Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #7066
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregmanton1 View Post
did you spin the cables to the bottom of the bar ??
not yet. I've thought about this one, but I think they will be more vulnerable if i do so... correct me if I'm wrong
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #7067
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Muley View Post
Got mine from motion pro don't know if they ship international or not, about $35usd each www.motionpro.com
nice price, but when I found them on ebay, it is said that no international orders - for a pity
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #7068
Ol'Muley
old, not dead

Oddometer: 82
cables

check their website it says call or email for international orders--GIT R DONE!!!
Ol'Muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #7069
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Muley View Post
check their website it says call or email for international orders--GIT R DONE!!!
great!
thnx for the info
Old 03-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #7070
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
not yet. I've thought about this one, but I think they will be more vulnerable if i do so... correct me if I'm wrong
You don't need to spin them all the way around. Just put the cables behind the mirror stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #7071
Gregidy
tallabanian

Oddometer: 162
beaten to death !!

im sure this topic has bean beaten to death but the search sucks!!!.

Question I have an 05 adventure does the smc silencer fit and does it flow more ??
I dont like loud pipes but the adventures is huge and bottled up.

I searched using 640 adventure -slip on
-smc
-silencer
and just am pipes showed up sorry in advance
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #7072
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregmanton1 View Post
im sure this topic has bean beaten to death but the search sucks!!!.

Question I have an 05 adventure does the smc silencer fit and does it flow more ??
I dont like loud pipes but the adventures is huge and bottled up.

I searched using 640 adventure -slip on
-smc
-silencer
and just am pipes showed up sorry in advance

If it looks like this then yes it does fit... They are loud but I did some modifications that worked well to quiet it down:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=732362&page=3
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #7073
Gregidy
tallabanian

Oddometer: 162
cool thanks !!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #7074
Dustydude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi Gang-

New 640A owner here in Phx area. Thrilled with the new purchase from Feb and have been having a blast getting to know the bike. It's on 06 w/ about 13k miles on it, but the previous owner maintained this thing to the T! Its got a full service history with meticulous records and the whole bit. It had a 38T on the rear and did a lot of highway miles, so it's been transformed to handle my riding style w/ a 47T rear, knobbies, etc.

After a few shakedown rides getting used to the feel, I finally ran it hard in the dirt last weekend for about 75 miles and had an absolute blast. I'm getting used to the Scotts stabilizer and learning how to use it...it really does make a difference! I've owned XRs and DRs and a KLR...the 640 is THE way to go!! It really is balanced and weighted beautifully.

I've got a few questions:

1. Is the Chris dude in the UK still making the tank guards? I emailed his yahoo acct and never heard back. I need guards...I will spill eventually and don't want massive scrapes or a puncture from a big rock. I've ruled out the Hepco guards, but not entirely.

2. I have what I believe is the stock exhaust muffler/pipe. I believe its a S-trap ISD2 and appears to be in really good shape. I'm looking to possibly unload that and fund a new tank bag. What's a reasonable price for a used one in great shape?

3. I have the KTM sxc competition exhaust and its a bit quiet for my preference. Would going with a whole new pipe (Leo Vince etc) be my best bet to gain db? I don't like cruising silently in someone's blind spot. I prefer to be heard.

4. Why is the GD'd chain so tricky to get just right? Mine is either too tight or smacking the forward most chair guard bolt under heavy load & chain sag. If I adjust per the manual and create no gap betwen the swing arm bottom and chain, it is a hair on the loose side. I've been futzing w/ it since I bought it. Thank goodness for the center stand.

I think that's it. I'm super happy with the bike and look forward to enjoying it.

Cheers-
Dustydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #7075
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 332
Anyone know of a source for the blue front fender of the 1999/2000 US models, or something close enough in color that would fit and not look ridiculous? It seems like there are no more from KTM, and I haven't found anything aftermarket either.
Similarly, I have heard from long ago that 2001 - 2007 rear plastic would fit on the '99/'00 models (being an all or none deal). Has anyone ever actually done this? My original plastic is still okay, but it's a bit faded and won't last forever for sure.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #7076
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustydude View Post
Hi Gang-

New 640A owner here in Phx area. Thrilled with the new purchase from Feb and have been having a blast getting to know the bike. It's on 06 w/ about 13k miles on it, but the previous owner maintained this thing to the T! Its got a full service history with meticulous records and the whole bit. It had a 38T on the rear and did a lot of highway miles, so it's been transformed to handle my riding style w/ a 47T rear, knobbies, etc.

After a few shakedown rides getting used to the feel, I finally ran it hard in the dirt last weekend for about 75 miles and had an absolute blast. I'm getting used to the Scotts stabilizer and learning how to use it...it really does make a difference! I've owned XRs and DRs and a KLR...the 640 is THE way to go!! It really is balanced and weighted beautifully.

I've got a few questions:

1. Is the Chris dude in the UK still making the tank guards? I emailed his yahoo acct and never heard back. I need guards...I will spill eventually and don't want massive scrapes or a puncture from a big rock. I've ruled out the Hepco guards, but not entirely.

2. I have what I believe is the stock exhaust muffler/pipe. I believe its a S-trap ISD2 and appears to be in really good shape. I'm looking to possibly unload that and fund a new tank bag. What's a reasonable price for a used one in great shape?

3. I have the KTM sxc competition exhaust and its a bit quiet for my preference. Would going with a whole new pipe (Leo Vince etc) be my best bet to gain db? I don't like cruising silently in someone's blind spot. I prefer to be heard.

4. Why is the GD'd chain so tricky to get just right? Mine is either too tight or smacking the forward most chair guard bolt under heavy load & chain sag. If I adjust per the manual and create no gap betwen the swing arm bottom and chain, it is a hair on the loose side. I've been futzing w/ it since I bought it. Thank goodness for the center stand.

I think that's it. I'm super happy with the bike and look forward to enjoying it.

Cheers-
DustyDude, welcome to the brotherhood...
I can only try to help you with this item (since I have the stock exhaust and I know nothing about that issue ):

4. I also have been fooling around with the chain tension when I bought my bike. I didn't like how it makes me feel it's loose, following the User's Manual procedure, but... some of the masters here told me the slapping is unavoidable and "better loose than tight" in order to preserve the countershaft health... Sooo... I hate that slapping, but apparently there is no way to avoid it, other than a soundless dualsport helmet and a good offroad ride
Yes, no good news, but the rest of the bike is just great...
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #7077
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
Anyone know of a source for the blue front fender of the 1999/2000 US models, or something close enough in color that would fit and not look ridiculous? It seems like there are no more from KTM, and I haven't found anything aftermarket either.
Similarly, I have heard from long ago that 2001 - 2007 rear plastic would fit on the '99/'00 models (being an all or none deal). Has anyone ever actually done this? My original plastic is still okay, but it's a bit faded and won't last forever for sure.
Which fender are you after and what do you refer to as a fender, front screen? (Pic link?)
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #7078
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,318
black goes with everything
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #7079
Jawk
Im lost again.

Oddometer: 222
Ive got one of these tanks and seat in the garage - apparently fits the 640adv, but ive never tried. Ive got a 250exc-e for the dirt stuff so dont feel the need. Let me know if its of interest and I'll look at selling...
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDave View Post
If you look around i'm sure you will find a standard tank and seat for a 625sxc as they gat swapped a lot for the larger ones. With the 9 litre tank and slim seat and a supermoto guard (trailtech instruments if you remove the originals) and 17" wheels it becomes a hooligan bike. I was lucky my mate did the work then I bought it.

cheers

David
Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #7080
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,318
do you have a rear fender? I really need one for my 640A
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote