits and accesories in the market. You just have to do the maths (in money and time) to know which option is for you.
- XR650L: as far as I remember (4 or 5 years I don't ride one), it's a very heavy bike...
- Fuel Autonomy: best marks I did -> 480kms on pave (298 miles), 360Kms on dirt (223 miles). Autonomy falls from there as much as you want, depending on how much you play with the throttle, most of all on dirt.
- You will have to be patient with this bike if you go beyond the 3.000 masl... the ADV 9xx win by far in this department because of its electronics. Mine doesn't give more than 115km/h, full loaded. You can always change the size of the mainjet though ...
- Real HP: I don't know, but some inmates were doing this homework.
- Mods for reliability: I have 48.000kms on the clock, and only problems I had were 2 o 3 small non-relevant ones, like a flexible wire of the hydraulic circuit of the clutch for example.

Well, hope this can help, other inmates will contribute for sure, and may be in a richer way.
Some day may be we can say to you Welcome to the asylum!
Cheers

liferider screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 06:54 AM
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #6994
PaulS
Österreicher

Oddometer: 945
Question for the 640 Adv folks:
Are plastics (side covers and rear fender) for a 2000 ADV available in black or can I get them only in orange? This are the part numbers:
Part # 5830804200004
Part # 5830804100004
Part # 5830801320004

Mine are all scratched up and I want to try a different color. I welcome any advice or solution.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #6995
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Liferider: It's so rare to get one post from anyone, anywhere in the world, who from experience answers each question with detail. Thank you. I was already leaning towards the 640 for several reasons, now I am much more informed and almost falling over the 640. I have finished long course Enduros on a KLR 650, but I didn't really enjoy the last 20 miles. I'm mostly retired from racing but like to ride a bike to an Enduro a couple times a year and just ride for fun, see if I can finish it with reasonable speed. The trip there and back is almost as fun as the event. Fortunately at my location dirt roads are more numerous than paved, and with some planning I can get almost anywhere in my region off tarmac. I assumed the LC4s were reliable but not sure that they were truly competent on technical terrain. My old KLR 650 was not competent in technical areas, but acceptable since it was reliable and fantastic on the transfer sections and the trip to the event. My current thinking is why spend over 7000.00 US (KTM 950 SE), for a bike that would probably be as hard to ride off road as the KLR ? And as an aside I don't think any off road bike looks better than a 640. Can't beleive I am really thinking about how a bike looks! I suppose I have gained appreciation for the beauty of a bike with age? Again, I truly appreciate the detailed response. Jeff.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #6996
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Liferider: It's so rare to get one post from anyone, anywhere in the world, who from experience answers each question with detail. Thank you. I was already leaning towards the 640 for several reasons, now I am much more informed and almost falling over the 640. I have finished long course Enduros on a KLR 650, but I didn't really enjoy the last 20 miles. I'm mostly retired from racing but like to ride a bike to an Enduro a couple times a year and just ride for fun, see if I can finish it with reasonable speed. The trip there and back is almost as fun as the event. Fortunately at my location dirt roads are more numerous than paved, and with some planning I can get almost anywhere in my region off tarmac. I assumed the LC4s were reliable but not sure that they were truly competent on technical terrain. My old KLR 650 was not competent in technical areas, but acceptable since it was reliable and fantastic on the transfer sections and the trip to the event. My current thinking is why spend over 7000.00 US (KTM 950 SE), for a bike that would probably be as hard to ride off road as the KLR ? And as an aside I don't think any off road bike looks better than a 640. Can't beleive I am really thinking about how a bike looks! I suppose I have gained appreciation for the beauty of a bike with age? Again, I truly appreciate the detailed response. Jeff.
Jeff-
You should consider the LC4-E, too, especially if you're doing singletrack, and a 50/50 dirt street mix. I ended up with a E model without really looking for one, and I love it. My other bike is a 950 adventure, so I have that for my more pavement oriented trips. At most speeds, I prefer the smooth air of the enduro bike to the only marginally effective fairing of the adventure. With a properly set up carb, I have no problem going 200+ miles before hitting reserve on the LC4 with an 18 liter tank. And it crashes well, which is important for me. Of course, I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't look as good as the 640 adventure. . . which is the main reason that I find myself browsing the flea market looking at them.

I also prefer the linkage suspension on the 640 to the PDS on the 950. I've done some pretty long days in dirt and on pavement on the 640, it's a really capable bike.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #6997
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,126
I always thought of the 640Adv as an ugly bike, but one with character that demands respect, but an ugly bike none the less.
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #6998
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Jgas, about being a detailed questions answerer... well... everybody has flaws and obsessions...

The 640ADV is a very unique ride, for many reasons. I think it would be great for you if you can ride one of these rare machines before you decide, preferently 2005+ (I'm almost sure is the last reviewed year by KTM), since it's very different to all of the other brands' bikes in the same segment.
On the other hand, what Slackmeyer says it's no nonsense at all. The LC4-E is almost the same bike, It offers a less crashable fuel tank if you are planning to land discomposedly , but it sacrifies the tall fairing and the double headlights, and the double break discs (which are excesive for full technical riding anyway). Personally, I still prefer the ADV version, because I ride long off road distances, and when I need to pass over technical paths, that girl put a smile on my face.

Are you complaining with yourself for thinking about hwo a bike looks? what should I say aboutme then? I made some changes myself to mine, but keeping in mind they must be as functional as nice (for me, of course). Why can't a good machine be also a beauty...? I love how it looks.

I agree with Low594, it's a bike with character, but in may case is far from being ugly
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #6999
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:

Thanks, Jeff.

If you're close to Durango, CO you can take my 07 640a for a test ride. Our high altitude single track is snowed in but the desert is always open
Gerst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #7000
exman
amateur-enthusiast

Oddometer: 17
Touratech mount for GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustinoeldelbarrio View Post
Thanks for the help, I'll look around what is available that can provide the things I want.
Your mount suits Garmin GPS III, III+ and V for sure and it can withstand vibration very well. GPS V has the advantage: don't need internal memory battery which is difficult to change in the III and III+, although it cannot support the current version of maps. Go visit some Garmin site and check whether it suits you.
exman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #7001
exman
amateur-enthusiast

Oddometer: 17
Protective socks

Does anybody have the experience with neoprene socks designed to protect forks. My WP Extreme Standard forks are 50mm dia, and lower part of sock should be mounted on outer tube which is 65mm, and 50mm is the largest dimension of socks that is available. I wonder if it is too tight?
exman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #7002
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by exman View Post
Does anybody have the experience with neoprene socks designed to protect forks. My WP Extreme Standard forks are 50mm dia, and lower part of sock should be mounted on outer tube which is 65mm, and 50mm is the largest dimension of socks that is available. I wonder if it is too tight?
Should work, However I use these and they work great. The forkseals are ten years old and still holding.
They work well in both wet and dry conditions too.

Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #7003
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,310
SealSavers are cheap and work great!

http://www.sealsavers.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by exman View Post
Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #7004
HydroDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post
Should work, However I use these and they work great. The forkseals are ten years old and still holding.
They work well in both wet and dry conditions too.

+1
Why use seal savers if they do not cover the whole travel of the fork. The Daystar fork boots work great.
99 KTM 640e
HydroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #7005
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 451
My New Kato.....finally!

Well maybe not just yet
Waiting for the delivery of the new addition to the stable is such a drawn out affair
Two weeks might not sound like much but I'm climbing walls already.

I've always loved the 640 Adventure since laying eyes on one quite a few years back with the fairing, the big tank & those two headlights that just remind me of Arnie the Terminator

I was in the market to replace my 1995 KTM 620 SC about 4 years ago and the 640 ADV was at the top of my list

I would have had one but before buying then I made the (not so big) mistake of test riding an EXC 525.
This immediately made me postpone the ADV purchase & look for a 525 to play with.
I figured I still had some time left to test my skills out enduro style and could always buy the 640 later on.

Turned out to be a good move as I subsequently joined an Enduro Bike Club (Ariel Motorcycle Club of South Australia) which really put me on a steep learning curve regarding bike riding skills (especially in sand & hillclimbs!)

I feel I'm now better equipped skills wise to ride the 640ADV in terrain & conditions I would have never even dreamed of attempting before.

The previous owner has sent me a pic so although technically not in my hands yet, it is fully paid for.

With about 16.000 kms (10,000 miles) on the clock I figure she's only just been run in

I'm really looking forward to catching up with the SA ADV crew and also taking some longer distance type riding exploring our vast state & possibly beyond.

Oh......& I definitely will be doing the exact opposite of what my forum name suggests
This bike's a keeper!
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote